maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Will Electric Cars Crash The Grid?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18382
Put a hitch on the electric and ur good to go.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
C_S wrote:
Put a hitch on the electric and ur good to go.

LOL.

I wonder if that image would be lost on some of the green/electric car fanbois?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18382
Also watching a prius owner trying to back a trailer would be comedy.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
C_S wrote:
Also watching a prius owner trying to back a trailer would be comedy.

I picture them unhitching the trailer and manually backing it up by hand.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16086
In 100 years, maybe 200? Electric cars will be hands-down better than internal combustion engines.

But wishing we has space age batteries, power transmission, and efficiencies NOW doesn't make it that way. Try taking a long meandering wanderbout the U.S. in a Tesla: cannot do it. Not even sure you can make it from LA to Atlanta in a Tesla without getting towed part of the way. Even if you can, you would very definitely have to plan your route with precision and stick to it or wind up dead by the side of the road.

And what happens to all those fancy fucking lithium batteries in 10 years? Do they still work as well as a 10 year old petrol tank works? What about when the thing has to be disposed of? Based on what I know about disposable of electric fork lifts, the owner will have to fork up tens of thousands to get a recycler to haul off their old Tesla when the time comes. I can at least get a few hundred smackers for my old rusted out gas powered Civic, and the junker will likely make several thousand off that vehicle over the years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:01 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
The naive electric car people think they can have their cake & eat it too, right now.

From what I've gathered, most of these Greenie types think charging big ass electric batteries all the time is somehow the answer to clean energy. Yet they often despise the use of nuclear power, which is the only reliably way to provide said electricity en masse. All that electricity isn't just created out of the blue, yet I think the electro-zealots try to persuade themselves that it does.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:15 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 2680
NefariousKoel wrote:
The naive electric car people think they can have their cake & eat it too, right now.

From what I've gathered, most of these Greenie types think charging big ass electric batteries all the time is somehow the answer to clean energy. Yet they often despise the use of nuclear power, which is the only reliably way to provide said electricity en masse. All that electricity isn't just created out of the blue, yet I think the electro-zealots try to persuade themselves that it does.

To be fair, the main problem with renewable energy is dispatchability and one solution to that is stored power.

However batteries are just terrible at storing the amount of energy required for this. Pumped hydro is way better.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6