maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: China spying on Australia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:08 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Excellent point about shared interests with Russia vs islamic terrorism.

In some ways, the unspeakable amoral depravity of the Beslan school massacre may be a record holder for acts of terror. 9-11 is much bigger in scale..but still.

Of course, Russia does have a centuries-long record of treating muslim minorities like shit. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:44 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6294
Anthropoid wrote:
They had a Russian loyalist in Ukraine for years (Porochenko) but Porochenko's corruption and loyalty to Russia eventually led to the Maidan Revolution, which apparently Russia never saw coming and had to scramble to try to suppress it.

Nah...

Porochenko - the Chocolate Monarch - came later...

As for Crimea, the Russians probably figured Western disapproval would fade after a while, six months, or six years..., and maybe it would have if they hadn't shot down a passenger plane full of Dutch tourists...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17151
What, specifically, has Netherlands or any other continental European nation done to sanction Russia for shooting down a commercial passenger plane full of Dutch tourists?

Seems to me as though the "west" forgot about it instantly, and Russia got away with it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:
What, specifically, has Netherlands or any other continental European nation done to sanction Russia for shooting down a commercial passenger plane full of Dutch tourists?

Seems to me as though the "west" forgot about it instantly, and Russia got away with it.

Well, they did sign a 500 year contract to buy Russian natural gas on the new Russian pipeline. That certainly got the message across.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:33 pm 
Staff Sergeant

mdiehl wrote:

https://www.government.nl/topics/mh17-incident
https://europa.eu/newsroom/highlights/special-coverage/eu-sanctions-against-russia-over-ukraine-crisis_en

Does not look like they 'forgot it' to me. :D

The Russians probably figured the West would have been pissed for a while and then made a new Obama type Russia-reset.
IIRC Lavrov, at the time of Crimea, said something like 'You are very angry now, but in six months time you will have calmed down..."
I'm guessing not zapping MH17 would have worked in Putin's favour...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17151
I say "what consequences... Russia got away with it."

Wiffle posts links that sez Netherlands investigated the crash. And did nothing else.

Like I said, Russia got away with it.

Quote:
Well, they did sign a 500 year contract to buy Russian natural gas on the new Russian pipeline. That certainly got the message across.

Yep. Netherlands to Russia: "Don't fuck with us or else we will send you money."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:08 pm 
Staff Sergeant

mdiehl wrote:
Wiffle posts links that sez Netherlands investigated the crash. And did nothing else.

mdiehl wrote:

"Forgot about it. Instantly." :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:
I say "what consequences... Russia got away with it."

Like I said, Russia got away with it.

Quote:

Yep. Netherlands to Russia: "Don't fuck with us or else we will send you money."

Well to be fair, the EU included the following in their sanctions of Russia:
Quote:
Exports of certain energy-related equipment and technology to Russia are subject to prior authorisation by competent authorities of Member States. Export licenses will be denied if products are destined for oil exploration and production in waters deeper than 150 meters or in the offshore area north of the Arctic Circle, and projects that have the potential to produce oil from resources located in shale formations by way of hydraulic fracturing.

Of course that does nothing for the billions of dollars in energy sector imports that EU countries are receiving FROM Russia.

It's like slamming shut the front door of the chicken coop in the fox's face while the back door is intentionally left wide open.
:lol:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail