maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Body Trade
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2651
Not the planned-parenthood-selling-aborted-fetuses-hoax, but real trading and misusing donated bodies. :shock:

REUTERS/(BRIAN GROW and JOHN SHIFFMAN) wrote:

Cashing in on the donated dead

The Body Trade

Part 1: When Americans leave their bodies to science, they are also donating to commerce: Cadavers and body parts, especially those of the poor, are sold in a thriving and largely unregulated market. Grisly abuses abound.

LAS VEGAS – The company stacked brochures in funeral parlors around Sin City. On the cover: a couple clasping hands. Above the image, a promise: “Providing Options in Your Time of Need.”

The company, Southern Nevada Donor Services, offered grieving families a way to eliminate expensive funeral costs: free cremation in exchange for donating a loved one’s body to “advance medical studies.”

Outside Southern Nevada’s suburban warehouse, the circumstances were far from comforting. In the fall of 2015, neighboring tenants began complaining about a mysterious stench and bloody boxes in a Dumpster. That December, local health records show, someone contacted authorities to report odd activity in the courtyard.

Health inspectors found a man in medical scrubs holding a garden hose. He was thawing a frozen human torso in the midday sun.

As the man sprayed the remains, “bits of tissue and blood were washed into the gutters,” a state health report said. The stream weaved past storefronts and pooled across the street near a technical school.

Southern Nevada, the inspectors learned, was a so-called body broker, a company that acquires dead bodies, dissects them and sells the parts for profit to medical researchers, training organizations and other buyers. The torso on the gurney was being prepared for just such a sale.

Each year, thousands of Americans donate their bodies in the belief they are contributing to science. In fact, many are also unwittingly contributing to commerce, their bodies traded as raw material in a largely unregulated national market.

Body brokers are also known as non-transplant tissue banks. They are distinct from the organ and tissue transplant industry, which the U.S. government closely regulates. Selling hearts, kidneys and tendons for transplant is illegal. But no federal law governs the sale of cadavers or body parts for use in research or education. Few state laws provide any oversight whatsoever, and almost anyone, regardless of expertise, can dissect and sell human body parts.

“The current state of affairs is a free-for-all,” said Angela McArthur, who directs the body donation program at the University of Minnesota Medical School and formerly chaired her state’s anatomical donation commission. “We are seeing similar problems to what we saw with grave-robbers centuries ago,” she said, referring to the 19th-century practice of obtaining cadavers in ways that violated the dignity of the dead.

“I don’t know if I can state this strongly enough,” McArthur said. “What they are doing is profiting from the sale of humans.”

The industry’s business model hinges on access to a large supply of free bodies, which often come from the poor. In return for a body, brokers typically cremate a portion of the donor at no charge. By offering free cremation, some deathcare industry veterans say, brokers appeal to low-income families at their most vulnerable. Many have drained their savings paying for a loved one’s medical treatment and can’t afford a traditional funeral.

“People who have financial means get the chance to have the moral, ethical and spiritual debates about which method to choose,” said Dawn Vander Kolk, an Illinois hospice social worker. “But if they don’t have money, they may end up with the option of last resort: body donation.”

Few rules mean few consequences when bodies are mistreated. In the Southern Nevada case, officials found they could do little more than issue a minor pollution citation to one of the workers involved. Southern Nevada operator Joe Collazo, who wasn’t cited, said he regretted the incident. He said the industry would benefit from oversight that offers peace of mind to donors, brokers and researchers.

“To be honest with you, I think there should be regulation,” said Collazo. “There’s too much gray area.”

From cradle to grave, everything is on sale. :roll:

Land of the brave, home of the free. :lol:

So it goes.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Body Trade
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15634
nero wrote:
Not the planned-parenthood-selling-aborted-fetuses-hoax, but real trading and misusing donated bodies. :shock:

REUTERS/(BRIAN GROW and JOHN SHIFFMAN) wrote:

Cashing in on the donated dead

The Body Trade

Part 1: When Americans leave their bodies to science, they are also donating to commerce: Cadavers and body parts, especially those of the poor, are sold in a thriving and largely unregulated market. Grisly abuses abound.

LAS VEGAS – The company stacked brochures in funeral parlors around Sin City. On the cover: a couple clasping hands. Above the image, a promise: “Providing Options in Your Time of Need.”

The company, Southern Nevada Donor Services, offered grieving families a way to eliminate expensive funeral costs: free cremation in exchange for donating a loved one’s body to “advance medical studies.”

Outside Southern Nevada’s suburban warehouse, the circumstances were far from comforting. In the fall of 2015, neighboring tenants began complaining about a mysterious stench and bloody boxes in a Dumpster. That December, local health records show, someone contacted authorities to report odd activity in the courtyard.

Health inspectors found a man in medical scrubs holding a garden hose. He was thawing a frozen human torso in the midday sun.

As the man sprayed the remains, “bits of tissue and blood were washed into the gutters,” a state health report said. The stream weaved past storefronts and pooled across the street near a technical school.

Southern Nevada, the inspectors learned, was a so-called body broker, a company that acquires dead bodies, dissects them and sells the parts for profit to medical researchers, training organizations and other buyers. The torso on the gurney was being prepared for just such a sale.

Each year, thousands of Americans donate their bodies in the belief they are contributing to science. In fact, many are also unwittingly contributing to commerce, their bodies traded as raw material in a largely unregulated national market.

Body brokers are also known as non-transplant tissue banks. They are distinct from the organ and tissue transplant industry, which the U.S. government closely regulates. Selling hearts, kidneys and tendons for transplant is illegal. But no federal law governs the sale of cadavers or body parts for use in research or education. Few state laws provide any oversight whatsoever, and almost anyone, regardless of expertise, can dissect and sell human body parts.

“The current state of affairs is a free-for-all,” said Angela McArthur, who directs the body donation program at the University of Minnesota Medical School and formerly chaired her state’s anatomical donation commission. “We are seeing similar problems to what we saw with grave-robbers centuries ago,” she said, referring to the 19th-century practice of obtaining cadavers in ways that violated the dignity of the dead.

“I don’t know if I can state this strongly enough,” McArthur said. “What they are doing is profiting from the sale of humans.”

The industry’s business model hinges on access to a large supply of free bodies, which often come from the poor. In return for a body, brokers typically cremate a portion of the donor at no charge. By offering free cremation, some deathcare industry veterans say, brokers appeal to low-income families at their most vulnerable. Many have drained their savings paying for a loved one’s medical treatment and can’t afford a traditional funeral.

“People who have financial means get the chance to have the moral, ethical and spiritual debates about which method to choose,” said Dawn Vander Kolk, an Illinois hospice social worker. “But if they don’t have money, they may end up with the option of last resort: body donation.”

Few rules mean few consequences when bodies are mistreated. In the Southern Nevada case, officials found they could do little more than issue a minor pollution citation to one of the workers involved. Southern Nevada operator Joe Collazo, who wasn’t cited, said he regretted the incident. He said the industry would benefit from oversight that offers peace of mind to donors, brokers and researchers.

“To be honest with you, I think there should be regulation,” said Collazo. “There’s too much gray area.”

From gravel to grave, everything is on sale. :roll:

Land of the brave, home of the free. :lol:

So it goes.

That is nothing new and was not something that started in the US:

Quote:
Body snatching was gruesome, but it revolutionised how we understand anatomy and medicine, say Cambridge dons

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z4wXXe28BC
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

It does sound sort of gruesome.

The place that was hosing a frozen torso out in the open and washing parts into the sewers was clearly in the wrong.

Funerals are an expesive thing though and if some poor families cannot afford it and someone offers them an alternative (body parts in exchange for paying for cremation) then is that really a bad thing?

The alternative is the potters field/pauper cemetary:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... s-cemetery

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:

Right. But I have not heard about similar happening in the civilized world recently. ;)

But America is so conservative. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

Right. But I have not heard about similar happening in the civilized world recently. ;)

Nero....a little trip down memory lane:

Quote:
Black Market for Body Parts Spreads Among the Poor in Europe

By DAN BILEFSKY JUNE 28, 2012

[snip]

In Spain, Italy, Greece and Russia, advertisements by people peddling organs — as well as hair, sperm and breast milk — have turned up on the Internet, with asking prices for lungs as high as $250,000.

Continue reading the main story http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/world ... urope.html

My geography might be a little rusty but aren't those countries in Europe?
Or do you not consider Spain, Italy, Greece and Russia civilized?

Quote:
This British artist was convicted of stealing body parts to create his sculptures.

BY STRANGEREMAINS on JANUARY 6, 2014 • ( 2 )

Anthony-Noel Kelly is a British artist who made casts of dissected body parts for an exhibition at the London Contemporary Art Fair in 1997. The problem was is that he stole anatomical specimens from the Royal College of Surgeons to fabricate the molds for his morbid sculptures.

https://strangeremains.com/2014/01/06/t ... culptures/

What about Britain....not part of Europe or not civilized..which is it?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
nero wrote:

Nero....a little trip down memory lane:

Quote:
Black Market for Body Parts Spreads Among the Poor in Europe

By DAN BILEFSKY JUNE 28, 2012

[snip]

In Spain, Italy, Greece and Russia, advertisements by people peddling organs — as well as hair, sperm and breast milk — have turned up on the Internet, with asking prices for lungs as high as $250,000.

Continue reading the main story http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/world ... urope.html

My geography might be a little rusty but aren't those countries in Europe?
Or do you not consider Spain, Italy, Greece and Russia civilized?

Quote:
This British artist was convicted of stealing body parts to create his sculptures.

BY STRANGEREMAINS on JANUARY 6, 2014 • ( 2 )

Anthony-Noel Kelly is a British artist who made casts of dissected body parts for an exhibition at the London Contemporary Art Fair in 1997. The problem was is that he stole anatomical specimens from the Royal College of Surgeons to fabricate the molds for his morbid sculptures.

https://strangeremains.com/2014/01/06/t ... culptures/

What about Britain....not part of Europe or not civilized..which is it?

I was referring to the civilized world. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:

Oh, you mean Helsinki.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
nero wrote:

Oh, you mean Helsinki.....

Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and etc... ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:18 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4144
It's almost time for the "long dark" to start again eh Nero ? I hope your supply of lutefisk doesn't go bad or you might have to resort to your usual remedies up there...

I'm pretty sure this is the definitive explanation for Nero's cognitive frailties .... untold generations of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDum_yDdJwg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Gump wrote:
It's almost time for the "long dark" to start again eh Nero ? I hope your supply of lutefisk doesn't go bad or you might have to resort to your usual remedies up there...

I'm pretty sure this is the definitive explanation for Nero's cognitive frailties .... untold generations of it...

Lutefisk?

It used to be Christmastime delicacy when I was young. A tradition from the catholic times, 500 years ago. Not so good, when prepared I did eat it. But I am certain that I can make something tasty out of lutefisk. ;)

But are you certain you did not mean surströmming?

But what "long dark" are you talking about? I am white. ;)

But if you mean that I should post more regularly to keep the quality up on this forum, I'll do my best, when I have the time. ;)

I think that this topic is on par with the recent topic of selling body parts of aborted fetuses, selling rotten body parts.

So it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:12 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4144
In Finland those parts are never wasted..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33mbo6