It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Re: Global warming musings
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 682
And it is not only grassland preservation but also reforestation.

Forest are important carbon sinks.

But the grazing animals eat forest too. How could the forest come in existence in the first place in existing grassland with grazing animals? That is the question.

What was the mammoth steppe grassland with huge herds of mega fauna is now taiga. And no more mega fauna. What happened?

Any ideas?

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:44 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
Save the World, stop eating burgers...

Quote:
A university is banning the sale of burgers to try to fight global warming.

Goldsmiths, University of London, is removing all beef products from sale - and charging a 10p levy on bottled water and single-use plastic cups.

It plans to install more solar panels across its New Cross campus, in south-east London, and switch to a 100% clean energy supplier as soon as possible.

It will spend money on its allotment and identify other areas where planting could help to absorb carbon dioxide.

The university emits about 3.7 million kg of carbon each year but is hoping to become carbon neutral by 2025.

And it will try to increase the number of students studying climate change.

Scientists say beef is more damaging to the environment as cows produce more methane and require more land and water than other livestock.

The college's new head, Prof Frances Corner, said: "The growing global call for organisations to take seriously their responsibilities for halting climate change is impossible to ignore.

"Though I have only just arrived at Goldsmiths, it is immediately obvious that our staff and students care passionately about the future of our environment and that they are determined to help deliver the step change we need to cut our carbon footprint drastically and as quickly as possible.

"Declaring a climate emergency cannot be empty words.

"I truly believe we face a defining moment in global history and Goldsmiths now stands shoulder to shoulder with other organisations willing to call the alarm and take urgent action to cut carbon use."

Goldsmiths Students' Union president Joe Leam said: "Our house is on fire," invoking the words of teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg.

"I believe Frances Corner and the university management are realising this and making these changes to put their part of the house fire out.

"The SU will be a part of this process every step of the way to make sure this stays true, seeking to speed the process up wherever possible, and will keep the college community updated throughout."

Rosie Rogers, of Greenpeace UK, said: "It's encouraging to see an institution like Goldsmiths not simply declaring a climate emergency but acting on it.

"From energy use, to food sales and plastic pollution - all universities and organisations with campus sites can make changes across their facilities that are better for our planet.

"We call on others to urgently follow suit and to include cutting all ties from fossil fuel funding in their climate-emergency response."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49321560

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18812
The landscapers came and mowed the lawn at my temporary apartment today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:31 am 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
The landscapers came and mowed the lawn at my temporary apartment today.

Why don't you move your lawn with push-mower, you'd get functional exercise.

I have Klippo Champion at my dacha.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:32 am 
Sergeant Major

Not my property. My house still isn't rebuilt, though only a couple weeks left (knock on wood). And yes I use a Honda push mower, which sadly at this point is likely gunked up as fuck inside and may not even start.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Not my property. My house still isn't rebuilt, though only a couple weeks left (knock on wood). And yes I use a Honda push mower, which sadly at this point is likely gunked up as fuck inside and may not even start.

Well, I hope your evacuation ends in good time.

And it sounds that you are in need of a new mower to replace for your Honda.

I don't know how big your plantation is, but if it not too big, I'd think an old style good non-motorized rotating thing would be good. But then if you need one with motor, have one that crushes the grass under the machine, "bio" model. Instead of those monstrosities that throw the grass aside, or collect the grass in a container.

And definitely a push mower for you, just for the sport. ;)

Don't buy any Chinese crap. Poor man can not afford to by cheap.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

They finally cut down that fucking long dead pecan tree (at the rental where I'm living temporarily . . . except for the old one that bombed my house last April, all the remaining trees on my actual property are healthy as fuck . . . knock on wood . . . gotta remember to get that tree guy to come out and make sure about that). Halle fucking luyah! Now I don't have to wonder if me or my dogs will survive another foray into the yard to play ball/do callisthenics.

Trees eat a lot of carbon, but they also kill from time to time . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:38 am 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 12564
Hope you saved it for the smoker. Pecan makes some pretty flavorful barbecue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:42 am 
Sergeant Major

nelmsm wrote:
Hope you saved it for the smoker. Pecan makes some pretty flavorful barbecue.

Nah, I don't speak Spanish. I trusted them to know what they were doing, and I think they must have hauled off most of it. They did leave a nice layer of saw dust (almost soil-like consistency) covering the whole thing, which I thought was a good move. In a year, there will be a grassy hump couple meters across and the circle of life can continue unabated . . . assuming the area isn't being washed by the tides by then! (~950ft ASL . . . hmmm . . . what will that take? 250,000,000 years!?)

Profile E-mail