maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control Works!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Quote:

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/201 ... a-lawsuit/

Attorney General Maura Healey’s decision to close a loophole regarding the sale of assault weapons has produced some consequences. The Massachusetts chapter of the National Rifle Association is suing her and Governor Charlie Baker over the state’s assault weapons ban.
As reported by the Boston Globe, the suit contends that the state’s definition of assault weapons is a “non-technical, entirely fabricated, and political term of uncertain definition and scope.” The assault weapons ban has been in place since 1998, but Healey acted in July to shut down sales of weapons that have had minor modifications made to them to exempt them from the rule. She’s facing a separate lawsuit over that modification from gun rights activists.

The current suit names Baker, the state’s public safety secretary, and the State Police as defendants in addition to Healey. Jay Porter, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, told the Globe, “The level of hostility to the gun-owning public in the state of Massachusetts has grown to be intolerable.” Healey’s office, via spokeswoman Jillian Fennimore, argued that “the assault weapons ban keeps dangerous, military-style weapons off our streets” and said that since her action in July, sales of illegal assault weapons had ceased.

———

https://www.law360.com/articles/1104068 ... titutional

NRA Tells 1st Circ. Mass. AR-15 Ban Is Unconstitutional
Law360 (November 21, 2018, 2:32 PM EST) -- The National Rifle Association urged the First Circuit on Tuesday to reverse Massachusetts' ban on assault weapons and large capacity magazines, arguing that the state law is "categorically unconstitutional," because it bans an entire class of protected firearms that are owned by millions. In a 34-page amicus brief, the NRA argued that the lower court erred in upholding the long-standing state law that bans multiple common firearms, along with ammunition magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds. The NRA said the firearms are owned by millions of law-abiding citizens across the country, and therefore the U. S. Supreme Court's decision in. . .

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
Well that is a start. Next they should go after their BASIC restrictions on owning firearms AT ALL.

The last time I spoke to anyone at the NRA, who were hitting me up for money (I'm a lifetime member) I asked them if they had any suits underway against any of the states which have been breaching citizens rights for years, decades even. The rep I spoke to had no knowledge of such actions. I told him and the NRA off for failing to do what was really needed: to go on the LEGAL OFFENSIVE against the states which have laws and policies ON THE BOOKS which are objectively infringing our fellow citizens 2nd Amendment Rights. I was pretty pissed at them . . . This was likely 2013 or 2014, so perhaps I put a bug in someone's ear? :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:36 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Well that is a start. Next they should go after their BASIC restrictions on owning firearms AT ALL.

The last time I spoke to anyone at the NRA, who were hitting me up for money (I'm a lifetime member) I asked them if they had any suits underway against any of the states which have been breaching citizens rights for years, decades even. The rep I spoke to had no knowledge of such actions. I told him and the NRA off for failing to do what was really needed: to go on the LEGAL OFFENSIVE against the states which have laws and policies ON THE BOOKS which are objectively infringing our fellow citizens 2nd Amendment Rights. I was pretty pissed at them . . . This was likely 2013 or 2014, so perhaps I put a bug in someone's ear? :lol:

Quote:
The rep I spoke to had no knowledge of such actions.

It's quite likely that this "rep" was an employee of a telemarketing contractor/vendor who the NRA hired to make these calls.
If so, they are likely NOT NRA members and are simply working off of a script that they have been given.

One of those links I provided above in my post (the one with the list of Massachusetts law suits), also summarized lawsuits in other states that the NRA has filed suits in.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

If they have finally gone on the legal offensive, good for them!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17151
Theyve been on the job getting those laws struck down for decades.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:32 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4178
The last massacre in Massachusetts was 19 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:55 am 
Sergeant Major

Joe wrote:

And what does any "massacre" have to do with American's civil rights? If anything, a "massacre" is likely a good argument for more full manifestation of American's civil rights, including the right to self-defense and the right to bear arms.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:59 am 
Sergeant Major

Boston has a bit of experience when it comes to massacres...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:45 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4178
Anthropoid wrote:
Joe wrote:

And what does any "massacre" have to do with American's civil rights? .

The title of this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Joe wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:

And what does any "massacre" have to do with American's civil rights? .

The title of this thread.

How do their crime stats compare to say . . . Georgia, or Montana, or Missouri, or Arkansas? That would be more salient than the date of the last "massacre."

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next