My Mom....

The rules: No spamming, no making a nuisance of yourself.

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

Lava
Sergeant

My Mom....

#1 Post by Lava » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:40 am

So...

Last Friday my mother, whose is in her 80's, had a heavy cold and it was in her lungs. She went to the doctor and he gave her antibiotics. She was quite sick and very tired.

Saturday evening she was laying on the couch and got up to get something, fell down and was lodged under a side table. Her best friend called her Saturday evening, but of course she didn't answer the phone. Sunday morning she called repeatedly and then called the police. They saw her laying on the floor and got in through the back door and took her to the hospital.

Her friend called me Monday and told me she was being treated for pneumonia. Tuesday I found out she had broken her hip and I needed to get home. It took me 2 days to get there and arrived at the hospital on Friday morning. They had a success operation on her hip and she was able to move about, however, she told me that she had been diagnosed with lung cancer that had metastasized. Saturday they discharged here to a rehab center. Sunday morning they found her on the floor and she was having hallucinations.

Hopefully tomorrow we will be able to find out why she is having the hallucinations. I have been told it is not unusual for old folks to have hallucinations after having been anesthetized (in this case twice) and hopefully she will get better. But at this point it seems that each day brings more bad news.

I'm totally overwhelmed by all of this and I feel like shit.

If you care, pray for Lava's Mom.

Thanks!
"In this present crisis, Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Joe
Sergeant

Re: My Mom....

#2 Post by Joe » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:56 am

Back in August, my mother was not sick at all. Rather she was very energetic. She died in her sleep aged 84.
Jeep Wrangler 2 door Sport S, Mojito green, Dana M220 rear axle

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#3 Post by Anthropoid » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:03 am

My thoughts are with you and your Mom bro. Like you, I spent most of my adult life far away from my folks. In the case of my so-called "Father" (abusive, alcoholic, swine) that was adaptive and he got what he deserved, dying alone, obese and pathetic. In the case of my Mother it was always painful. I was able to be back with her and spend the last 30 or so hours with her; lung cancer, 50 years of smoking. I'm glad I got that opportunity to be there with her as she passed.

Gump
Staff Sergeant

#4 Post by Gump » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:04 am

Your mom is the worst.... I still tear up after 20 years.....

There is some small comfort in knowing that just about everyone on the planet has gone through the same. Just do the best you can every day.... It's part of life..

CatLover7
Sergeant

#5 Post by CatLover7 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:06 am

Praying for you and your mom.

I went through hell with my mom from 2010-2013. Blindness, bowel obstruction, chronic UTI, dementia, pneumonia. Worst time of my life but I don't regret a minute of it. If she's having confusion/hallucinations/dementia make sure they check thoroughly for infections. The nurses/doctors that don't know better attribute everything to Alzheimer's. UTI was the source of my mom's dementia. She never had Alzheimer's. She did have Lupus starting back in '68 and was given a year to live in '69. She made it to 2013.
"Trump 2020 baby!"

jack t ripper
Sergeant Major

#6 Post by jack t ripper » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:12 am

Very sorry man. Doesn't sound good.

Catlover is right. Particularly unrecognized UTI. Also medication side effects VERY common in the elderly. Sadly, there may also be brain metastases. Stroke risk and pulmonary embolism risk higher after hip fracture as well.

I will pray for her. Just went through lung cancer with my dad.
Strong supporter of global warming as I have invested in speculative vineyard properties around Nome

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#7 Post by chijohnaok » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:38 pm

My thoughts are also with you and your mom.

Both my parents are in the same age range as your mom and dealing with those health issues is never easy (neither for the parent themselves nor for their loved ones).
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

LaPalice
Staff Sergeant

#8 Post by LaPalice » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:32 pm

My thoughts are with you and your mother in those difficult times, Lava. It is good to be with her in those moments.

Lava
Sergeant

#9 Post by Lava » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:37 am

Thanks guys for the support.

We still do not have a prognosis. That will be Friday. Can't make a whole lot of decisions until then. Luckily I have a general and health power of attorney.

First bit of good news was that she participated in her first rehab session yesterday.
"In this present crisis, Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Lava
Sergeant

#10 Post by Lava » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:03 am

Hallucinations have stopped! She is now fully lucid and understands completely what is going on.

That was a huge weight taken off my shoulders.

Next big hurdle will be talking with the cancer doctor on Friday.