maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: How I began to teach about the Vietnam War
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:59 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5632
jwilkerson wrote:
For the Vietnamese people, it wasn't about ho ... it was about independence from furriners ... do they have a holiday for ho ? no. Do they have an independence day ? yes.

For the Vietnamese people, ho was a means to an end ... they still have a long ways to go ... but independence was a big step.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_ho ... in_Vietnam

May 19th-Ho Chi Minh's Birthday

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:29 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14427
Vietnam official 2018 holidays
==
1st Jan New Year's Day
14-20 Feb Lunar New Year's Day
25th April Hung King's Day
30th April Dien Bien Phu Victory
1st May Labor's Day
2nd Sept Independent Day
3th Sept Substitute Day (for 2ndSept)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:35 am 
Staff Sergeant

jwilkerson wrote:
Vietnam official 2018 holidays
==
1st Jan New Year's Day
14-20 Feb Lunar New Year's Day
25th April Hung King's Day
30th April Dien Bien Phu Victory
1st May Labor's Day
2nd Sept Independent Day
3th Sept Substitute Day (for 2ndSept)

"Other Holidays"

May 19 "Asian Colonel Sanders' B-day....

As Andy pointed out for "not being particularly communist" the Vietnamese Communist Party sure can prosecute you for not being communist.

I get it, you love Vietnam...hey what's not to love I spoke smatterings of Vietnamese having grown up around boat people....

I also get you are willing to Jedi handwave away their wacky commie hijinks.

My feelings on Fwance are well known, but I know what happened to my Vietnamese friends' cousins when the North decided it was time to "re-educate" the South.

By the way given I guess you are saying Ho is "just another Nguyen" over there they renamed Ho Chi Minh City "Saigon" while I was away?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Source for above holiday list is our Vietnam Team HR.

My perspective is based on working directly with ~200 different VN based team members over the past 11 years ... other perspectives are welcome ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:31 pm 
Staff Sergeant

jwilkerson wrote:
Source for above holiday list is our Vietnam Team HR.

My perspective is based on working directly with ~200 different VN based team members over the past 11 years ... other perspectives are welcome ...

Wonderful, my perspective is from aiding about three dozen Vietnamese nationals in getting their citizenship papers.

Ho Chi Minh, "just another Nguyen" not the perspective I have ever gotten from a Vietnamese, just like I have never gotten "Pol Pot" just another "Saloth."

I wonder what we could have done to prevent Pol Pot from murdering 8-20% of his population....maybe sent him some pizza or something when he was a campus commie at "Radio Electronique" school....

or maybe just maybe he was an evil cocksucker, just like Ho Chi Minh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

Right, so my story is that about 15 years ago, back in 2002, I went to work for a new company, still in the semi-conductor equipment manufacturing business, but my new boss was Vietnamese ... she had been a boat person and she her mother and 6 other siblings had left right after the collapse and had somehow gotten to the Philippines and then ultimately to Kansas City. Later, somehow, her father also was able to get to Kansas City. She grew up in KC and did all her grade school in KC, but then family moved to the Bay Area, where she went to school and got CSE degree and got a job as a programmer. I don't think it is too relevant, but maybe someone will, but her family was and is catholic. Ultimately she got promoted up the ranks and became a Senior Director. After the merger of our companies, I was also a senior director coming from my company, but her company was the acquiring company, so she was the boss. She really wanted to set up a Vietnam Team, in Vietnam, I think for two reasons, one, because the manpower would be lower cost, but perhaps more important to her personally was to feel like she was helping the kids in the country where she was born.
So, we did. It was her strategy, but I was a key in execution and I setup and ran the technology teams. Others were involved in setting up finance and HR teams. By the time the next merger came along, we had around 150 employees in Hanoi.
After I left that company, I have repeated the strategy in my new company and now we have a team of nine engineers in our new Vietnam team. Over the years we had some turn over and had to replace people, hence the total number of people I've known and worked with in Hanoi is around 200.
For years, my attitude was that I would never forgive the VN for the savagery they displayed during the war. And I feel the same about the moozlums now. But, I've surprised myself. And, fundamentally, I think we would've been better off with the Vietnamese as "friends" since 1946, than going down the path we went down. Right now, against China, I would say VN is the most useful "friend" we have. Because I believe they will never allow the Chinese to rule them. Their history for 2000 years is the evidence.
I cannot praise their gubermint. I don't praise our gubermint. But the regular people on the street, the people I work with, are like us, they want the same things and they don't trust their gubermint either. In fact they ask me to tell them the truth about the VN war because they don't believe what they learned in school. The main difference between the people I've worked with in Vietnam and in USA, is the VN people HATE the Chinese 1000 times more than the average USA person does. And that is worth noting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:11 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 12978

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:34 pm 
buck private

Quote:
A memoir by a former Vietnamese refugee who became a U.S. Marine, Quang Pham’s A Sense of Duty is an affecting story of fate, hope, and the aftermath of the most divisive war the United States has ever fought. This heartfelt salute to the spirit of America is also the account of the author’s reunion with his long-absent father, Hoa Pham, himself a devoted officer who saw combat firsthand as a South Vietnamese fighter pilot. Hoa’s revelations about his wartime experience leave Quang even more conflicted about his service in the Marines in the first Gulf War, and after years of struggling to reconnect with each other and the homeland they left behind, the two set out on a final, profound quest—to make sense of the war in Vietnam.

Tracing Quang Pham’s uniquely spirited yet agonizing journey from his experiences as an uprooted refugee to his becoming a combat aviator, A Sense of Duty reveals the turmoil of a family torn apart and reunited by the fortunes of war. It is an American journey like no other.
https://www.amazon.com/Sense-Duty-Journ ... 0891418768

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:00 pm 
buck private

Garth Porter was anti Vietnam War during the war, naturally I disagree with his conclusions.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6