maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


It's the Gulag of Fun



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Idiots of the world unite!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:04 pm 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 16734
Reputation points: 12812
chijohnaok wrote:
So how is that $15/hr minimum wage working out for you Seattle?

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... or_ya.html

Quote:
February 20, 2016

Hey, Seattle! How's that $15 minimum wage working out for ya?

By Rick Moran

The American Enterprise Institute blog reveals the not very surprising news that 10 months into Seattle's radical experiment of boosting the minimum wage to $15 an hour over a period of years, the city has suffered the worst job losses since the Great Recession.




Quite a few people believe their fantastical philosophies override blatantly obvious Cause & Effect when it comes to many things. :roll:

In this case, supply & demand of a resource.

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idiots of the world unite!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:25 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 22625
Reputation points: 14860
***Seattle Bistro*****


Tilapia Fish Tacos.........$22
Flatbread Pizza (with actual cheese/serves one guy or two girls trying to lose weight)........$32
1/2 pound burger (for cheese add $4, $3 for tomato)................$19
Iced Tea.........$8

_________________
I haven't figured out how to the block thingy works but if anyone alters my posts I will become really, really angry and throw monkey poop out of my cage.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idiots of the world unite!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:16 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 25388
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 13998
jack t ripper wrote:
***Seattle Bistro*****


Tilapia Fish Tacos.........$22
Flatbread Pizza (with actual cheese/serves one guy or two girls trying to lose weight)........$32
1/2 pound burger (for cheese add $4, $3 for tomato)................$19
Iced Tea.........$8



Anyone want to speculate on whether any of the employees earning their "living wage" at this bistro could actually afford to purchase a non discounted meal at the place they work at?

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idiots of the world unite!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:22 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 25388
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 13998
Raising taxes will always result in more tax income for government---or so the tax increasers would have you believe.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... olicy.html

Quote:
April 10, 2016

New Jersey faces budget crisis over soak-the-rich policy

By Thomas Lifson

ew Jersey, like California and a number of other states (do I have to even mention they are dominated by Democrats?) relies heavily on taxes that soak the rich. While feeling virtuous over redistributing income expropriating wealth and giving it to supporters, they also place themselves at risk. You see, the rich are not like you and me, to quote F. Scott Fitzgerald. They are very, very mobile.

Lindsay Putnam of the New York Post reports:

One man could cause a budget crisis in New Jersey — by moving out of the state.

Billionaire David Tepper has moved from New Jersey to Florida, and the loss of his income tax could leave a $140 million hole.

The 58-year-old founder of the hedge fund Appaloosa Management — who Forbes estimates is worth $11.4 billion — registered to vote in Florida in October, listing a Miami Beach condo as his permanent address, and he filed a court document in December declaring himself a resident of the tax-friendly state.

He also opened a branch of ­Appaloosa in South Beach, though the headquarters will remain in Short Hills, NJ.

The move could leave a devastating deficit in New Jersey’s income-tax revenue, Bloomberg News reported.

Forty percent of the state’s revenue comes from personal-income tax — a third of which is collected from less than 1 percent of taxpayers. Tepper was New Jersey’s wealthiest resident.

“We may be facing an unusual degree of income-tax forecast risk,” Frank Haines, the budget and finance officer at the state Office of Legislative Services, told a Senate committee in Trenton Tuesday.

He added that even just a 1 percent deduction in income-tax revenue could create a $140 million gap in the state’s budget.


Putnam reports that New Jersey also has an estate tax and an inheritance tax, which is more wealth-repellant. And while the state’s income tax is “only” 8.97% (California’s is 10.75%, last I checked), the state legislature Democrats have tried to equal California’s rate, only to suffer repeated vetoes by Governor Chris Christie.

I see nothing about NJ’s capital gains tax, but California takes a big cut there, something which balloons the state’s tax revenue when the high tech sector creates billionaires.

But California has a benign climate, fantastic scenery, and a lotus eating lifestyle that many affluent people (but fewer and fewer in the middle class) find worth the extra cost. And, many high tech people have to be in California to keep up, and to recruit. But New Jersey has few special claims to keep rich people serving as financial sheep to be sheared. Both states deserve to, and eventually will, run out of rich people to exploit. The blue model is simply unsustainable. Florida, Texas, and other low tax states will continue to grow and accumulate people, wealth, and sophistication, leaving behind bankrupt (financially, intellectually, and morally) states.


_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idiots of the world unite!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:37 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 25388
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 13998
http://hotair.com/archives/2016/04/16/c ... wage-hike/

Quote:
California clothing manufacturers fleeing minimum wage hike

POSTED AT 8:31 AM ON APRIL 16, 2016 BY JAZZ SHAW


A fifteen dollar per hour minimum wage is coming to California, so break out the champagne and let’s get this party started! Unless you work in the apparel manufacturing industry, that is, in which case you may want to start looking for some cheaper drinks since you’ll likely be out of a job soon. Once the home to a large segment of the American clothing manufacturing industry, California apparel manufacturers have already been hit by skyrocketing commercial real estate value and rising supply chain costs, but another spike in their labor rates will apparently be the final straw for some of them who are still holding on. (Los Angeles Times)

Now, Los Angeles firms are facing another big hurdle — California’s minimum wage hitting $15 an hour by 2022 — which could spur more garment makers to exit the state.

Last week American Apparel, the biggest clothing maker in Los Angeles, said it might outsource the making of some garments to another manufacturer in the U.S., and wiped out about 500 local jobs. The company still employs about 4,000 workers in Southern California.

“The exodus has begun,” said Sung Won Sohn, an economist at Cal State Channel Islands and a former director at Forever 21. “The garment industry is gradually shrinking and that trend will likely continue.”


The hits to American Apparel are particularly disappointing since they were one of the few “Made in the USA” success stories in that industry for the past couple of decades. Seeing them wipe out one ninth of their labor force in a single week isn’t just an indicator of weak prospects… it’s a disaster. And they aren’t alone, sadly. The LA Times also interviewed Felix Seo, the owner of Joompy. He produces custom clothing and used to do a brisk trade in SoCal, but said that the cost to sew a single dress is going from $5.00 to $6.50 and his, “customer doesn’t want to pay that, so I can’t sell it anymore.”

Felix won’t be able to look to the unions or any liberal activist groups for help either. They’ve recently begun to acknowledge that rapid increases in labor costs are going to result in a lot of people losing their jobs, but they’re okay with that. The workers at Joompy (along with many others in industries who create jobs for lower skill and education level labor) are collateral damage in a war being waged by the SJW and, hey… sometimes when you’re making an omelet you’ve got to break a few eggs.

There may be some sectors in the garment district who don’t take much of a hit from this. We’re talking about Southern California after all. Boutique companies who produce ten thousand dollar dresses for starlets to wear on the red carpet can no doubt go on cranking out the creations which look like parade floats mounted on human beings and their customers won’t notice if the price goes up by twenty bucks. But if you’re trying to sell clothing to the working poor, that will spell the end of your market run when you’re competing against China and Mexico.

But you keep right on Fighting For 15, folks. I’m sure it will all work out in the end, right?

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idiots of the world unite!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:43 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 12309
Reputation points: 2601
chijohnaok wrote:
http://hotair.com/archives/2016/04/16/california-clothing-manufacturers-fleeing-minimum-wage-hike/

Quote:
California clothing manufacturers fleeing minimum wage hike

POSTED AT 8:31 AM ON APRIL 16, 2016 BY JAZZ SHAW


A fifteen dollar per hour minimum wage is coming to California, so break out the champagne and let’s get this party started! Unless you work in the apparel manufacturing industry, that is, in which case you may want to start looking for some cheaper drinks since you’ll likely be out of a job soon. Once the home to a large segment of the American clothing manufacturing industry, California apparel manufacturers have already been hit by skyrocketing commercial real estate value and rising supply chain costs, but another spike in their labor rates will apparently be the final straw for some of them who are still holding on. (Los Angeles Times)

Now, Los Angeles firms are facing another big hurdle — California’s minimum wage hitting $15 an hour by 2022 — which could spur more garment makers to exit the state.

Last week American Apparel, the biggest clothing maker in Los Angeles, said it might outsource the making of some garments to another manufacturer in the U.S., and wiped out about 500 local jobs. The company still employs about 4,000 workers in Southern California.

“The exodus has begun,” said Sung Won Sohn, an economist at Cal State Channel Islands and a former director at Forever 21. “The garment industry is gradually shrinking and that trend will likely continue.”


The hits to American Apparel are particularly disappointing since they were one of the few “Made in the USA” success stories in that industry for the past couple of decades. Seeing them wipe out one ninth of their labor force in a single week isn’t just an indicator of weak prospects… it’s a disaster. And they aren’t alone, sadly. The LA Times also interviewed Felix Seo, the owner of Joompy. He produces custom clothing and used to do a brisk trade in SoCal, but said that the cost to sew a single dress is going from $5.00 to $6.50 and his, “customer doesn’t want to pay that, so I can’t sell it anymore.”

Felix won’t be able to look to the unions or any liberal activist groups for help either. They’ve recently begun to acknowledge that rapid increases in labor costs are going to result in a lot of people losing their jobs, but they’re okay with that. The workers at Joompy (along with many others in industries who create jobs for lower skill and education level labor) are collateral damage in a war being waged by the SJW and, hey… sometimes when you’re making an omelet you’ve got to break a few eggs.

There may be some sectors in the garment district who don’t take much of a hit from this. We’re talking about Southern California after all. Boutique companies who produce ten thousand dollar dresses for starlets to wear on the red carpet can no doubt go on cranking out the creations which look like parade floats mounted on human beings and their customers won’t notice if the price goes up by twenty bucks. But if you’re trying to sell clothing to the working poor, that will spell the end of your market run when you’re competing against China and Mexico.

But you keep right on Fighting For 15, folks. I’m sure it will all work out in the end, right?

Sad that America is losing the iconic Levi's jeans. :(


_________________
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idiots of the world unite!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:39 pm 
Offline
Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:14 pm
Posts: 2019
Location: Pariahville
Reputation points: 3009
chijohnaok wrote:
http://hotair.com/archives/2016/04/16/california-clothing-manufacturers-fleeing-minimum-wage-hike/

But you keep right on Fighting For 15, folks. I’m sure it will all work out in the end, right?


If only we could bring back the good ole days and just chain slaves to the sewing machines... :(

_________________
"Service guarantees citizenship" :(

Welcome to the Maddrive Dogthru!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idiots of the world unite!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:09 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 10444
Reputation points: 10757
Gary Childress wrote:
If only we could bring back the good ole days and just chain slaves to the sewing machines... :(


Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland

^- none of these fascistic dystopias have a minimum wage.

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idiots of the world unite!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:52 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 25388
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 13998
Gary Childress wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:
http://hotair.com/archives/2016/04/16/california-clothing-manufacturers-fleeing-minimum-wage-hike/

But you keep right on Fighting For 15, folks. I’m sure it will all work out in the end, right?


If only we could bring back the good ole days and just chain slaves to the sewing machines... :(


I am in no way advocating a return to slavery Gary.
I also do not believe that I have ever called for the elimination of a minimum wage either.

Throughout this thread I have (I believe) pointed out (through comment and article posts) examples of where states have mandated a higher minimum wage and the after effect of those moves has been an overall net reduction in the number of minimum wage jobs in that city/county/state.

My comment that you quoted was simply a reference to the idea that the $15/hr minimum wage that these people are 'fighting' for will result in an overall benefit to the workers in this income category. Sometimes seemingly good ideas backfire because the real world effects of those ideas run counter to the utopian ideas of the idea creator. Their good intent was there but they failed to consider that the realistic outcomes might not be what they expected. And in the end sometimes more people are negatively impacted than receive the anticipated benefit.

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idiots of the world unite!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:54 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 25388
Location: West coast of the east coast
Reputation points: 13998
EUBanana wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:
If only we could bring back the good ole days and just chain slaves to the sewing machines... :(


Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland

^- none of these fascistic dystopias have a minimum wage.


Reputation award attempted but failed.

Thank you for pointing out those examples.

That list of fascist nations just makes my skin crawl. ;-)

_________________
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group