It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Ate a Whole Can of Split Pea Soup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16461
One thing I didn't really expect as a "side-effect" of losing 22+ pounds was that my frequency of bowel evacuation would dwindle down into the ~weekly wavelength. My whole life I've been a once a dayer, like clockwork. Seems my guts don't know what the fuck to do since they are not being given lots of material to work with??

So I've tried some dulcolax. Not very often. I try to not use more than once in any 5 or 7 day period; thing is I don't really "feel" constipated. I just don't shit very often. I've gone through maybe 80% of one box of dulcolax in the past ~100 days so probably nothing to worry about. At first it worked well; "too well." But with each passing week, my body seems less and less responsive to it. Like right at this moment: I took one probably 36 hours ago: few farts was all I got.

Keep in mind here: probably 90% of my diet these past 100 days has been Kashi bars, so it isn't like I've been eating a "low fiber" diet. One ~150kcal Kashi bar (depending on the flavor) has about 3g of fiber, and that seems (on a fiber grams per kcal of food content basis) to be pretty high.

So I got to look at "what are the highest fiber foods." Found a Majo clinic page that discussed that very topic. Seems that Split Peas and Lentils are pretty top notch. As is, "Pearled Barley" (whatever the fuck that is).

So I got on the internet and ordered me up 10 cans of split pea soup; 10 cans of lentil soup; and two packages of Pearled Barley . . . kinda looks like puffed wheat. Guess I'll eat it like breakfast cereal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ate a Whole Can of Split Pea Soup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:53 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
Ripe, ripe bananas does it for me.

Luck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:36 am 
Sergeant Major

I added leverage on top of the Split Peas: ate a quarter cup of the "Pearled Barley" as if it was a breakfast cereal. Something on the Amazon Prime info window online suggested it could be eaten that way, even though no such suggestion on the package.

Lets just say: unless you are a horse, I don't recommend eating Pearled Barley that way. I managed to knaw it all down, and by the time the milk had soaked it it was a BIT softer, but not much.

By the time I finished that, it was like nearly midnight and perhaps 3 hours after the split pea soup? Jesus Christ be praised, there was a gargantuan movement, though I believe much more to come . . .

Re: abradley, that is weird what you say about bananas. I had always heard they would stop you up, but then a while back my wife and I both encountered that factoid about the ripe ones. Seems they go from "constipating" when not-ripe to laxatative when rip!? That is a strange chemical transformation it seems!?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:42 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 10460
I include barley in my beef stew. Every once in a while I'll follow the package instructions and make it as a side dish for supper. Tasty w,with butter and salt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Been flatulent like a prize winning swine, but finally had a fairly sizeable deposit. Feel a bit more emptied out but I think there is more to come :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

That pearled barley is like magic! Might be the "highest fiber per caloric density" food on planet Earth? Serving size is 44g, 160 kcal, 7 g of fiber. So that is 0.0437g of fiber per kcal.

Seems the ideal fiber intake for a male is in the 30 to 38g per day range. I probably had only been in the 21 to 25 range for a long time and maybe that was contributing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

My speculations about cooked Pearled Barley being "best fiber" were without base. Totally wasn't thinking of Spinach, with a fiber/kcal ratio around 0.25.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

Estimated daily fiber intake for the past week or so: 40.5g, 33.3g, 40.5g, 44g, 40g, 45g, 33g.

All that, and no real movement to speak of. So today, I escalated: had late morning brunch of 3 cups of raw spinach with blue cheese dressing and 16 oz of prune juice; then repeated that same "meal" about 3 or 4 hours later. 52 g of fiber and 1600kcal for the day (so far) and Loo and Behold, finally major movement!

Mostly all liquid, but better than nothing. Feels like maybe a long standing blockage has finally been broken through and maybe as long as I keep my fiber intake at reasonably high levels (30 to 38 g is supposedly the recommended for men) I can go back to regularity. I never expected constipation to be a side-effect of caloric restriction and weight loss and my efforts to find any literature that discusses such a side-effect have found nothing. Maybe it was just a fluke associated with my gut adapting to its radically changed circumstances.

Profile E-mail