maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: Military stuff ... past and present.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:04 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14215
abradley wrote:
Quote:
Soviet-era screw-propelled truck returns
By Dan Elsom, The Sun
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/10/05/ ... turns.html

In the comments there are some questions as to by who and when the screw vehicle were first used.

Our nickname for infantry is 'lawn drill' but the Russians managed to create a machine version of a lawn drill. At least it is almost faster than an infantryman though I find much higher utility from the ATVs and snowmobiles that we use. At least they move faster than infantry and use less fuel than a full sized truck.

I really liked the Ekranoplan design though. I keep wondering, had it been invented in the West if it would have been economical to use it for oceanic transportation - rapid delivery of urgent shipments, 1,000 tons of cargo at rapid rates across Atlantic and Pacific. But I don't know how much it cost to build and operate so it could be just pure lunacy, a technological budget killing monster.

Also interested of it's capabilities in poor weather.

:edit:

Read a bit more about WIG (wing in ground) and apparently there's been research to them since soon after Wright brothers. The problems are indeed related to poor weather and cost of developing such vehicles. They're classed as maritime craft and could one day be low cost, low weight and high speed vehicles carrying cargo and passengers across seas. However, seas have frequent bad weather and high waves so whether that will ever become a reality is under question. Certainly despite almost a century of research into them there's no rush by logistics and transportation investors to invest in them.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21