maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: American Diversity
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:30 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6825
11Bravo wrote:
Canadians celebrate the holiday differently. Usually the children wear blindfolds and form a circle around a harp seal. They take turns swinging until someone lands a lucky blow and kills the defenseless critter. The child's cheeks are smeared with the blood of the seal, and they have the honor of carving and serving it to the assembled guests. Some families cook it first (the seal), but that is not traditional.

ahhh....seal flipper pie ......no Canadian child could resist a good fresh one....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:03 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
C_S wrote:
I thought thanksgiving was only a US holiday to celebrate how much better we are than everyone else.

No your confusing it with Martin Luther King, Jr. day.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15259
All about diversity:

Quote:

http://m.nationalreview.com/article/371 ... h-goldberg

FEBRUARY 21, 2014 12:00 AM
Attacking Diversity of Thought
Liberal students have a funny definition of "diversity."
By Jonah Goldberg

Watch what you say.

Comments149
Cancel the philosophy courses, people. Oh, and we’re going to be shuttering the political science, religion, and pre-law departments too. We’ll keep some of the English and history folks on for a while longer, but they should probably keep their résumés handy.

Because, you see, they are of no use anymore. We have the answers to the big questions, so why keep pretending there’s anything left to discuss?

At least that’s where Erin Ching, a student at Swarthmore College, seems to be coming down. Her school invited a famous left-wing Princeton professor, Cornel West, and a famous right-wing Princeton professor, Robert George, to have a debate. The two men are friends, and by all accounts they had an utterly civil exchange of ideas. But that only made the whole thing even more outrageous.

“What really bothered me is, the whole idea is that at a liberal arts college, we need to be hearing a diversity of opinion,” Ching told the Daily Gazette, the school’s newspaper. “I don’t think we should be tolerating [George’s] conservative views because that dominant culture embeds these deep inequalities in our society.”

Swarthmore must be so proud.

Over at Harvard, another young lady has similar views. Harvard Crimson editorial writer Sandra Y. L. Korn recently called for getting rid of academic freedom in favor of something called “academic justice.”

“If our university community opposes racism, sexism, and heterosexism, why should we put up with research that counters our goals simply in the name of ‘academic freedom’?” Korn asks.

Helpfully, she answers her own question: “When an academic community observes research promoting or justifying oppression, it should ensure that this research does not continue.”

One could easily dismiss these students as part of that long and glorious American tradition of smart young people saying stupid things. As Oscar Wilde remarked, “In America the young are always ready to give to those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience.”

But we all know that this nonsense didn’t spring ex nihilo from their imaginations. As Allan Bloom showed a quarter century ago in The Closing of the American Mind, these ideas are taught.

Indeed, we are now up to our knees in this Orwellian bilge. Diversity means conformity.

Let me invoke personal privilege by citing a slightly dated example. When the Los Angeles Times picked me up as a columnist in 2005, Barbra Streisand publicly canceled her subscription in protest (I’m proud to say). You see, Streisand’s friend, iconic left-wing columnist Robert Scheer, had been let go. And I was one of the new columnists brought on board. This was an outrage.

“The greater Southern California community is one that not only proudly embraces its diversity, but demands it,” Streisand wrote to the Times in a syntactically impaired rant that read a bit like one of those letters I occasionally get from prison inmates who’ve memorized words from a thesaurus without fully understanding what they mean. “Your publisher’s decision to fire Robert Scheer is a great disservice to the spirit of our community. . . . So although the number of contributors to your op-ed pages may have increased, in firing Robert Sheer [sic] and putting Jonah Goldberg in his place, the gamut of voices has undeniably been diluted.”

Nearly a decade later, I still don’t know what it means to dilute a gamut of voices. But I do know what she meant by “diversity.” It means: “people who agree with me.” It’s lazy and insipid shorthand for “left wing.” After all, by the normal metrics of identity politics — race, religion, gender — Scheer and I are largely interchangeable. Where we differ is ideology. And ideological diversity is the only kind of diversity the Left finds offensive.

Which brings us back to the sages of Swarthmore and Harvard. They at least understand that ideological diversity is actually, like, you know, a thing. They just think it’s a bad thing.

More pernicious, however, is that they believe the question of justice is a settled matter. We know what justice is, so why let serious people debate it anymore? The millennia-old dialogue between Aristotle, Plato, St. Augustine, Aquinas, Machiavelli, Rawls, Rorty, Hayek et al.? Shut it down, people. Or at least if the conversation heads in a direction where the Korns, Chings, and Streisands smell “oppression” — as defined solely by the Left — then it must not be “put up with.” Diversity demands that diversity of opinion not be tolerated anymore.

— Jonah Goldberg is the author of The Tyranny of Clichés, now on sale in paperback. You can write to him by e-mail at goldbergcolumn@gmail.com, or via Twitter @JonahNRO. © 2014 Tribune Media Services, Inc.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:57 pm 
First Sergeant

American higher education, particularly the lleftist leaning "liberal arts institutions" are mostly about indoctrination into beliefs of white guilt, communism, anti-corporatism, and Devout Democratic Party Membership. With few exceptions, a right-wing or moderate faculty member has little chance anymore.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2776
Science seems to be left leaning. Scientist are for science only and are not so greedy. Name one right wing physicist other than Edward Teller. ;)

So it goes.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:31 pm 
First Sergeant

The fact that much of science is dominated by leftist ideologues proves nothing except that leftist ideologues have dominated considerable sections of the scientific community.

Science and ideology are inherently antithetical, and I regard "scientists" who espouse allegiance to any dogma to be less than ideal scientists.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:35 pm 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 7273
Quote:
Science seems to be left leaning. Scientist are for science only and are not so greedy.

You're an even bigger fool than I first suspected.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:36 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15259
nero wrote:
Science seems to be left leaning. Scientist are for science only and are not so greedy. Name one right wing physicist other than Edward Teller. ;)

So it goes.

So were the scientists that supported eugenics in the early 20th century also left leaning?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:27 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
The fact that much of science is dominated by leftist ideologues proves nothing except that leftist ideologues have dominated considerable sections of the scientific community.

Science and ideology are inherently antithetical, and I regard "scientists" who espouse allegiance to any dogma to be less than ideal scientists.

There is no ideology in science, only science.

So it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
nero wrote:

So it goes.

So were the scientists that supported eugenics in the early 20th century also left leaning?

Is eugenics science? :roll:

So it goes.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next