Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Re: The Shroud and the jew: Barrie Schwortz at TEDx
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:17 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8532
nero wrote:
I think the biggest treason the the Roman Catholic Church is:

1st) Invention of the concept of purgatory. There is no indication in Jesus's teachings of that.
2nd) Status Ecclesiae, just opposite of Jesus again.

Luther had a point (Hus too). ;)
Quote:
abradley: {Snip}

nero wrote:
Not convincing at all. As for the Papal State(s) they did it because they could? :roll:

And if a Pope did it, it is not a crime or against Jesus' will. :lol:

And purgatory was good business in form of indulgence trading: "as soon as a coin in the coffer rings / the soul from purgatory springs."

Luther had a point.
First of all, what is your complaint against 'Papal States'?

Second, are you against 'purgatory' because it's wrong or because it was abused?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2601
abradley wrote:

"My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." -- Jesus

I don't think that Jesus meant that his followers should acquire earthly power in his name. Jesus made clear difference of heavenly domain and earthly domain.

abradley wrote:
Second, are you against 'purgatory' because it's wrong or because it was abused?

The idea of purgatory is not based on Jesus' teaching at all. You gave information of the origin of it, but later the concept came a power tool and money making machine.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:12 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9548
nero wrote:
abradley wrote:

"My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." -- Jesus

I don't think that Jesus meant that his followers should acquire earthly power in his name. Jesus made clear difference of heavenly domain and earthly domain.

abradley wrote:

The idea of purgatory is not based on Jesus' teaching at all. You gave information of the origin of it, but later the concept came a power tool and money making machine.

I think the part you are missing Nero is the part where the Roman authorities attempted to commit a genocide on the early Christians, to no avail; their plebes just kept on converting and practicing in secret.

Sort of like you miss the fact that Israel is surrounded and perennially under siege.

Under enough pressure, and heat, you can probably turn chocolate pudding into something like concrete . . .

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
I think the part you are missing Nero is the part where the Roman authorities attempted to commit a genocide on the early Christians, to no avail; their plebes just kept on converting and practicing in secret.

Sort of like you miss the fact that Israel is surrounded and perennially under siege.

Under enough pressure, and heat, you can probably turn chocolate pudding into something like concrete . . .

You make no sense. Or in other way you make nonsense.

Perhaps this is because of your ignorance about the subject. :roll:

So it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:58 pm 
First Sergeant

nero wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

You make no sense. Or in other way you make nonsense.

Perhaps this is because of your ignorance about the subject. :roll:

So it goes.

Ah okay :lol:

So how many university courses on ancient history have you completed?

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:

I may have, or may not. But it is not important. The most important is what you know. I have read books like Keepers of the Keys of Heaven. Over 500 pages of history of the papacy.

How about you, what do you know? :roll:

Obviously nothing, you are just trolling. :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:51 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 8532
nero wrote:
abradley wrote:

Your anti Papal states or Pope?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

abradley wrote:
nero wrote:

Your anti Papal states or Pope?

Again,

What part you don't understand?

Hint: there is only one part.

So it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:41 am 
First Sergeant

nero wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

I may have, or may not. But it is not important. The most important is what you know. I have read books like Keepers of the Keys of Heaven. Over 500 pages of history of the papacy.

How about you, what do you know? :roll:

Obviously nothing, you are just trolling. :twisted:

My ancient history bibliography is probably round about 20 books and as many scholarly articles. Just stuff I read over the years. Back in the academia days I made a habit of reading and keeping annotated bibliographies in Endnote, an application I no longer pay to keep installed on any of my machines . . . last count I remember for my complete bibliography was round about 5000 . . . mostly biology and psychology but smatterings from virtually every other natural science and social science.

I've read more, across more fields than you can even conceive. This is what they train you to do in anthropology graduate school: a book or two per day . . . I tell you, it takes all the joy out of reading it does, but at least you figure out that you don't actually have to read every word to understand what someone has to say.

Profile E-mail