maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Universal Voter Registration
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1209
So everyone at legal age can vote in North Dakota.

Well higher turnout than in average US.

Still very low. What is the reason?

Think about it. ;)

Nothing to do with the election system? :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
nero wrote:

Think about it. ;)

Now you are moving the goalposts Nero.

I thought that your issue was the voter registration system in the US and claiming that poor voter registration laws are to blame for low voter turnout.

So I give you an example of a state that has no voter registration requirements and the voter turnout is still relatively low (slightly better than the country as a whole but not significantly better), and now you want to change the subject by discussing the election system as a whole.

----

Many people in the US are interested in our government, who is elected, who makes the laws, etc.
Those people will generally follow politics, and they will make the effort to go out and register, and then also to vote.

On the other hand, some people simply don't give a shit about who is running the country (for a variety of reasons).
They choose not to follow politics, they don't make the effort to register, or then even if they do register, they still do not go out and vote.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
nero wrote:

Think about it. ;)

Now you are moving the goalposts Nero.

I thought that your issue was the voter registration system in the US and claiming that poor voter registration laws are to blame for low voter turnout.

So I give you an example of a state that has no voter registration requirements and the voter turnout is still relatively low (slightly better than the country as a whole but not significantly better), and now you want to change the subject by discussing the election system as a whole.

----

Many people in the US are interested in our government, who is elected, who makes the laws, etc.
Those people will generally follow politics, and they will make the effort to go out and register, and then also to vote.

On the other hand, some people simply don't give a shit about who is running the country (for a variety of reasons).
They choose not to follow politics, they don't make the effort to register, or then even if they do register, they still do not go out and vote.

Not really so.

In North Dakota the turnout is higher than in the US on average. And the I think that the population in North Dakota is pretty white, so no reasons for Jim Crow laws and other means of preventing blacks and othe minorities to vote. Perhaps people in North Dakota are just too lazy to vote or the distance to the nearest polling station is too long or what ever... :roll:

The point is that only in all white states this no registration shows any increase in voting turnout. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

I found this which tracks voting turnout in North Dakota back to the year 2000:

https://i0.wp.com/www.sayanythingblog.c ... C403&ssl=1

Here is a snippet from the article that goes along with that chart

Quote:
Turnout has remained steady – stagnant, I suppose you could say – but we should remember that the national average for voter turnout in presidential election years is about 57 percent.

Also, based on an average of the last four presidential election cycles, the folks at 24/7 Wall Street found that North Dakota had the seventh highest voter turnout rate in the nation.

Could we improve? Sure. But we’re doing pretty well, compared to other states, and I’d argue that to the extent North Dakota’s turnout has fallen off a bit in recent cycles, it’s probably due to a lack of competitive political races.

We’ve had some hot debates over statewide ballot measures, sure, but beyond that Democrats have often run very weak candidates against the Republican candidates. They’ve even left races on the statewide ballot, not to mention legislative races, without a challenger at all.

North Dakota has very strong voter turnout rates despite a political environment that’s not very competitive. I’m not sure this is an issue we need to worry about.

https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/n ... l-average/

Quote:
I’d argue that to the extent North Dakota’s turnout has fallen off a bit in recent cycles, it’s probably due to a lack of competitive political races.

We’ve had some hot debates over statewide ballot measures, sure, but beyond that Democrats have often run very weak candidates against the Republican candidates. They’ve even left races on the statewide ballot, not to mention legislative races, without a challenger at all.

So whose fault is it for low turnouts in North Dakota?
Democrats for either running weak candidates or no candidates at all. :lol:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
I found this which tracks voting turnout in North Dakota back to the year 2000:

https://i0.wp.com/www.sayanythingblog.c ... C403&ssl=1

Here is a snippet from the article that goes along with that chart

Quote:
Turnout has remained steady – stagnant, I suppose you could say – but we should remember that the national average for voter turnout in presidential election years is about 57 percent.

Also, based on an average of the last four presidential election cycles, the folks at 24/7 Wall Street found that North Dakota had the seventh highest voter turnout rate in the nation.

Could we improve? Sure. But we’re doing pretty well, compared to other states, and I’d argue that to the extent North Dakota’s turnout has fallen off a bit in recent cycles, it’s probably due to a lack of competitive political races.

North Dakota has very strong voter turnout rates despite a political environment that’s not very competitive. I’m not sure this is an issue we need to worry about.

https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/n ... l-average/

Quote:
I’d argue that to the extent North Dakota’s turnout has fallen off a bit in recent cycles, it’s probably due to a lack of competitive political races.

So whose fault is it for low turnouts in North Dakota?
Democrats for either running weak candidates or no candidates at all. :lol:

OK, you said it, there is nothing to vote for, everything is prefixed.

That is the reason. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
\
Not really so.

In North Dakota the turnout is higher than in the US on average. And the I think that the population in North Dakota is pretty white, so no reasons for Jim Crow laws and other means of preventing blacks and other minorities to vote. Perhaps people in North Dakota are just too lazy to vote or the distance to the nearest polling station is too long or what ever... :roll:

The point is that only in all white states this no registration shows any increase in voting turnout. :lol:

Riddle me this then Nero:

Why do states that have a large minority population (Hawaii only 25.4% white, California is only 61.8% white, New York only 64.6% white) have voter registration laws?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph ... _ethnicity

[Also, as a point of information, Hawaii has voted Democratic in every Presidential election since 1988, California every Presidential election since 1992, and New York every presidential election since 1988]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii#Politics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_California
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_(state)#Politics

Do these Democrat-controlled states with large numbers of minorities have voter registration laws simply to prevent their blacks and other minorities from voting?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:

Think about it. ;)

https://www.dailywire.com/news/36930/nb ... n-saavedra

Quote:
NBC News 'Reporter' Nudges Millennials To Vote Democrat, Gets Surprised

ByRYAN SAAVEDRA
@REALSAAVEDRA
October 9, 2018

NBC News correspondent Jacob Soboroff encouraged millennials to vote during a segment that aired on Tuesday —hinting that they needed to vote for Democratic candidates — only to learn that not only are students not interested in voting, but they also are not interested in the narratives the media is pushing.

Soboroff visited the University of California-Irvine campus in Orange County — a conservative area — to search for students who were interested in voting in the upcoming election.

"Sorry, not to be annoying, but we're with NBC News and I'm just trying to figure out, is anyone here going to vote in the election on November 6?" Soboroff asked. "Anybody? Anybody? Nobody's going to vote?"

Most of the students didn't even acknowledge him.

"Is anybody going to vote in the Congressional election in November?" Soboroff asked as he grew frustrated.

Finally, one student acknowledged him and said that he was going to vote and that the cost of education was the most important issue to him but then added that he doesn't watch the news and wasn't interested in narratives being pushed by the media, like the Russia investigation.

Soboroff talked to other students and told them that the "the Democrats want" them to vote for their far-left party but that "they can't count on you guys necessarily."

WATCH:

[Tweet and video at the above link]

These millenials seem to have little interest in voting.
It's not because they have been unable to register.

It appears that they simply don't give a shit.

PS This journalist doesn't appear to be 'unbiased' as he was dropping hints that they should vote for the Democrats.

And then people wonder why many people are dis-satisfied with the mainstream media...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:36 pm 
Sergeant Major

Higher voter turnout is not a moral victory in any event. Motivated people vote. Those that are uninterested or satisfied with the status quo DON'T.

If you ask me, the idiots who make up their minds the day of the election based on TV ads should NOT vote. FORCING the uninterested to register is also a recipe for fraud.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
Higher voter turnout is not a moral victory in any event. Motivated people vote. Those that are uninterested or satisfied with the status quo DON'T.

If you ask me, the idiots who make up their minds the day of the election based on TV ads should NOT vote. FORCING the uninterested to register is also a recipe for fraud.

It would be better if the minorities would not vote. So make their voting as difficult as possible. -- GOP.

It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact. -- Ann Coulter.

;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
jack t ripper wrote:

It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact. -- Ann Coulter.

;)

Coulter is right. The other one you made up.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next