It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: World War II
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:01 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6044
Poland started it, says Russia. Take note those of you who tend to follow the Russian narrative.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/09/02/poland-started-wwii-russia-reacts-to-80th-commemoration-snub-a67108

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: World War II
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:35 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 932
wulfir wrote:
Poland started it, says Russia. Take note those of you who tend to follow the Russian narrative.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/09/02/poland-started-wwii-russia-reacts-to-80th-commemoration-snub-a67108

"All textbooks need to specify once and for all: Poland is the main culprit of the start of World War II.” -- Vladimir Zhirinovsky

“It was Europe that nurtured Hitler against the U.S.S.R. and Poland was among those who applauded Hitler. It shot itself in the foot.” -- Vladimir Zhirinovsky

Nothing new. :roll:

Next is Trump supporting that line thinking. Just like he thinks that the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan was an anti-terrorist operation. :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Quote:
take note those of you who tend to follow the Russian narrative.

Which in America (USA, nero) is exactly 0 individuals.

Meanwhile, in non La-La land:

Skip 9:15 in to skip the introductions and listen to Dr Hanson.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 pm 
Sergeant Major

C_S wrote:
Quote:

Meanwhile, in non La-La land:

Skip 9:15 in to skip the introductions and listen to Dr Hanson.

I guess Nero might be under the impression that RT News (Russian owned news channel) is piped 24/7 into every American home and that people are required to watch it.

My cable provider (Frontier Fios) doesn’t offer it. In fact, very few US cable (and even satellite) providers carry RT.

Here is the complete list (from the RT Website):

Cable and Satellite TV providers:
Buckeye CableSystem
Channel Master
Content Media Rights
DIRECTV
Dish Networks
NEXTV
ROKU

The only “major” providers I recognize on that list are DIRECTV and Dish Networks.

Who does RT partner with?

From the RT Wikipedia entry:
Quote:
RT cooperates with a number of media sources in Russia and abroad, including private media like Izvestia, Kommersant, Trud, Nezavisimaya Gazeta, Vedomosti, Argumenty i Fakty and the non-Russian Association for International Broadcasting, Huffington Post and News.com.au.[4][98]

Huffington Post, a known propaganda outlet for Donald Trump and the Republican Party. :roll:

Also from Wikipedia:

Quote:
RT America is available to 85 million households throughout the United States.[109]

I would guess that is through DIRECTV and Dish Network.
I doubt that RT’ ratings (actual viewers) are very high.

I could probably log into their internet website...they probably stream their coverage there, but why bother.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:31 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 12189
I've had Dish and currently have Direct and I didn't even know it was in my lineup. I'll bet the vast majority of Americans who have access to it don't know it either. Of course Nero seems to be suspiciously aware of all the Russian news outlets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
Dr. Hanson makes good points: Versailles was not flawed because it was too punitive. It was flawed because it was punitive and cowardly/lazy/irresponsible. As he says: "It wasn't enforced."

Simple really.

I had already reached this conclusion a year or so ago. Germany even as of 1936 was a fucking pushover. Hell, even in 1939 they (on paper) were very weak compared to France, much less France with GB.

The French decision makers (mainly that one Field Marshal whose name eludes me) wanted to punish Germany, but then subsequent decision-makers failed to enforce those punishments.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:10 am 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Dr. Hanson makes good points: Versailles was not flawed because it was too punitive. It was flawed because it was punitive and cowardly/lazy/irresponsible. As he says: "It wasn't enforced."

Simple really.

I had already reached this conclusion a year or so ago. Germany even as of 1936 was a fucking pushover. Hell, even in 1939 they (on paper) were very weak compared to France, much less France with GB.

The French decision makers (mainly that one Field Marshal whose name eludes me) wanted to punish Germany, but then subsequent decision-makers failed to enforce those punishments.

From what I recall reading or seeing in some video/documentary when the Germans invaded Poland, Germany's western border was thinly guarded.
IIRC, they had only something like 10 division guarding the border with France (and these were 2nd or 3rd rate divisions at that[made up of reserve troops]). Also, the overwhelming majority of Luftwaffe units were in the Poland campaign and the air units on the French border were mostly older biplane fighters and the like.

IIRC, the French Army actually did push across the German border (with little resistance) but then for some reason crossed back into France.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

How is this in any way connected the current Russian view that Poland was culpable for the WWII? I think that was the crux of wulfir's post.

Just curious. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
How is this in any way connected the current Russian view that Poland was culpable for the WWII? I think that was the crux of wulfir's post.

Just curious. :roll:

I think it goes back to this:

C_S wrote:
Quote:

Most people in the US do not follow what Putin's/Russia's narrative on WW 2 is.

Russia has been lying about its activities during WW 2 since during the war:

Russia lied about its involvement in the invasion of Poland (and Poland allegedly starting the war).

That is the Katyn Massacre monument in Baltimore.
I saw it there during a business trip I took about 15 years ago.

Russia lied about its involvement in the massacre at Katyn,

Prior to the war it lied about its involvement in the Holodomor in Ukraine.

It's been lying ever since.

And that is why I do not trust the Russians about anything that they say.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Actually C_S was not quoting me. And do no 1 American who is agreeing with the Russian view. Do you (starts with m)? ;)

As for you, your background is a pretty good vaccination.

Profile E-mail