maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Why Invent Mohammed?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:51 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
Many links in the original:
Quote:
Why Invent Mohammed?
May 18, 2012 - 5:49 am - by David P. Goldman
Page 1 of 2 Next -> View as Single Page

Why invent a new religion? Robert Spencer’s excellent new book Did Mohammed Exist? collates recent historical research questioning the existence of the historical Mohammed, much of it previously not accessible to a lay American audience. This is a dangerous thing to do, and a courageous one.

Some years ago I chided Spencer for giving the Koran too much credibility; more important than the nasty things one finds in the Koran, I argued, are two questions: “1) Mohammed may never have existed, and 2) If he existed, he may have had nothing to do with the Koran, which well might be an 8th- or 9th-century compilation.” Spencer’s present book will be translated into major Muslim languages and published on the Internet, according to Daniel Pipes. That is an important and welcome development.

This point was made eloquently last year by the Georgetown University political philosopher Fr. James Schall, who argued, “The fragility of Islam, as I see it, lies in a sudden realization of the ambiguity of the text of the Koran. Is it what it claims to be? Islam is weak militarily. It is strong in social cohesion, often using severe moral and physical sanctions. But the grounding and unity of its basic document are highly suspect. Once this becomes clear, Islam may be as fragile as communism.” Koranic criticism, I have argued since 2003, is Islam’s Achilles’ Heel.
Advertisement

In his capacity as prosecuting attorney in the Mohammed hoax, Spencer has laid out means and opportunity. A bit more could be said about motive. Why invent a new religion?
(Continued)
http://pjmedia.com/spengler/2012/05/18/ ... -mohammed/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Why Invent Mohammed?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:24 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Of course their shit was invented.

Hell, it even used a bunch of Judeo-Christian shit as a basis. Obviously the jackass(es) who wrote it wanted to stir up their own movement, with even more centralized idealistic control, and it worked. The terrible part is that it was relatively open to the sciences in the early periods but grew progressively worse over the centuries and continues to do so today. Islam has devolved into a restrictive homicidal ideal.

So how many decapitation threats this guy get so far? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:39 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 10157
You can say the same about Jesus and the Bible, can't you?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:47 pm 
buck private

LaPalice wrote:
Can you?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:01 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6825
why not re-invent all religion?
always thought that...
much if not all of what we have today is from the era of fireside tales and later the hearth, as we ourselves change should not our concept of the creation-the point we are here-the point we are getting to change as well...
of course certain morals remain as truth to provide essential ideals in a healthy society...all religons cross at certain points over many agreements on what is just and what is kind, and what should not be tolerated ...
It may just do the world would good if we took all the good bits of everything available and write them as unified story...
be awesome in IMAX ;)
no holds barred: carpenters, dragons, saints, multi armed scimitar wielding women, Nagas, Cthulu, coyote tricksters, Thor, Zues ...
you get the point...
it may take a few lifetimes to unfold, perhaps it could be 'the' never ending story...
of course chaos reigns in this world and the first to balk at this would be the ones to lose control and power , the next would be their minions ready to blow themselves and the heathens up for a just deity as long as it's just their deity that reigns supreme...
it's a big old multiverse with limitless possibilities...and Vonnegut nailed on one or two of the fundamental truths:
"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."
and of course ...
"Literature should not disappear up its own asshole, so to speak."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:48 pm 
Staff Sergeant

abradley wrote:
LaPalice wrote:
Can you?

Religion is based on faith, not on science. It is the same for Jesus and Mahomet.

Except for the Bible, only one document speaks about a Jesus, not saying many things about him (not sure about that, but that’s what I remember about what I read). So did he really exist? Concerning the Koran being a later compilation, it is the same about Jesus: the Gospel was written later, and is the account of people having known Jesus, not Jesus himself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:54 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4900
LaPalice wrote:

The article is not about Jesus, but about Mohammed? Why try and change the subject?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:12 pm 
Staff Sergeant

mac1812 wrote:
LaPalice wrote:

The article is not about Jesus, but about Mohammed? Why try and change the subject?

I don’t change the subject. Islam is a religion. You can’t apply to it a method based on historical science. I took the example of Jesus because it is the one I know the best, but it is certainly the same with Buddha.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:47 pm 
buck private

LaPalice wrote:
{Snip}
Religion is based on faith, not on science. It is the same for Jesus and Mahomet.

Except for the Bible, only one document speaks about a Jesus, not saying many things about him (not sure about that, but that’s what I remember about what I read). So did he really exist? Concerning the Koran being a later compilation, it is the same about Jesus: the Gospel was written later, and is the account of people having known Jesus, not Jesus himself.
As for proof that Jesus existed there's this:
Quote:
In his early years as an atheist Oxford literary scholar C. S. Lewis also considered Jesus a myth, thinking all religions were simply inventions.[2]

Years later, Lewis was sitting by the fire in an Oxford dorm room with a friend he called “the hardest boiled atheist of all the atheists I ever knew.” Suddenly his friend blurted out, “The evidence for the historicity of the Gospels was really surprisingly good…It almost looks as if it had really happened once.”[3]

Lewis was stunned. His friend’s remark that there was real evidence for Jesus prompted Lewis to investigate the truth for himself. He writes about his search for truth about Jesus in his classic book Mere Christianity.

So, what evidence did Lewis’ friend discover for Jesus Christ?
(Continued)
http://y-jesus.com/wwrj/1-jesus-real-person.php
By the way have you read anything written by Alexander the Great?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:02 pm 
buck private

LaPalice wrote:
{Snip}................
Concerning the Koran being a later compilation, it is the same about Jesus: the Gospel was written later, and is the account of people having known Jesus, not Jesus himself.
Jesus was a nobody in his contemporary world, it's surprising that there is what evidence there is, but after Mohammad's death his followers swept out of Arabia and conquered from Morocco to Pakistan in 100 years, but from the original post:
Quote:
But Islam is an entirely different matter. We have extensive archaeological evidence in the form of coins and inscriptions from the 7th century, and there is no mention of a new religion in any of them until 70 years after Mohammed’s supposed death, as Nevo and Koren showed in their 2003 book Crossroads to Islam.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next