maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Illinois: Greece on Lake Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Anthropoid wrote:
Wall it off: donate it to the Cortez Groupies to run their sick social engineering experiments . . .

I'd prefer that New York State was the lab that AOC runs her GND experiment at.
My parents still live in the Chicago area, as do my siblings, nieces and other relatives.
I would not want them to be put through that.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
chijohnaok wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
Wall it off: donate it to the Cortez Groupies to run their sick social engineering experiments . . .

My parents still live in the Chicago area, as do my siblings, nieces and other relatives.

Hey, I can empathize! I proposed to my wife in the Chicago Museum of Natural History, so that particular edifice will always hold a special place in my heart. But we all gotta make sacrifices as part of the New Deal. Think how many other states will be spared the Cortez-pocalypse if Illinois falls on its sword. New York State is admittedly as corrupt as a pot full of 30 day old avocado and green bean soup . . . BUT! New York City is a literal World Heritage site. New York City is one of the top three financial and business leadership cities on the planet (possibly #1 in finance). New York City has actual CHARACTER, and great museums; plus Orange Man hails from there. What has Chicago got in comparison? Well . . . one good museum, its true. Obama lives there, and the whole damn state is under the yoke of corrupt "Democratic" politicians and mafioso.

I just don't see how you can objectively argue that Illinois should be spared from Cortez so that New York should be sacrificed. You've got to set aside your personal interests . . .

Surely your folks could sell their place for at least a few grand and move in with you in Florida? :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

Hey, I can empathize! I proposed to my wife in the Chicago Museum of Natural History, so that particular edifice will always hold a special place in my heart. But we all gotta make sacrifices as part of the New Deal. Think how many other states will be spared the Cortez-pocalypse if Illinois falls on its sword. New York State is admittedly as corrupt as a pot full of 30 day old avocado and green bean soup . . . BUT! New York City is a literal World Heritage site. New York City is one of the top three financial and business leadership cities on the planet (possibly #1 in finance). New York City has actual CHARACTER, and great museums; plus Orange Man hails from there. What has Chicago got in comparison? Well . . . one good museum, its true. Obama lives there, and the whole damn state is under the yoke of corrupt "Democratic" politicians and mafioso.

I just don't see how you can objectively argue that Illinois should be spared from Cortez so that New York should be sacrificed. You've got to set aside your personal interests . . .

Surely your folks could sell their place for at least a few grand and move in with you in Florida? :mrgreen:

This time of year my parents would enjoy in Florida.....but for most of the year the heat would kill them.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:30 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 682
I have always been wondering about this thread. Never seen any black gangsters in Greece. :roll:

Perhaps your comparisons are not valid. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
I have always been wondering about this thread. Never seen any black gangsters in Greece. :roll:

Perhaps your comparisons are not valid. ;)

I beg to disagree with you...also, I don’t know where the “black gangsters” comment comes from.

As for the name of the thread, look back to my first post starting the thread.
It was on “04 Jul 2010 01:20”.
This was during the government debt crisis in Greece.

My reference to “Greece” in the title was because Illinois was (and still is) undergoing a financial and debt crisis.
——It had a significant deficit in the state budget (it still/currently has a shortfall of $3.2 billion).
——It’s pension funds for state employees were grossly underfunded (they still are).
——The state owed billions in unpaid invoices to businesses (both privately owned and corporations) that had provided goods and services to the state. Some of these invoices were more than 6 months overdue. As of an article I read today they currently have nearly $8 billion in overdue unpaid invoices.

—-

As time has gone on, I have posted articles in the thread that were not directly related to Illinois’ financial issues, but were relevant to the goings on in Chicago and/or the State of Illinois.

As the thread creator, I feel that I have some latitude regarding what sorts of articles I post in this thread.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

A piece of Chicago history has come up for sale:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/al-ca ... ark-manor/

Quote:
2/18/2019, 05:21pm

The famous house no one wanted to buy finally looks like it’s going to sell

By Stefano Esposito@slesposito | email

Ryan Smith has been made an offer he can’t refuse.

“It’s finally going to sell,” said Smith, the listing agent for a squat, brick two-flat in the South Side’s Park Manor neighborhood.

The city has had an uncomfortable relationship with the man who bought that house in 1923. At the time Al and Mae Capone took a liking to a quiet stretch of South Prairie lined with Model T’s and Packards, the home was was worth about $15,000.

Now, it seems, the price is right again. The house has been on and off the market since 2009, with the price dropping from $450,000 to $179,900. It drew no buyers. It went back on the market Feb. 9, listed at $109,900.

“We do have a couple of offers on the table,” Smith said. “We’ll probably get it sold here in the next week or so and put in under contract.”

On a recent morning, a frigid wind blew across the home’s snowy lot, ruffling the needles of two towering fir trees. That didn’t stop half a dozen people dropping by 7244 S. Prairie to take a look at the property — including Victor Anthony. He made an offer on the house two days after it went on the market.

He envisions possibly turning it into an Airbnb property.

“Who wouldn’t want to come visit Chicago from Berlin, Paris, Tokyo — wherever — and stay in the place that Al Capone and his family spent time in?” said Anthony, 56, who owns a number of rental properties in the city and out of state. “It would be a great Chicago experience to go home and tell your friends about.”

For Capone, the modest two-flat was a practical first home for a man just starting to make money but not yet “filthy rich,” said Jonathan Eig, author of the biography, “Get Capone.”

“This is a family of immigrants and they wanted to be in a neighborhood where they would fit in and where they felt comfortable,” Eig said. “He wanted to send his son to school and his wife and mother could go to church every day.”

It was a neighborhood of mom-and-pop grocery stores and kids tossing balls in their backyards — a world away from Capone’s glitzy headquarters, The Metropole Hotel at 23rd and South Michigan. The house on Prairie was Capone’s primary residence until he was sent to prison for tax evasion in 1931. His mother, Theresa, continued to live there until her death in the early 1950s. The home’s most recent owner could not be reached for comment.

Smith has represented the building for the past six months, after it went through a foreclosure.

As of last Tuesday, he’d done 60 showings in less than a week and fielded “countless phone calls.”

The house, built in 1905, offers six bedrooms and two bathrooms. The clean-looking interior has hardwood floors but, Smith admits, could do with some updating.

The listing narrative, which Smith wrote, doesn’t try to hide the home’s past: “Truly a piece of Chicago history.”

There’s no point, Smith said, everyone knows who lived there.

“Is that Big Al’s old hangout?” said Wayne Johnson, 68, who happened to be driving through the neighborhood. “Might be some money buried in some of those tunnels he’s got there.”

Legend has it that there was at one time a tunnel connecting the house to Capone’s garage at the rear of the property.

“That’s mythology,” said Eig, who has been inside the house. According to rumor, “every building he set foot in has a tunnel for him to escape. I don’t believe it most of the time.”

“No, no, no ghosts,” Smith said, with a chuckle.

Christine Moscinski isn’t so sure. She was a real estate broker in 2014 and had a handful of showings.

“Upstairs was normal, but in the basement, you definitely felt a presence — that’s all I can say,” said Moscinski, who described it as a “tingling” feeling.

That wouldn’t bother one of its would-be owners.

“For a city that tries so hard to downplay its organized crime background and history, it’s neat to find a little gem like this that’s so accessible and that you can reach out and touch,” Anthony said.

But with all the current interest, it might not end up being his.

“That’s tough because now it’s a bidding war and I don’t like that situation,” he said. “It’s going to be a real prize to have.”

Stefano Esposito

For more details (and photos) regarding the property, here are the listings from several different real estate websites:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 991#photo0

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7244 ... 6578_zpid/

https://www.movoto.com/home/7244-s-prai ... 1_10268357

Here is a link to the property in Google Earth:

https://earth.google.com/web/@41.762506 ... 5CV0FQdxAC

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

Quote:
Gov. J.B. Pritzker wants a 5-cent bag tax across Illinois. Shoppers aren't buying it.

Robert Channick
Contact Reporter

For more than two years, Chicagoans have struggled with a nagging decision at grocery stores and other retailers – pay 7 cents for a disposable bag, or somehow do without.

Now, if Gov. J.B. Pritzker has his way, shoppers across the state will face a similar choice.

In his inaugural budget, Pritzker has proposed a 5-cent tax on all plastic bags used at checkout in Illinois. The goal is to reduce waste and raise revenue.

But while environmentalists cheer the initiative, early feedback suggests shoppers aren’t buying it.

“Pretty soon they’re going to be taxing the air that you breathe,” said Jim Pruim, 57, a truck driver from southwest suburban Willowbrook.

Pruim left Pete’s Fresh Market in Willowbrook Friday morning with three bags of groceries, including one that was doubled bagged because of the weight. That would set him back 20 cents under the proposal. While he said the bag tax alone “wouldn’t make or break” him, the cumulative effect of government “taxing everything” adds up.

In Chicago, the frustration may add up even more, to 12 cents a bag if the state tax is heaped on top of the city tax. Chicago may be exempted but city and state officials said that issue had yet to be worked out.

Regardless, “it’s not going to be well received by the customers,” said Vanessa Dremonas, executive officer for family owned Pete’s Fresh Market, which has 13 grocery stores in the city and suburbs. “They have a hard enough time accepting the 7-cent tax.”

The state’s budget proposal, announced Wednesday, projects the bag tax will generate between $19 million and $23 million in new annual revenue, depending on whether or not Chicago is exempted.

Chicago’s 7-cent bag tax went into effect on Feb. 1, 2017. The city keeps 5 cents per bag, while the retailer keeps 2 cents. The charge shows up on store receipts, right next to other municipal sales tax items such as the Chicago bottled water tax. The tax does not apply to restaurants and families using food stamps.

The city collected $5.6 million in 2017 and $5.9 million last year from the bag tax, Department of Finance spokeswoman Kristen Cabanban said.

That’s lower than the $9.2 million the city projected before the bag tax was implemented, a discrepancy that Cabanban attributed to “greater than anticipated” changes in consumer behavior.

A 2017 study showed a 42 percent reduction in bag use after the tax was implemented. But reports from the checkout lines at Pete’s Fresh Market suggest some shoppers reduced their bag usage in unpredictable ways, juggling purchases in their arms or pushing carts full of unbagged products out the door.

Continued at above link

Chicago/Illinois Democrats have never found a tax that they didn't like.

Nickle and diming Illinois taxpayers is going to do little to stem this tide:

Illinois declines in population for fifth year in a row with more than 45,000 fewer residents

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:54 am 
Sergeant Major

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019 ... h-or-poor/

Quote:
Study: Chicago’s Middle Class ‘Almost Gone,’ Majority Either Rich or Poor

25 Feb 2019

The middle class in Chicago, Illinois is “almost gone,” new research finds, as the vast majority of residents are either wealthy professionals or working-class residents living paycheck to paycheck.

Research by the Voorhies Center chronicled the near six-decade shrinking of Chicago’s middle class, which is close to nonexistent today, as corporate developers and multinational conglomerates continue dominating metropolises across the U.S. — forcing middle class residents out.

For instance, in 1970, middle income residents made up about half of Chicago, while about 42 percent of residents were either poor or working class and less than ten percent were considered wealthy.

Fast forward to 2017 and Chicago is made up primarily of working class or poor residents, 62 percent, and more than 20 percent are wealthy professionals. The middle class makes up only 16 percent of the city’s population today.

A map of the drastic middle class exodus of Chicago depicts a city where wealthy high income earners are concentrated in the downtown, skyscraper neighborhood, while mostly poor and working class residents make up almost all of the rest of the surrounding areas.

“We have two cities,” co-director of the Voorhees Center for at the University of Illinois at Chicago Janet Smith told WBEZ. “We have the rich and we have the poor.”

A majority of neighborhoods in Chicago that were once considered middle class in 1970 are now poor or working class neighborhoods, an economic change that has been coupled with rapid demographic changes primarily driven by the country’s mass legal immigration.

Today, more than 20 percent of Chicago’s population is foreign-born.

Harry Meyer, who grew up in the Gage Park neighborhood, told WBEZ that when he lived in the area in the 1970s it was 95 percent a white middle class neighborhood. By the 1990s, the demography of the neighborhood drastically changed from mostly white middle class residents to poorer Mexican immigrant residents, Meyer said.

“It went from 95 percent white to 95 percent Mexican in that 10-year period,” Meyer said.

Indeed, mass illegal immigration — where many times more than a million illegal aliens arrived in the country every year — dominated the 1990s and thus demographically changed the makeup of many middle class regions of the country in a very short period of time.

At the same time, former President George H.W. Bush expanded legal immigration levels at the pleasure of Wall Street, corporate developers, the big business lobby, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce — all of which have profited greatly from the policy’s redistribution of wealth from middle class Americans to the wealthiest of earners.

“When you go back to 1970, the areas that are considered middle income — those were basically white,” demographer Rob Paral told WBEZ.

Chicago is not alone in its income inequality. Other metropolis cities, like San Francisco, New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Washington, D.C., have all become havens for the rich-poor economic gap.

Researchers have said New York City, for example, is losing about 100 middle class residents every day as the city’s population booms — primarily because of immigration — and real estate becomes increasingly expensive.

In the 1970s, middle class New Yorkers made up about 61 percent of the city’s population. Today, that middle income population has shrunk to less than 50 percent.

As Breitbart News has chronicled, between 1979 and 2017, the wages of the country’s bottom 90 percent — poor, working class, and middle class U.S. workers — have grown by only 22 percent. Meanwhile, the country’s top one percent — the wealthiest of Americans — have seen their salaries grow 155 percent over that same period and the top 0.01 percent saw their wages grow 343 percent. This means that the billionaire class has seen more than 15 times the wage growth since 1979 of the working and middle class.

John Binder is a reporter for Breitbart News. Follow him on Twitter at @JxhnBinder.

The Chicago of my childhood is gone.

This demographic change in the city is also why so many Roman Catholic and other parochial (religious--Lutheran, Jewish) schools and churches have closed. The white middle class families that sent their kids to these schools and attended these churches/houses of worship moved out to the suburbs. The minority Roman Catholic families that moved in (particularly Mexican) are low income and cannot afford to send their children to parochial schools.

The Roman Catholic high school that I attended from 1980-84 had an enrollment in excess of 2,800. It was then the largest all boys high school in the United States. The enrollment for this same school, now co-ed, was approximately 500 in 2018.
The school somehow survives while numerous other Roman Catholic high schools in Chicago have closed their doors.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:38 pm 
Sergeant Major

The municipal election in Chicago happened yesterday...and there is still not a new mayor.

14 candidates ran, with no one candidate getting a majority.

Quote:
CHICAGO MAYOR
CANDIDATE VOTES
Lori Lightfoot 91,986 17.5%
Toni Preckwinkle 84,639 16.1%
William Daley 77,570 14.7%
Willie Wilson 56,372 10.7%
Susana Mendoza 47,582 9.0%
Amara Enyia 42,056 8.0%
Jerry Joyce 38,595 7.3%
Gery Chico 32,809 6.2%
Paul Vallas 28,596 5.4%
Garry McCarthy 14,023 2.7%
La Shawn Ford 5,286 1.0%
Bob Fioretti 3,991 0.8%
John Kozlar 2,187 0.4%
Neal Sales-Griffin 1,400 0.3%

So there will be a runoff between the top two vote getters.
The new mayor will be an African-American female.

Note: William Daley, brother to one prior mayor and son of another, came in 3rd place.

In the race for 13th Ward Alderman, (the race that I previously posted about there the Democratic Machine candidate's (Marty Quinn) campaign submitted falsified petitions to get his challenger thrown off the ballot), Mr. Quinn won in a landslide:

Quote:
Ward 13
*Incumbent
CANDIDATE VOTES
Marty Quinn* 10,131 85.8%
David Krupa 1,679 14.2%

In the Ward 14 race which involved Edward Burke, the man currently under federa indictment for a host of charges, he also won his race, albeit by a smaller margin than Mr Quinn:

Quote:
Ward 14 *Incumbent
CANDIDATE VOTES
Edward Burke* 3,759 53.8%
Tanya Patino 2,075 29.7%
Jaime Guzman 1,153 16.5%

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/pol ... story.html

Chicago politics, where trickery and deceitfulness is the norm, and crooks get elected/re-elected.

The run off election will be April 2 (a shame that it could not have been a day earlier ;-) )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

So, some more results of the Chicago municipal election:

Quote:

As many as 5 socialists could join City Council after election successes Tuesday

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/socia ... ction-dsa/

The Democratic-Socialist Party will have a minimum of 2, but potentially up to 5 members on the 50 member Chicago City Council.

The Republican has 1 member on the Council.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next