maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Military stuff ... past and present.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:06 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15552
Having the Krauts wipe out the Russians in WW2 would have been a disaster for all of humanity. Glad it didn't happen. Everything that happened to 6th army and later Germany was deserved.

Modern Russia is an ongoing tragedy of stupid, corrupt leadership continuing to abuse its citizenry economically and socially. Regrettably, the rest of the world seems to be heading in the same direction. Globalism is destroying people worldwide. One can only hope that the feared-by-pundits populist/nationalist movements will grow even stronger.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:19 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
mdiehl wrote:
Having the Krauts wipe out the Russians in WW2 would have been a disaster for all of humanity. Glad it didn't happen. Everything that happened to 6th army and later Germany was deserved.

Modern Russia is an ongoing tragedy of stupid, corrupt leadership continuing to abuse its citizenry economically and socially. Regrettably, the rest of the world seems to be heading in the same direction. Globalism is destroying people worldwide. One can only hope that the feared-by-pundits populist/nationalist movements will grow even stronger.

Well said. Rep Nazi blocked :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:40 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
A little something from the American Civil War:

Quote:
USArmyWarCollege
Published on Jul 9, 2013

Steve Knott, Army War College, discusses how and why Confederate Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart ended up in Carlisle while the rest of the Confederates were converging on Gettysburg.

(I just started watching it so have no comments on the content yet)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:32 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
Watched it, good stuff.

Would Rep you but your maxed out. :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
I watched the video too. But Stuart's poor performance remains mostly unexplained. :roll:

Just unlike the lecturer's sympathies. :lol:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:27 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
nero wrote:
I watched the video too. But Stuart's poor performance remains mostly unexplained. :roll:

'Stuart's poor performance is unexplained', are you sure you watched the video?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

abradley wrote:
nero wrote:

Certainly I watched the video. It covers Stuart's actions in the very end and very little. No wonder that Lee was pissed of after Gettysburg. Stuart was supposed to be the eyes of Lee's army, the role of the cavalry. But the Gettysburg campaign the union cavalry was doing better than Stuart. And the union cavalry had such luminaries as Custer and "Kilcavalry" Kilpatrick. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
nero wrote:
abradley wrote:

Certainly I watched the video. It covers Stuart's actions in the very end and very little. No wonder that Lee was pissed of after Gettysburg. Stuart was supposed to be the eyes of Lee's army, the role of the cavalry. But the Gettysburg campaign the union cavalry was doing better than Stuart. And the union cavalry had such luminaries as Custer and "Kilcavalry" Kilpatrick. :roll:

It's pretty much impossible for you to say anything intelligent and constructive isn't it?

J.E.B. Stuart had a rivalry with the two commanders of the regular cavalry brigades which did not accompany him on his ride to the Union rear. He assigned both of these men to guard the CSA rear (where they were useless to Lee as scouts); in case it didn't click with you this was a misuse of these assets which was strictly an effort to slight both men because of Stuart's rivalry with them. This left Lee with two brigades of irregulars, which he had a distinct bias against; he did not trust irregular soldiers, so he did not make effective use of these troops to maintain his theater awareness. That at least is the story told by the presenter and one which you apparently failed either to hear or to understand. The message is that: stupid personal rivalries and stupid personal bias on the part of these two "great southrons" are what (the presenter) is identifying as the key reason for the battle to have unfolded the way it did, in CSA defeat.

I think the presentation is a bit of a simplification. There were, as far as I'm aware MANY bad decisions and failures on the part of Lee and his commanders (the failure to take the hill on the opening day of the battle when an entire CSA regiment were held back by a Union cavalry brigades comes to mind), but the point of this talk was to focus on interpersonal relations and bias and how those shape command decisions and operational failures.

The presenter acknowledged his southern nostalgia, but the fact he is teaching that these two famous southern commanders fucked up bad belies any supposed "sympathy" which you seem to feel brings his credibility into question.

Imagine that: a stupid fuck cannot comprehend when the message is that being a stupid fuck leads to lost battles and lost wars . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
nero wrote:

It's pretty much impossible for you to say anything intelligent and constructive isn't it?

J.E.B. Stuart had a rivalry with the two commanders of the regular cavalry brigades which did not accompany him on his ride to the Union rear. He assigned both of these men to guard the CSA rear (where they were useless to Lee as scouts); in case it didn't click with you this was a misuse of these assets which was strictly an effort to slight both men because of Stuart's rivalry with them. This left Lee with two brigades of irregulars, which he had a distinct bias against; he did not trust irregular soldiers, so he did not make effective use of these troops to maintain his theater awareness. That at least is the story told by the presenter and one which you apparently failed either to hear or to understand. The message is that: stupid personal rivalries and stupid personal bias on the part of these two "great southrons" are what (the presenter) is identifying as the key reason for the battle to have unfolded the way it did, in CSA defeat.

I think the presentation is a bit of a simplification. There were, as far as I'm aware MANY bad decisions and failures on the part of Lee and his commanders (the failure to take the hill on the opening day of the battle when an entire CSA regiment were held back by a Union cavalry brigades comes to mind), but the point of this talk was to focus on interpersonal relations and bias and how those shape command decisions and operational failures.

The presenter acknowledged his southern nostalgia, but the fact he is teaching that these two famous southern commanders fucked up bad belies any supposed "sympathy" which you seem to feel brings his credibility into question.

Imagine that: a stupid fuck cannot comprehend when the message is that being a stupid fuck leads to lost battles and lost wars . . .

I don't post here to please, I post mainly what I think about various topics. If something I write is something you don't agree with, that is just natural. But if you think that it is intelligent and constructive to always agree with you, I just have to laugh. :lol:

But then Lee didn't lose in Gettysburg because Stuart's performance, Lee did his own mistakes.

So it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Quote:
But then Lee didn't lose in Gettysburg because Stuart's performance, Lee did his own mistakes.

Correct, Lee did lose at Gettysburg for a number of reasons.

However, reconnaissance was an important responsibility for what the cavalry did in 19th century warfare.

That Stuart, Lee’s “eyes” for where Union troops were located and moving to and from, was out of position, certainly didn’t help things.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next