maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next
 Post subject: Re: Military stuff ... past and present.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:47 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 932
More Mark Fenton vignettes.

Mark on the mark.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:40 am 
Sergeant Major

The Jag killer incident.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:23 am 
Sergeant Major

Something from the past (and sort of still present as HMS Victory is still with us):

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:46 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
chijohnaok wrote:

*sigh* I dislike that guy more with every video I watch.

Only SECONDS in: "I'm going to talk about the 'effectiveness' or perhaps 'ineffectiveness' of bombardment in modern warfare . . ."

Only response that anyone with even a smidgen of training in military science can make: The 'effectiveness' of any given offensive measure is always relative to the various costs and disadvantages it imposes compared to other alternatives (bombarding an enemy position may have only imposed x casualties at z cost within y timeframe, but is there any other option which can impose x at <=z cost and <=y timeframe?). Moreover, the effectiveness maybe highly context dependent, with salient contextual factors including an almost infinite variety (scale, range, accuracy, target-acquisition, rate of fire, resilience to counter-fire, resilience to detection counter-measures, etc., etc., etc.).

So, the IDEA that he could adequately cover the topic in ONE video is absurd. In fact, the idea that he could sum up the 'effectiveness' of such a broad band of military offensive techniques as 'bombardment' at all is absurd!

This are my reactions within less than one minute in. But I'll go ahead an watch it, so I can eviscerate it further if necessary :P

ADDIT: so he has spent the first two minutes describing the day of the Typhoon and is clearly building up the straw man argument that because this particular operation had an effectiveness which was exaggerated, then bombardment is "ineffective." Gross overgeneralization and failure to acknowledge the fact that such things are always context dependent and relative.

ADDIT2: yeah, watched it on 2x speed up through about 5 minutes . . . he's slowly edging toward making a sound argument, but I'm not gonna subject myself to his tedium in order to see if he gets it or not. I'm sure you'll account for that right Chi?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

*sigh* I dislike that guy more with every video I watch.

Only SECONDS in: "I'm going to talk about the 'effectiveness' or perhaps 'ineffectiveness' of bombardment in modern warfare . . ."

Only response that anyone with even a smidgen of training in military science can make: The 'effectiveness' of any given offensive measure is always relative to the various costs and disadvantages it imposes compared to other alternatives (bombarding an enemy position may have only imposed x casualties at z cost within y timeframe, but is there any other option which can impose x at <=z cost and <=y timeframe?). Moreover, the effectiveness maybe highly context dependent, with salient contextual factors including an almost infinite variety (scale, range, accuracy, target-acquisition, rate of fire, resilience to counter-fire, resilience to detection counter-measures, etc., etc., etc.).

So, the IDEA that he could adequately cover the topic in ONE video is absurd. In fact, the idea that he could sum up the 'effectiveness' of such a broad band of military offensive techniques as 'bombardment' at all is absurd!

This are my reactions within less than one minute in. But I'll go ahead an watch it, so I can eviscerate it further if necessary :P

ADDIT: so he has spent the first two minutes describing the day of the Typhoon and is clearly building up the straw man argument that because this particular operation had an effectiveness which was exaggerated, then bombardment is "ineffective." Gross overgeneralization and failure to acknowledge the fact that such things are always context dependent and relative.

ADDIT2: yeah, watched it on 2x speed up through about 5 minutes . . . he's slowly edging toward making a sound argument, but I'm not gonna subject myself to his tedium in order to see if he gets it or not. I'm sure you'll account for that right Chi?

:roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:01 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6044
Quote:
"We want ground troops from Germany to partially replace our soldiers," Jeffrey said in an interview with the German Deutsche Presse-Agentur news agency and the weekly Welt am Sonntag newspaper, before adding that he expected an answer from the German government this month.

[url]
https://www.dw.com/en/us-calls-for-germ ... a-49501500

[/url]

Not sure Germany should be doing this, don't they have other priorities? :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:51 am 
Sergeant Major

The BOAC Stockholm route 1942-1944.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 am 
Sergeant Major

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next