A Change in Mind about A Change in Climate

A den of assassins, where anarchists conspire to rule the world and other enlightened stuff

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

Forum rules
It's the Gulag of Fun
Gary Childress
Sergeant

A Change in Mind about A Change in Climate

#1 Post by Gary Childress » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:51 pm

I'm pretty convinced the climate is changing and at a pace that is going to create a lot of changes in our environment. I'm not 100% sure it's being caused by human activities but it's certainly possible and even sounds likely according to what many scientists are saying. Am I going to "harp" on it, dwell constantly on it or harass people who I think aren't doing what I think they should be doing to prevent it? The answer to that last question is, "no".
"Service guarantees citizenship" :(

Welcome to the Maddrive Dogthru!

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important." - Bertrand Russell

nero
Sergeant Major

Re: A Change in Mind about A Change in Climate

#2 Post by nero » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:21 pm

Gary Childress wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:51 pm
I'm pretty convinced the climate is changing and at a pace that is going to create a lot of changes in our environment. I'm not 100% sure it's being caused by human activities but it's certainly possible and even sounds likely according to what many scientists are saying. Am I going to "harp" on it, dwell constantly on it or harass people who I think aren't doing what I think they should be doing to prevent it? The answer to that last question is, "no".
So you have doubt about is the warming man made. To me there no question, the only possible explanation to the current warming is human greenhouse gas emissions.

The warming is because of the greenhouse effect only, not the Sun. The winters are warmer, the nights are warmer, the lower troposphere is warming while upper troposphere and stratosphere are cooling. All signatures of greenhouse warming.

How about the Sun? It has not contributed much at all.

These are facts as I see.

The man is warming the planet. Is it good or bad? That depends. But there is the problem with sea level, with current temperature the sea level will be a few meter higher. The economic cost will be humongous. The Winter Palace, Mar-a-Lago will be under waves in future. But the biggest thing is is the rate of change, the first time the temperature is rising so fast. I have seen the change in my own eyes the change, bird migrations, longer growing season, snowless winters :twisted: and more. Not forgetting what is going in Oz. :(

But then there are people who deny the warming, or try to believe it is just natural or it is a hoax; doctored data. :roll:

Hereby I challenge anyone who disagrees with my declaration to argue a topic of their choosing.

Bring it on.
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Gary Childress
Sergeant

#3 Post by Gary Childress » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:49 pm

nero wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:21 pm
A fact should not depend upon what one individual "sees" or only thinks to be true. Either they are 100% true or not 100% true. If you are not 100% sure, then they are not yet "facts" to you, only probabilities (albeit they could possibly be high probabilities).
"Service guarantees citizenship" :(

Welcome to the Maddrive Dogthru!

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important." - Bertrand Russell

nero
Sergeant Major

#4 Post by nero » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:10 am

Gary Childress wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:49 pm
nero wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:21 pm
A fact should not depend upon what one individual "sees" or only thinks to be true. Either they are 100% true or not 100% true. If you are not 100% sure, then they are not yet "facts" to you, only probabilities (albeit they could possibly be high probabilities).
There is never ever absolute truth, in science. The world is not binary, either or, 0 or 1, thing but in between, a fuzzy thing. And you are right about that everything is about probabilities. Did you study quantum mechanics too? ;)

Here my one of favourite videos that I enjoy. I hope you enjoy it too.

And you know why we can blame China and India for the ice ages.

If there is some you don't understand, be not shy but bring it up.

On some issues I have been lazy, like this "hid the decline" cabal. Professor Mueller explains it quite well. He was on the other side back then though.

But you know the Mueller story, don't you?

The tree-ring proxy data thing is also interesting. Likewise the climate sensitivity which not obviously a constant, but variable.

If the climate change is so easy to understand that even preschool kids can comprehend it, why there is a need for complicated computer models to prove it. -- Unknown thinker. :lol:

Cheerio.

PS. You started this thread, so you own this thread. You keep order on this thread and whip the trolls good.
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#5 Post by Anthropoid » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:06 am

Sorry to be blunt Gary, but having a discussion with Nero about "facts," is about like having a discussion with Charles Manson about compassion.

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#6 Post by chijohnaok » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:09 am

Not forgetting what is going in Oz. :(
Are you referring to the hundreds of arsonists who are setting fires there?
Climate change made them do it. :roll:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

nero
Sergeant Major

#7 Post by nero » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:46 am

chijohnaok wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:09 am
Not forgetting what is going in Oz. :(
Are you referring to the hundreds of arsonists who are setting fires there?
Climate change made them do it. :roll:
There should be studies how record hot weather inspires arsonists. :roll:

But is there any proof the there has been abnormally large number of arsonists around Oz recently. NOT.

Just normal denialist propaganda.

Provide fact based arguments in the future, please.

PS. How about discussing about this "hiding the decline" thing, a video above. ;)

nero
Sergeant Major

#8 Post by nero » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:35 am

Here is a pretty and interesting video about some CO2 issues.

Let commence the character assassination. :lol: