maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Military stuff ... past and present.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
wulfir wrote:
No Amazon in Sweden... :)

You don't need to purchase it from Amazon.

You can purchase it here as well:

https://www.beicbooks.com/product-page/ ... nd-edition

Although upon closer look it said that they are currently "Out of stock".

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:06 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
Amazon UK and Amazon Germany are both in English and deliver stuff sometimes faster than the local firms and always with less postal fees!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14095
I wish the "best" solutions to modern problems didn't always seem to gravitate toward massive overly powerful tending toward monopolistic transnational corporations. But it seems that is a bit like wishing that evolution did not work by natural selection, and instead promoted only the "good/nice stuff" in nature.

Ah well . . . in time, other firms will have refurbished themselves and slowly edged into Amazon's domain sufficiently to pose some real competition to them, and by then perhaps Amazon will have gone sufficiently drunk with its power that it is in fact committing monopolistic and harmful practices that are sufficiently brazen that they get taken down a few pegs. This seems to be the nature of the "free market" evolutionary cycle.

It happened with the railroads, it happened with the textile manufacturers, it happened with the exotic fruit and produce distributors, it happened with the oil industry, it happened with Walmart, it happened with Microsoft, and it will likely happen with Amazon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
Anthropoid wrote:
I wish the "best" solutions to modern problems didn't always seem to gravitate toward massive overly powerful tending toward monopolistic transnational corporations. But it seems that is a bit like wishing that evolution did not work by natural selection, and instead promoted only the "good/nice stuff" in nature.

Ah well . . . in time, other firms will have refurbished themselves and slowly edged into Amazon's domain sufficiently to pose some real competition to them, and by then perhaps Amazon will have gone sufficiently drunk with its power that it is in fact committing monopolistic and harmful practices that are sufficiently brazen that they get taken down a few pegs. This seems to be the nature of the "free market" evolutionary cycle.

It happened with the railroads, it happened with the textile manufacturers, it happened with the exotic fruit and produce distributors, it happened with the oil industry, it happened with Walmart, it happened with Microsoft, and it will likely happen with Amazon.

And on smaller scale it keeps happening all over the place all the time.

The funny thing is that you don't need to dominate the market to get big, fat and complacent. Plenty of folks are like that before they can really afford to!

And all of those "you are not welcome to our regressive left - liberal store" - they go to the other store that caters to their needs, who smile at having them there and so on. Customers can take some shit for a good deal but everyone has a limit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:15 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4670
chijohnaok wrote:
You don't need to purchase it from Amazon.

Thx! But I'll wait. It might pop up in EPUB format.

Tried once to order some kids toys from amazon.de - wasn't possible, don't remember what the reason was exactly but I haven't bothered to try again. I have too many books. My wife demands I chuck out a book for every new one I buy. I argue that they are my sort of my friends but she is relentless... :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:20 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14552
Move to the US. U can sell your house in Regulation Land and buy one twice as large with enough room for your own library. :mrgreen:

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:50 pm 
Staff Sergeant

mdiehl wrote:
Move to the US.

My wife is Canadian. I'll be hard to sell that idea, she figures Canada is the best country in the world, better even than Sweden...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Listened to a translated interview with Juri Rybin - who wrote a book about the Soviet figher ace Boris Safanov.

Rybin claims:

*The old Soviet sources are problematic because in the USSR it the propaganda was the most important, not facts. It is better today (2018) regarding how history is dealt with but could be even better. Some documents are unreachable. Especially documents from the general staff regarding the start of the war.

*On veterans - some speak the truth. Some belive they speak the truth.

*On the public interest in Russia for WWII - the younger generations are not too keen. People aged 50-60 are more interested.

*He has not noticed any Russian political interest in spinning the history of WWII.

*There are many legends about German pilots (speaking about the air war in the high north) and when shot down they tended to be "enlarged" (they were special air crew with modified air craft etc) when in reality they were highly ordinary German pilots...

*Many Soviet veterans exaggerated. The Ju 88 that emergency landed in Soviet territory (again, the high north) was patched up by the Soviets but caught fire on the first test killing all in the crew. Veterans who claim to have flown this particular aircraft did not.

*Much of the equipment in the north was of American and British origin. To learn how to fly a Hurricane did not take long - but an Aircobra was worse. It took a month to learn. :D

*Hurricane was easy to learn how to fly. It was easy to control. This was very important early on when the Soviet air units quickly expanded and pilots were needed in the air pronto. It was a good plane to chase German attack air over the ocean.

*Early in the war 80-90% of the fighers were of American/British origin. Late war it was 60%.

*Late war Soviet air crew were given longer times in training before being comitted to action than their German opponents.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:08 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14552
wulfir wrote:
My wife is Canadian. I'll be hard to sell that idea, she figures Canada is the best country in the world, better even than Sweden...

Canada is ok. But I know plenty of Canadians that immigrated to the US and became US citizens. Canada and the US are basically similar except that the US has been expected to carry the world's weight on Americans' shoulders, and Canada has not. This has created substantial differences in foreign policy realpolitik.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:38 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14095
wulfir wrote:
Listened to a translated interview with Juri Rybin - who wrote a book about the Soviet figher ace Boris Safanov.

Rybin claims:

*The old Soviet sources are problematic because in the USSR it the propaganda was the most important, not facts. It is better today (2018) regarding how history is dealt with but could be even better. Some documents are unreachable. Especially documents from the general staff regarding the start of the war.

*On veterans - some speak the truth. Some belive they speak the truth.

*On the public interest in Russia for WWII - the younger generations are not too keen. People aged 50-60 are more interested.

*He has not noticed any Russian political interest in spinning the history of WWII.

*There are many legends about German pilots (speaking about the air war in the high north) and when shot down they tended to be "enlarged" (they were special air crew with modified air craft etc) when in reality they were highly ordinary German pilots...

*Many Soviet veterans exaggerated. The Ju 88 that emergency landed in Soviet territory (again, the high north) was patched up by the Soviets but caught fire on the first test killing all in the crew. Veterans who claim to have flown this particular aircraft did not.

*Much of the equipment in the north was of American and British origin. To learn how to fly a Hurricane did not take long - but an Aircobra was worse. It took a month to learn. :D

*Hurricane was easy to learn how to fly. It was easy to control. This was very important early on when the Soviet air units quickly expanded and pilots were needed in the air pronto. It was a good plane to chase German attack air over the ocean.

*Early in the war 80-90% of the fighers were of American/British origin. Late war it was 60%.

*Late war Soviet air crew were given longer times in training before being comitted to action than their German opponents.

The skew in number of fighter aces in WWII is quite shocking. There is a page on wiki that lists every single one of them . . . ah here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... lying_aces

Just scroll down that page a bit and you'll get what I'm talkin' bout
Germany,
Germany,
Germany,
Germany,
Germany, etc.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next