Post subject: Hats off to Elon Musk
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:17 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2776
Tesla goes open source.

Elon Musk, CEO wrote:

June 12, 2014

All Our Patent Are Belong To You

Yesterday, there was a wall of Tesla patents in the lobby of our Palo Alto headquarters. That is no longer the case. They have been removed, in the spirit of the open source movement, for the advancement of electric vehicle technology.

Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology.

When I started out with my first company, Zip2, I thought patents were a good thing and worked hard to obtain them. And maybe they were good long ago, but too often these days they serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession, rather than the actual inventors. After Zip2, when I realized that receiving a patent really just meant that you bought a lottery ticket to a lawsuit, I avoided them whenever possible.

At Tesla, however, we felt compelled to create patents out of concern that the big car companies would copy our technology and then use their massive manufacturing, sales and marketing power to overwhelm Tesla. We couldn’t have been more wrong. The unfortunate reality is the opposite: electric car programs (or programs for any vehicle that doesn’t burn hydrocarbons) at the major manufacturers are small to non-existent, constituting an average of far less than 1% of their total vehicle sales.

At best, the large automakers are producing electric cars with limited range in limited volume. Some produce no zero emission cars at all.

Given that annual new vehicle production is approaching 100 million per year and the global fleet is approximately 2 billion cars, it is impossible for Tesla to build electric cars fast enough to address the carbon crisis. By the same token, it means the market is enormous. Our true competition is not the small trickle of non-Tesla electric cars being produced, but rather the enormous flood of gasoline cars pouring out of the world’s factories every day.

We believe that Tesla, other companies making electric cars, and the world would all benefit from a common, rapidly-evolving technology platform.

Technology leadership is not defined by patents, which history has repeatedly shown to be small protection indeed against a determined competitor, but rather by the ability of a company to attract and motivate the world’s most talented engineers. We believe that applying the open source philosophy to our patents will strengthen rather than diminish Tesla’s position in this regard.

Wow! :mrgreen:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hats off to Elon Musk
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:30 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
Yeah he seems pretty cool. But eventually I suspect he'll crash and burn. It is good to push the envelope and be driven to do new and better things, but that guy seems to take it to all possible extremes.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Yeah he seems pretty cool. But eventually I suspect he'll crash and burn. It is good to push the envelope and be driven to do new and better things, but that guy seems to take it to all possible extremes.

When you push the envelope, by default you have to go to extremes. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15259
Quote:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/En ... car-growth

Can an open-source Tesla Motors spur electric car growth?

Tesla Motors' Elon Musk has opened up his company's patents, hoping automakers will start putting more electric cars on the road. But electric cars have a long road ahead before going mainstream.
By Ellen Meyers, Staff writer JUNE 14, 2014
Stephen Lam/Reuters/FileView Caption

Luxury electric carmaker Tesla Motors has opened up all of its patents to other automakers in an effort to advance electric vehicle technology. The California-based company will not sue anyone who wants to use its technology ‘in good faith,’ chief executive Elon Musk announced in a blog Thursday.

Electric car programs at major automakers are minuscule, making up of less than one percent of manufacturers’ total vehicle sales. Despite rising sales and technological advances, electric cars remain a small fraction of global sales, and many drivers remain skeptical of the technology. By opening up its patents, Tesla Motors hopes to change that.

“It has the potential of being an important deal,” says John O’Dell, a senior editor for Edmunds.com. “It is important to Telsa as much as to anybody else. Tesla needs a vibrant electric car market in order to succeed.”

If everything works out, technology for Tesla Motors’ battery and Supercharger system could become the industry standard for electric cars, Mr. O’Dell says. But Tesla needs more people – both automakers and consumers – to be interested in electric cars and understand the potential environmental benefits, he adds.

The whole world is watching! FIFA World Cup 2014
“At best, the large automakers are producing electric cars with limited range in limited volume,” Mr. Musk wrote in the post. “Some produce no zero emission cars at all.

Electric cars can be up to three times as efficient as gasoline-powered cars, according to Consumer Reports. Electric motors are 90 percent efficient at converting energy into motion, while conventional cars and hybrids are 30 to 40 percent efficiency for converting energy.

Still, the energy used in electric cars isn't always as eco-friendly as it may seem. Mining for the materials used in the vehicles’ motors and batteries can be ‘environmentally nasty,’ O’Dell says, and that using electricity coming from coal isn’t green.

Those drawbacks, however, don’t outweigh electric cars’ overall positive effect on the environment as the world shifts toward cleaner fuels, O’Dell says.

In the meantime, people will have to wait to see how Tesla Motors’ open patents will change electric cars and the environment, if at all. It is too soon to see how quickly automakers will adapt Tesla Motors' technology, says Karl Brauer, senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book.

On Friday, BMW and Tesla Motors met to discuss the future of electric cars and charging stations. The costs and logistics of putting charging stations across the country are important to consider for implementing more electric cars, both Brauer and O'Dell say.

Automakers are also experimenting with other alternative fuels. Toyota had recently announced it was moving toward hydrogen fuel cells and moving away from battery-powered electric cars, Brauer says. Toyota has been known to champion its Prius, a fully-hybrid electric car, so this move speaks volume, he adds.

"Think about how many Priuses have been sold in the last 15 years and how much of a hybrid effort they put out there," Brauer says.

It cannot be a good sign that Toyota, probably the most successful automaker in this niche, is withdrawing from the hybrid/electric market.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:06 pm 
First Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:
Quote:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/En ... car-growth

Can an open-source Tesla Motors spur electric car growth?

Tesla Motors' Elon Musk has opened up his company's patents, hoping automakers will start putting more electric cars on the road. But electric cars have a long road ahead before going mainstream.
By Ellen Meyers, Staff writer JUNE 14, 2014
Stephen Lam/Reuters/FileView Caption

Luxury electric carmaker Tesla Motors has opened up all of its patents to other automakers in an effort to advance electric vehicle technology. The California-based company will not sue anyone who wants to use its technology ‘in good faith,’ chief executive Elon Musk announced in a blog Thursday.

Electric car programs at major automakers are minuscule, making up of less than one percent of manufacturers’ total vehicle sales. Despite rising sales and technological advances, electric cars remain a small fraction of global sales, and many drivers remain skeptical of the technology. By opening up its patents, Tesla Motors hopes to change that.

“It has the potential of being an important deal,” says John O’Dell, a senior editor for Edmunds.com. “It is important to Telsa as much as to anybody else. Tesla needs a vibrant electric car market in order to succeed.”

If everything works out, technology for Tesla Motors’ battery and Supercharger system could become the industry standard for electric cars, Mr. O’Dell says. But Tesla needs more people – both automakers and consumers – to be interested in electric cars and understand the potential environmental benefits, he adds.

The whole world is watching! FIFA World Cup 2014
“At best, the large automakers are producing electric cars with limited range in limited volume,” Mr. Musk wrote in the post. “Some produce no zero emission cars at all.

Electric cars can be up to three times as efficient as gasoline-powered cars, according to Consumer Reports. Electric motors are 90 percent efficient at converting energy into motion, while conventional cars and hybrids are 30 to 40 percent efficiency for converting energy.

Still, the energy used in electric cars isn't always as eco-friendly as it may seem. Mining for the materials used in the vehicles’ motors and batteries can be ‘environmentally nasty,’ O’Dell says, and that using electricity coming from coal isn’t green.

Those drawbacks, however, don’t outweigh electric cars’ overall positive effect on the environment as the world shifts toward cleaner fuels, O’Dell says.

In the meantime, people will have to wait to see how Tesla Motors’ open patents will change electric cars and the environment, if at all. It is too soon to see how quickly automakers will adapt Tesla Motors' technology, says Karl Brauer, senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book.

On Friday, BMW and Tesla Motors met to discuss the future of electric cars and charging stations. The costs and logistics of putting charging stations across the country are important to consider for implementing more electric cars, both Brauer and O'Dell say.

Automakers are also experimenting with other alternative fuels. Toyota had recently announced it was moving toward hydrogen fuel cells and moving away from battery-powered electric cars, Brauer says. Toyota has been known to champion its Prius, a fully-hybrid electric car, so this move speaks volume, he adds.

"Think about how many Priuses have been sold in the last 15 years and how much of a hybrid effort they put out there," Brauer says.

It cannot be a good sign that Toyota, probably the most successful automaker in this niche, is withdrawing from the hybrid/electric market.

That is because electricity still cannot be stored with nearly the same efficiency and compactness that refined petro products offer.

Until the batteries are as good or better than the gas tanks at storing the power, all this hybrid/green/electric shit is really just enviro-masturbation.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
That is because electricity still cannot be stored with nearly the same efficiency and compactness that refined petro products offer.

Until the batteries are as good or better than the gas tanks at storing the power, all this hybrid/green/electric shit is really just enviro-masturbation.

Not so.

Just because the electricity is more easily transformed, the storage density has not to be better than gas for the break even. And the technology makes advances...

So it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:05 pm 
First Sergeant

nero wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

Not so.

Just because the electricity is more easily transformed, the storage density has not to be better than gas for the break even. And the technology makes advances...

So it goes.

What is the maximum range at highway cruising speed for the best electric out there? My gas powered 1996 civic can go about 300 miles on that tiny little 12 gallon tank. If the best full electric cannot go at least twice that, then it is not as good, for simple reason: where am I going to recharge my battery in Bowling Green Kentucky (which is just under the civics max range on one tank) as quickly and cheaply as I'm able to refill my tank?

Which brings up the 2nd major problem to widespread acceptance of electrics: national infrastructure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
What is the maximum range at highway cruising speed for the best electric out there? My gas powered 1996 civic can go about 300 miles on that tiny little 12 gallon tank. If the best full electric cannot go at least twice that, then it is not as good, for simple reason: where am I going to recharge my battery in Bowling Green Kentucky (which is just under the civics max range on one tank) as quickly and cheaply as I'm able to refill my tank?

Which brings up the 2nd major problem to widespread acceptance of electrics: national infrastructure.

Things will change. The sooner, the better. The rationale for Tesla going open source is to make the new technologies more available for all parties.

And I think it is a good thing.

So it goes.

Last edited by nero on Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:14 pm 
First Sergeant

I'm in no way "opposed" to the development of alternative energy sources. I just try to be pragmatic and realistic about it and not suffer from any form of religious devotion ;)

We live in a capitalist world, no matter how hard moralists might like to leverage "green morals" to force changes. End of the day, bullshit is still bullshit no matter how "environmentally conscious" it is or is not.

Hybrids or electrics seem okay for city driving. But then I don't know what they cost, what repair schedules are like, how much parts cost, etc. I would assume that owning an electric or hybrid is more expensive and more of a hassle at this point, though assuming the technology to make them competitive with gas powered those downsides _may_ eventually change.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
I'm in no way "opposed" to the development of alternative energy sources. I just try to be pragmatic and realistic about it and not suffer from any form of religious devotion ;)

We live in a capitalist world, no matter how hard moralists might like to leverage "green morals" to force changes. End of the day, bullshit is still bullshit no matter how "environmentally conscious" it is or is not.

Hybrids or electrics seem okay for city driving. But then I don't know what they cost, what repair schedules are like, how much parts cost, etc. I would assume that owning an electric or hybrid is more expensive and more of a hassle at this point, though assuming the technology to make them competitive with gas powered those downsides _may_ eventually change.

Things will change...

Profile E-mail