Ukrainian 737 crashes outside Tehran

The rules: No spamming, no making a nuisance of yourself.

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

Re: Ukrainian 737 crashes outside Tehran

#161 Post by chijohnaok » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:08 pm

wulfir wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:01 pm
"That's one of the big justifications for nuclear arms controls on smaller nations....they simply don't have the infrastructure to insure "non-stupidity"...."

Israel?
Israel has reportedly had nuclear weapons for over 50 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_w ... and_Israel

Have they used/maintained/managed their nuclear weapons stupidly during that time?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

wulfir
Staff Sergeant

#162 Post by wulfir » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:24 pm

chijohnaok wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:08 pm
Have they used/maintained/managed their nuclear weapons stupidly during that time?
Gump is an idiot, plain and simple. There is no way around it. :twisted:

Israel is the smallest nation with nukes, and they seem to do fine in a pretty shitty neighbourhood.

Russia is Gump's darling, but they behave recklessly in international air/waters - even zapped a few civilian aircraft, had a couple of nuclear mishaps, nothing much is good about Russian infrastructure - seems to me Gump's "size idea" does not hold water.

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#163 Post by Anthropoid » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:18 pm

Some "small" nations are very capable. Some medium-sized nations are very incompetent. Some large countries are shit shows.

jack t ripper
Sergeant Major

#164 Post by jack t ripper » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:24 pm

About half of the theoretical physicists on the Manhattan Project were Jews, by ra way. I would say Israel has been very responsible. They were nearly overrun in 1973. The Syrian armor was highly concentrated in the Golan and could have been devastated by a tactical nuke. Instead, the IDF sacrificed the lives of hundreds of tankers to stop them.
Strong supporter of global warming as I have invested in speculative vineyard properties around Nome

jack t ripper
Sergeant Major

#165 Post by jack t ripper » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:30 pm

Ironically, I think you would have to say the presence of nukes in India and Pakistan has REDUCED the severity of conflict between the two countries. Of course, there is always the chance of a disastrous escalation.
Strong supporter of global warming as I have invested in speculative vineyard properties around Nome

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#166 Post by chijohnaok » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:05 pm

jack t ripper wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:30 pm
Ironically, I think you would have to say the presence of nukes in India and Pakistan has REDUCED the severity of conflict between the two countries. Of course, there is always the chance of a disastrous escalation.
Well, there is also the possibility that some crazy Pakis from the Taliban friendly Northwest Frontier Region manage to track down and hijack one of the nuclear carrying UPS trucks.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Gump
Staff Sergeant

#167 Post by Gump » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:59 am

Perhaps I should have said "less sophisticated" or "medieval shithole" instead of "smaller".... The point is clear to almost anyone...

wulfir
Staff Sergeant

#168 Post by wulfir » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:25 am

Doesn't matter.

Russia is still "less sophisticated" and more of a "medieval shithole" than Israel. :mrgreen:

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#169 Post by chijohnaok » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:58 am

This has a ring of truthiness to it.

jack t ripper
Sergeant Major

#170 Post by jack t ripper » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Iran going to take Trump to the Hague for war crimes. :lol: :lol:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tion-small

These are the same cats who took an entire embassy staff hostage for 450 days.