maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drought over in the Big CA?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:34 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15427
Quote:
... More than 180,000 people in northern California have been told to evacuate their homes after both overflow channels at the tallest dam in the US were found to be damaged.
The emergency spillway of the 770ft (230m) tall Oroville Dam was close to collapse, officials said.
The excess water has now stopped flowing.
However, late on Sunday, Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said the evacuation orders remained in place.
Water levels in the reservoir have risen following heavy rain and snow after years of severe drought.
It is the first time that Lake Oroville, which lies 65 miles (105km) north of Sacramento, has experienced such an emergency in the dam's near 50-year history ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38952847

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Drought over in the Big CA?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:43 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
The worst part about evacuating Oroville is having to come back. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:53 am 
Sergeant Major

They have a plan to drop big bags of boulders into the gap in the spillway WITH the spillway running. That should be a snap. They can't turn off the spillway to fix it because water is still pouring into the lake and it is going to rain again later in the week.

It also seems to me that the "emergency spillway" should be designed to let the water spill over the top without failing. Any idiot can see there has to be a plan to move water away from the base of the spillway without undermining it.

It also seems to me someone should have been inspecting the main spillway which probably hasn't been used most of the last 6 years. After all, it looks to be about 5 feet thick concrete and was designed to run water down at high speed and potentially much higher flow for the life of the damn. What, are we hiring the retarded? Do we need Korean or Chinese engineers? WTF?

Here is the good news. We are building a dozens of billions dollar high speed train. I'm not going to be the first to get on the damn thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:56 am 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:

Are you making fun of Orovillians? Or are they called Orovillanders? Or Oreos?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:59 am 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
jack t ripper wrote:

Are you making fun of Orovillians? Or are they called Orovillanders? Or Oreos?

Only the two black people in Oroville are Oreos.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:02 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15427
Quote:
... It also seems to me that the "emergency spillway" should be designed to let the water spill over the top without failing. Any idiot can see there has to be a plan to move water away from the base of the spillway without undermining it. ..

Agree. Around here, all the pond dams and even bridges have purpose designed "overflow" paths for the water. We understand mother nature decides how much water goes over the dam, not us, so the dams are designed to overflow. Yes "damage" will occur .. but damage will occur when MN throws shit loads of fast moving water at ANYTHING. The idea is to allow the water to flow, because water will find a way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:28 am 
Sergeant Major

Some raised concerns 12 years ago about the safety of the spillway in the event the emergency overflow spillway was used but state and federal officials ignored those concerns:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/12/o ... years-ago/

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:31 am 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
Quote:
... It also seems to me that the "emergency spillway" should be designed to let the water spill over the top without failing. Any idiot can see there has to be a plan to move water away from the base of the spillway without undermining it. ..

Agree. Around here, all the pond dams and even bridges have purpose designed "overflow" paths for the water. We understand mother nature decides how much water goes over the dam, not us, so the dams are designed to overflow. Yes "damage" will occur .. but damage will occur when MN throws shit loads of fast moving water at ANYTHING. The idea is to allow the water to flow, because water will find a way.

The thing starts to fail mere hours after it's first use in 50 years and it's not even that much water. Only like an inch of water spilling over the top. Somebody hired their cousin or took some serious shortcuts. If the thing lets go I have a feeling the taxpayers are going to take a bath. The thing was built in the 1960's. It's not like gravity has just been discovered.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:45 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17084
chijohnaok wrote:
Some raised concerns 12 years ago about the safety of the spillway in the event the emergency overflow spillway was used but state and federal officials ignored those concerns:

They probably had better things to spend the money on, like carbon free wind and solar farms.

Meanwhile, across the entire country, the water infrastructure is aging and "nearing the end of its useful life." To say nothing of our bridges, roads and utilities.

Quote:
Introduction. A new kind of challenge is emerging in the United States, one
that for many years was largely buried in our national consciousness. Now it can
be buried no longer. Much of our drinking water infrastructure, the more than one
million miles of pipes beneath our streets, is nearing the end of its useful life
and approaching the age at which it needs to be replaced. Moreover, our shifting
population brings significant growth to some areas of the country, requiring larger
pipe networks to provide water service.
As documented in this report, restoring existing water
systems as they reach the end of their useful lives and
expanding them to serve a growing population will cost at
least $1 trillion over the next 25 years, if we are to maintain
current levels of water service. Delaying the investment can
result in degrading water service, increasing water service
disruptions, and increasing expenditures for emergency
repairs. Ultimately we will have to face the need to “catch
up” with past deferred investments, and the more we delay
the harder the job will be when the day of reckoning comes.

Thankfully, over the past eight years we had an Exec who understood how inconsequential this sort of basic service was for the country and instead placed the emphasis of policy and expenditure on the important topics:
1. Global Warming.
2. Oppression by white males
3. Bowing and scraping to the media and foreign powers
4. Providing overpriced socialized health insurance to everyone, whether they wanted/needed it or not.
5. Undercover operations to sell firearms to Mexican drug cartels
6. Passive, inconsistent and incoherent foreign policy
7. Ample time on the golf courses

Remember all those "shovel ready" jobs Obama touted when he took office? :roll:

Wall of shame indeed. Short of incarcerating the congress and declaring himself God Emperor, I don't think Obama and his commie backers could have done a better job of squandering the opportunities they had over the last eight years to leave a positive legacy.

Last edited by Anthropoid on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:45 am 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:

Oh, Jeez..that is bad. I don't know what is worse. Flooding Sacramento and removing the biggest water source for Northern Calif or being proved wrong by the Sierra Club.

The spillway is EARTHEN and only has a small concrete cap. Allegedly rated for 350,000 cfs and it start failing at 10,000 cfs after only hrs.

Pathetic

Profile E-mail