maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Illinois: Greece on Lake Michigan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Anthropoid wrote:
Russian hacking is doing a helluva job depleting the Great State of Lincoln's population.

I left Illinois in 2000, and I was apparently not the last one to do so. :lol:

I have read that many are making the shorter migration to neighboring states, while others have made the commute south (Florida, Texas, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc).

I don't mind the people moving down here but one area of concern to me is that many of those coming down here are Democrats and they haven't quite figured out why Illinois turned into the disaster that it has become. They come down here and then want to vote Democrat and install many of the same sorts of policies/programs that have have led to Illinois' downfall.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:11 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
chijohnaok wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:
Russian hacking is doing a helluva job depleting the Great State of Lincoln's population.

I left Illinois in 2000, and I was apparently not the last one to do so. :lol:

I have read that many are making the shorter migration to neighboring states, while others have made the commute south (Florida, Texas, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc).

I don't mind the people moving down here but one area of concern to me is that many of those coming down here are Democrats and they haven't quite figured out why Illinois turned into the disaster that it has become. They come down here and then want to vote Democrat and install many of the same sorts of policies/programs that have have led to Illinois' downfall.

Oh sure, blame it on the heroic Democrats, out to help the people . . .

Well obviously, you just can't deal with the reality that Russian Hacking is the primary cause for Illinois'es woes :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... story.html

Quote:
Editorial: Chicago's pension precipice: It's worse than you thought.

April 3, 2018

By Editorial Board

Chicago taxpayers, prepare for another kick in the teeth. In fact, it might be a good time to grow fond of the toothless grin. Another recent court decision will put taxpayers on the hook for additional city pension debts. Yes, even more than before.

A circuit court judge in March struck down a 2014 state law that eased pressure on the pension fund of Chicago Park District retirees. The law had increased Park District employees’ own contributions to the fund, increased their retirement-eligible age, reduced their annual cost-of-living increases and reduced duty disability benefits. But those changes will be rolled back, due to the ruling.

That means the Park District — you, taxpayers — will have to come up with reimbursements for workers’ higher contributions, plus interest. Going forward the district will have to figure out how to stabilize the retirement fund without those cost-saving changes. Chicago’s pension funds — for municipal workers and laborers, teachers, police and firefighters, and now Park District employees — face serious unfunded liabilities. The Civic Federation estimates the Park District fund has about 39 percent of what it needs to make future benefits payments.

The judge’s ruling came on top of a recent analysis of the Chicago Public Schools teacher pension fund that showed taxpayers will owe another $1 billion to shore up that retirement account, bringing that unfunded liability to $11 billion.

How much more of this will taxpayers tolerate?

Let’s take a look at one metric revealing their confidence in Chicago, and Chicago-area, governance: Chicago was the only region in the nation’s top 10 metro areas that experienced a decrease in population in 2017, U.S. Census Bureau numbers show. The state of Illinois is experiencing a more accelerated exodus. Taxpayers are well aware of the pension and other debts from multiple governments already hanging over them, and they’re fleeing before the avalanche.

When changes to the Chicago Park District retirement system passed the General Assembly, Mayor Rahm Emanuel and others touted the law as a framework for compromise. Many of the unions representing Park District workers agreed to the changes in order to stabilize the funds. We were hopeful those changes would stick.

But workers with Service Employees International Union objected and filed a lawsuit in 2015. With the court ruling last month, they ultimately succeeded in arguing that the law unconstitutionally diminished pension benefits.

Our question is, at what point will taxpayers conclude the debts are insurmountable? That taxing and borrowing won’t save the city’s pension funds? That sticking hardworking taxpayers with the bill, due to irresponsible politicians, won’t fly anymore? That despite all the additional money taxpayers are contributing, the unfunded liability of many funds continues to grow? That urgent change is needed?

Those are the questions. We’re still waiting for politicians in Springfield, in Chicago’s City Hall and in other governments statewide to supply the answers. We don’t know whether those will involve further reductions in public services to pay pension costs, or amending the Illinois Constitution to change its pension benefits guarantee, or maybe electing new politicians to replace those whose generosity with other people’s money created these enormous pension debts.

Most of the unions realize that the existing pension system was not sustainable, but the Service Employees International Union weren't happy with the deal and now the deal is thrown out.

More pension funding required by the Chicago taxpayers...who are fleeing, and I predict will flee in ever greater numbers.
The day will come where the burden is no longer sustainable and then everyone will lose (well, maybe not Rahm and the other Chicago pols).

Come on Rahm, you gonna let this crisis go to waste?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:20 pm 
Sergeant Major

This has been a bad week for Chicago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

Quote:
Chicago sees its most violent week of the year: 9 killed, 76 wounded

By Chicago Tribune staff
Chicago Tribune

The last seven days in Chicago have been the most violent week of the year, with just three police districts on the West Side bearing the brunt of the recent violence, according to data kept by the Tribune.

At least 85 people were shot between Monday, April 30, and this past Sunday, including a 4-year-old girl, a 12-year-old boy, a 15-year-old on a CTA bus, a young mother, several other young teens, a federal agent and two relatives of a gunshot victim waiting outside a hospital.

Of those shot, at least nine died.

The city had been averaging about 42 shootings each week this year, according to Tribune data. With last week’s shootings, the average rises to almost 45 people a week. The least violent period was the week of Feb. 5, when 16 people were shot in Chicago.

Nearly half of those shot in the last week were hit by gunfire in three police districts that have long been troubled by violence: Harrison, Ogden and Austin.

At least 25 people were shot in the Harrison District, bounded roughly by Division Street, Roosevelt Road, Western Avenue and Cicero Avenue. One shooting last week wounded five people, including a young mother who was killed. There were two double-shootings within five hours on the same block of Madison Street over the weekend. A 12-year-old boy was seriously hurt.

Another nine people were shot in the Ogden District, which borders Harrison on the south. They included two women wounded Saturday evening outside Mount Sinai Hospital while waiting to hear about a relative who had been shot earlier in the day.

Five people were shot in the Austin District, which borders Harrison on the west, including a 16-year-old boy critically wounded Wednesday afternoon.

In the Grand Central District, which borders Harrison on the north and extends into the Northwest Side, at last six people were shot, according to Tribune data. They included a man and a woman who were hit while driving down Cicero Avenue Saturday morning.

The rest of the week's shootings were scattered among 11 other police districts across the city, including five shot in the Englewood District on the South Side and five in the Calumet District on the Far South Side.

Police Department supervisors in the Harrison, Austin, Ogden and Grand Central districts have been analyzing shooting data in real time through a computer program called HunchLab to quickly determine where to best deploy patrol and tactical officers.

The deployments are integrated with ShotSpotter gunshot detection technology, which tells officers in the field where gunfire is coming from on their work-issued smart phones.

The technology is used at Strategic Decision Support Centers, where police district personnel analyze data projected on large TV screens displaying crime maps and surveillance video footage from police cameras in neighborhoods.

The recent burst of violence brings the number of people shot in the city this year to at least 804, according to data kept by the Tribune. That's below the previous two years, when violence hit record levels. Last year at this time, 1,087 people had been shot. In 2016, the number was 1,199. But this year's numbers are still substantially higher than other recent years.

Homicides have followed the same pattern, with at least 161 this year. That compares to 198 this time last year, and 205 in 2016, according to Tribune data.

The weather is warming up there so naturally more people are out and historically the violence tends to increase as warmer weather approaches.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
It is warmer in my county as well, but no one has been shot here all year. No one last year either, or the year before that or the year before that ... not since I've lived here ... 5.5 years. No one.

I wonder what is different ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Well, I'll be ... I was wrong !! Someone was shot and I didn't get the memo !! Ok ... one guy, doing something bad ... in 5 years !?

http://www.cjonline.com/news/20180322/wabaunsee-county-shooting-death-of-alma-man-ruled-justifiable-self-defense

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:47 am 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 10460
Thank goodness Chicago has such tough gun laws. I mean it looks like the reporting from Fallujah as is but if they had more lax gun laws it would have casualty reports rivaling Iwo Jima.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:01 am 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
Well, I'll be ... I was wrong !! Someone was shot and I didn't get the memo !! Ok ... one guy, doing something bad ... in 5 years !?

http://www.cjonline.com/news/20180322/wabaunsee-county-shooting-death-of-alma-man-ruled-justifiable-self-defense

Well, all things considered....I think Chicago probably has like 300-400 times more people than your county does Wilkerson.

And then there is also the urban heat factor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:21 am 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
... the urban heat factor ...

Ah, that must be it. Whereas out here, we have the country heat factor !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
Quote:
... the urban heat factor ...

Ah, that must be it. Whereas out here, we have the country heat factor !

Yes, different kinds of herds.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next