Updated forum software. Musing about future of forum...

The rules: No spamming, no making a nuisance of yourself.

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

KAding
Corporal

Updated forum software. Musing about future of forum...

#1 Post by KAding » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Right, so the version of phpBB we've been running for the last 10 years or so was becoming a bit of a security hazard. The PHP version it was running is no longer supported. I needed to move to a different server, so this seemed to be a sensible moment to do something about it.

So, I've finally manged to update the forum software. Any mods that were installed or other customization was not included in the migration. This includes the reputation system unfortunately, as that mod hasn't been updated in ages and is no longer supported in newer versions of phpBB. No doubt there have been improvements to the forum software over the years as well though, so maybe that helps ease the pain ;).

I think this is a good moment to consider the future of this forum. Obviously activity isn't what it used to be, but it appears people still appreciate its existence. But still.... where to go from here? Thoughts?
Last edited by KAding on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lava
Sergeant

Re: Updated forum software. Musing about future of forum...

#2 Post by Lava » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:24 pm

My question is... can people still join the forum?

Haven't seen a new face here in ages!
"In this present crisis, Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

KAding
Corporal

#3 Post by KAding » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:32 pm

Well, doggie at some point changed the registration settings to prevent bots from joining and spamming the forum. This meant the he needed to confirm each and every account before they were able to post. Not sure if he was still around to do that? I also noticed e-mail was no longer working, which probably didn't help either!

I fixed both. The new forum software has a much better CAPTCHA, which should prevent spambots from registering.

Mac
First Sergeant

#4 Post by Mac » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Doggie has been MIA for about a year now I think. None of the Mods have posted for awhile either.

P.S Thanks for doing this for us KAding.
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Lava
Sergeant

#5 Post by Lava » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:40 pm

I had a feeling that new folks weren't able to register and the membership just kept dropping off because of it.

I would give it some time and see if we get any new members to join. Perhaps a sticky thread is in order which essentially sets out the rules of the place and welcomes new members. Active moderation, no doubt, will be required.

I personally enjoying loging in here, but if there are less than a dozen folks posting...

Let's see what others have to say.
"In this present crisis, Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

nero
Sergeant Major

#6 Post by nero » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:49 pm

KAding wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:13 pm
So, I've finally manged to update the forum software. Any mods that were installed or other customization was not included in the migration. This includes the reputation system unfortunately, as that mod hasn't been updated in ages and is no longer supported in newer versions of phpBB. No doubt there have been improvements to the forum software over the years as well though, so maybe that helps ease the pain ;).
Good news, tanks veri meni. ;)

But no help to embed YT videos though. Some members have still to suffer. :(

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo[/youtube]

Though I have mixed feelings about the loss of the reputation system. :roll:
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Anthropoid
Sergeant Major
Location: marching home to [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzVYCs4BMY]Erica[/url]

#7 Post by Anthropoid » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:56 pm

SWEEETT! :D

Oh and . . . if you need a moderator, I'll serve. I think everyone knows I have a smattering of IT skills (couple semesters HTML/CSS/XML; tad bit of Javasript; couple semesters Java; few semesters of C++; Active Directory; SQL . . .). I even did an online course on PHP many years ago.

I promise I won't ban anyone unless they commit atrocities AT LEAST as severe as Orange Man :mrgreen:

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#8 Post by chijohnaok » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks for the update Kading.

You are the man behind the curtain who keeps this place functioning.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

LaPalice
Staff Sergeant

#9 Post by LaPalice » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:03 pm

Always good to have inprovements, thank you Kading.

There are often many guests, tens, and maybe that some of them want to join. It is a good thing if it is easier now.

EUBanana
Sergeant Major

#10 Post by EUBanana » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:53 pm

Scharf lost his password and couldn't get it back, apparently the old forum just would not cooperate, at all. And he couldn't register a new user even. I think it was busted.

The 'guests' you see are probably just webcrawlers or some such.
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti