Military stuff ... past and present.

A den of assassins, where anarchists conspire to rule the world and other enlightened stuff

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

Forum rules
It's the Gulag of Fun
NATO
Gunnery Sergeant

Re: Military stuff ... past and present.

#841 Post by NATO » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:15 pm

dayum, Anthro....u did a lot of internet research abt 1800s german history or knew how to find the salient stuff fast? Or knew it already?

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#842 Post by chijohnaok » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:19 pm

I am not going to discuss the potential outcomes of the Revolutions of 1848, because I do not know enough about their history.

I do however wish to toss in the following point/comment:
After the Revolutions of 1848 failed, many of those participants migrated to the United States.
And I do believe that they had an impact on the US.
For starters, approximately 200,000 German migrants fought on the Union side during the American Civil War; many of them were Forty-Eighters.
A number of Union military military generals were also Forty-Eighters ( Louis Blenker; Alexander Schimmelpfennig; Carl Schurz; Franz Sigel; Max Weber; August Willich; Peter Joseph Osterhaus; Frederick C. Salomon; Adolph von Steinwehr; Joseph Weydemeyer).

There were all sorts of Forty-Eighters (soldiers, politiicians, writers, businessmen, doctors, journalists/authors, etc who came to the US.

Here is a link to a Wikipedia entry which briefly covers their contributions and provides a list of them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-Eig ... ted_States

Carl Schurz is the one that I am most familiar with. He served as a Union general during the war. He was one of the early members of the Republican Party. He served as a US Senator and also as the Secretary of the Interior. He was an author and a newspaper publisher. There is a high school in the City of Chicago that is named after him.

Had the Revolutions of 1848 NOT failed, many of these Forty-Eighters would never have come to the United States...their contributions to the US would never have occurred.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: Marching home to <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY">Erica</a>

#843 Post by Anthropoid » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 pm

NATO wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:15 pm
dayum, Anthro....u did a lot of internet research abt 1800s german history or knew how to find the salient stuff fast? Or knew it already?
It has been of interest to me for years. I had an undergraduate university course "Modern Intellectual History of Europe." Basically: Marx, Darwin and Freud were the key themes and the prof covered the social revolutions in early 19th century Europe in some detail at the beginning of the course. Fast Forward a few years to Paradoxes Victoria, Victoria II and Victoria Revolutions games. I ALWAYS played Prussia :P Know they enemy!

I've always thought that: in a different timeline, Germany could have been such a positive force in world history. Clearly there is much of great merit in Germanic cultures. My own paternal grand parents were second generation Germans immigrants and I can see the elements of the worldview they lived as norms all across the American Midwest.
chijohnaok wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:19 pm
I am not going to discuss the potential outcomes of the Revolutions of 1848, because I do not know enough about their history.

I do however wish to toss in the following point/comment:
After the Revolutions of 1848 failed, many of those participants migrated to the United States.
And I do believe that they had an impact on the US.
For starters, approximately 200,000 German migrants fought on the Union side during the American Civil War; many of them were Forty-Eighters.
A number of Union military military generals were also Forty-Eighters ( Louis Blenker; Alexander Schimmelpfennig; Carl Schurz; Franz Sigel; Max Weber; August Willich; Peter Joseph Osterhaus; Frederick C. Salomon; Adolph von Steinwehr; Joseph Weydemeyer).

There were all sorts of Forty-Eighters (soldiers, politiicians, writers, businessmen, doctors, journalists/authors, etc who came to the US.

Here is a link to a Wikipedia entry which briefly covers their contributions and provides a list of them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-Eig ... ted_States

Carl Schurz is the one that I am most familiar with. He served as a Union general during the war. He was one of the early members of the Republican Party. He served as a US Senator and also as the Secretary of the Interior. He was an author and a newspaper publisher. There is a high school in the City of Chicago that is named after him.

Had the Revolutions of 1848 NOT failed, many of these Forty-Eighters would never have come to the United States...their contributions to the US would never have occurred.
Bier! :lol:

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: Marching home to <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY">Erica</a>

#844 Post by Anthropoid » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:21 pm

Man, they are looking at some crazy shit for new weapons. This video is a couple years old. What is the update status on these?