It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Thought police at it again on Facebook
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:10 pm 
PFC

Reputation points: 1268
I understand that it is a public access site, though privately owned. The owners can do whatever they want, but lately I've been seeing lots of bans and posts deleted for silly 'infractions'.

I just received a 24 hour ban. My first ever. I had replied to a news post about about Neo-nazis violently clashing with pro-marijuana advocates in Eastern Europe. As a long-time user of THC and a former psych clinician I am well aware of the negative effects that marijuana has on the brain and behavior. I responded by outlining those and then explaining why the far right in those countries may be violently opposed to it (a Western 'negro' hobby that is not culturally compatible, and that it damages the hard work ethic).

It was purely intended as a neutral post. Being offensive was the last thing on my mind. Besides, I've written far worse things on FB, including inciting violence, but that was never addressed. Go figure.

SMH...was that really as offensive as they are making it out to be? Anyone else banned from FB for their posts?

geez

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Thought police at it again on Facebook
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19649
I have not been banned or received any warnings on Facebook, but that might be because my posting style there is a bit different than it is here.

Here, and on many other internet forums, I post under the name "Chijohnaok". It is anonymous, and does not easily identify my actual identity. In Facebook, where I essentially use my legal name (and my legal name is pretty unique (I would not be lost in a sea of 'John Smiths')) I post less often and am careful of what I post there. I also generally avoid posting @ more controversial topics. Many employers will check social media when doing background checks of prospective employees. Also, some people have lost their jobs over things that they posted in social media. I would be foolish to post something in Facebook that might impact my current professional life or might negatively impact me in a future job search.

{I don't know exactly what you posted or where, and am not saying that your Facebook post was foolish. That is for the poster to decide. I'm simply indicating what my Facebook posting style is}.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:56 am 
PFC

Well, I'm technically disabled but I list myself as a self-employed freelance writer, as I am aware of that slimy tactic. I simply pissed off the right people in the wrong page (Democracy NOW).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:57 am 
PFC

I also use a well-contrived Sock account to harass my enemies and post vile shit. All in good fun, of course.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19649
For me it's not that I conceived of "Chijohnaok" as a way of harassing people.

If I recall, I think I created the moniker when I registered at the Matrix Games forum (damn, that was over 14 years ago).
And I just continued using the same moniker on other forms, for various computer games, etc. Rather than creating a different identity for each site/game, etc it was easier to use the same one.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:48 pm 
PFC

Sure, but I use FB (w/ main acct) as a way to genuinely connect to extended family and friends. I don't need to hide anything or maintain a pseudonym there. I have a page for my Melanoma updates as well as my religious/pagan studies. I like to compartmentalize shit.

A sock acct is for everything I don't want connected to the primary account. I'm working on a new page called "Urban Savagery" that will be published soon. It's too intense for my family and close friends, but attracts lots of readers and fandom from the alt-right. I thought about calling it "Black Crimes Matter", but that would be too obvious for sensitive Libs. 8-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:31 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 17177
Overmann wrote:

A sock acct is for everything I don't want connected to the primary account. I'm working on a new page called "Urban Savagery" that will be published soon. It's too intense for my family and close friends, but attracts lots of readers and fandom from the alt-right. I thought about calling it "Black Crimes Matter", but that would be too obvious for sensitive Libs. 8-)

You'll definitely incite a bunch of insults and threats with that, on social media.

But I guess that's the point of you doing it? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:30 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14675
chijohnaok wrote:
For me it's not that I conceived of "Chijohnaok" as a way of harassing people.

If I recall, I think I created the moniker when I registered at the Matrix Games forum (damn, that was over 14 years ago).
And I just continued using the same moniker on other forms, for various computer games, etc. Rather than creating a different identity for each site/game, etc it was easier to use the same one.

Yeah. "EUBanana" dates from a time when internet handles were the absolute norm.

They still should be now, IMO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:09 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 16550
Thou shall not criticize Marijuana, in the name of Social Justice your account will be suspended and thousands of people will make death threats and spread rumors about your person.

This is the just Social Justice punishment for your transgressions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12874
I "banned" myself from all post-Facebook era social media about 6 years ago. Best decision I ever made.

I "banned" myself from television in the 1990s and that was the analogous predecessor . . .

Profile E-mail