maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Of GOATS and sports
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17151
So.... informal thread. Lots of people don't give a rat's hind end about pro athletes and for me it's mostly just an occasional fun gimmick on the radio. But most Americans at least have or had one favorite team or one favorite player.

Generally I find basketball to be completely boring. The showboat egoes like James or Steph Curry. I've watched maybe an total accumulated ONE hour of basketball over he last 20 years. There's nothing interesting there. There was however, a time, when I could watch ONE player and always be fricking STUNNED at the athleticism and the awareness of where everyone on the court was. There was ONE guy who could hit shots from behind the net, dunk, shoot three pointers, but who also knew how and when to pass the ball.

https://thegruelingtruth.com/basketball/larry-bird-greatest-all-time

For basketball, Larry Bird was THAT GUY.

How about the restovya? Who was the guy or team that made you interested, however briefly, in pro sports?

Post subject: Re: Of GOATS and sports
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:55 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
I can only tolerate basketball in the playoffs and in the last 2 minutes.

The Lakers v Bulls playoffs were the best.

Football. Bo Jackson. Stirring game winning drives over and over..Montana, Elway, Brady, Brees

Baseball. Kirk Gibson 1988 Dodgers WS game 1, walk off. Legendary at bat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17151
That is a classically great AB. Familar faces from the past too. LaSorda. Eckersly ferpete'sake.

I won't say that Curt Shilling is the GOAT but this was a memorable thing for me. Game 6 of the ALCS vs the Yankees. That was the year that the Red Sox came back from an 0-3 game deficit in the ALCS, crushed the Yankees making the Yankees FOREVER the first and most EPIC LOSERS by failing to defeath the Sox and ultimately losing the ALCS to the Sox in Game 7.

The Red Sox then went on to win the World Series. First time since 1918.

Shilling pitching with blood pouring out of a surgical wound in his ankle. Close up at 1:55.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 807
Baseball and the American Pie. :lol:

Mile High Stadium in Denver was called Coors Stadium 2002 when I was there, and the were selling Bud muck there. :o

In Finland we have pesäpallo that is more sports your one. And adapted for military purposes.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:10 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4893
Football: Barry Sanders. Not just the unearthly way he made people miss, but the way he calmly jogged over to the official and handed him the ball after scoring. No choreographed dance or gimmick. Pure class. He used to say, "Act like you've been there before."

Baseball: Ken Griffey Junior. Great in every phase and always made it look effortless. Also probably the only prolific HR hitter of his era that wasn't roiding up.

Racing: Michael Schumacher. In an era where F1 often resembled a parade, he was one of the few drivers that fought for every inch on his way to 7 world titles. Ironically, after 15 seasons risking his life in an F1 car, he finally quit only to suffer a horrible skiing accident that has left him basically a zombie.

Basketball: Bird. A true team player and leader in a me first era. Could dominate a game of super athletes even though he looked more like he should be pushing a broom at halftime then winning NBA championships.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:10 pm 
First Sergeant

The first boxing match I can remember seeing was Ali vs Foreman, The Rumble in the Jungle. I was just a little kid but I got drawn into watching it by the excitement of the adults around me.

Years later I saw Ali lose against Holmes and though it wasn't known at the time that Ali was suffering from Parkinsons it was obvious to even me something wasn't right with him.

I wouldn't get into boxing seriously until some years later when Mike Tyson came along. Ironically I didn't know until quite recently that after Ali was defeated by Holmes, a young Tyson called Ali and vowed to get revenge for him one day.

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

AngryOldMan wrote:
Football: Barry Sanders. Not just the unearthly way he made people miss, but the way he calmly jogged over to the official and handed him the ball after scoring. No choreographed dance or gimmick. Pure class. He used to say, "Act like you've been there before."

Baseball: Ken Griffey Junior. Great in every phase and always made it look effortless. Also probably the only prolific HR hitter of his era that wasn't roiding up.

Racing: Michael Schumacher. In an era where F1 often resembled a parade, he was one of the few drivers that fought for every inch on his way to 7 world titles. Ironically, after 15 seasons risking his life in an F1 car, he finally quit only to suffer a horrible skiing accident that has left him basically a zombie.

Basketball: Bird. A true team player and leader in a me first era. Could dominate a game of super athletes even though he looked more like he should be pushing a broom at halftime then winning NBA championships.

There is one missing. Pele, the golf ball kicker, the most hugest golf ball kicker.

The man who never lies, even if used the axe. The one who can not lie. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Oh Jeez, that Holmes v Tyson fight should have been stopped after the first knockdown.

Tyson is a just a punching beast there. It's not even close in terms of fitness.

I forgot about boxing. Is there any doubt Ali was the greatest heavyweight?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Bo Jackson in baseball. He runs up a wall to make a catch. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:38 am 
Sergeant Major

One GOAT missing, the Greatest.

Or what do you think? ;)

Profile E-mail