maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Arctic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:47 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6044
jack t ripper wrote:
F-16 and F-15 and F-18 are "nuke-capable". I suspect a helicopter on a DDG could carry a nuclear torpedo or depth charge.

True, but the B-2 is more sinister looking, and called a "bomber". Non-American bombers, ships or similar do not count in the eyes of the European peace lovers. FYI.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:52 am 
Staff Sergeant

chijohnaok wrote:
You can’t get any further north than the “North Pole”?

I live north of the Arctic circle. They say it'll be grand with a little bit more global warming.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:05 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
wulfir wrote:
jack t ripper wrote:
F-16 and F-15 and F-18 are "nuke-capable". I suspect a helicopter on a DDG could carry a nuclear torpedo or depth charge.

True, but the B-2 is more sinister looking, and called a "bomber". Non-American bombers, ships or similar do not count in the eyes of the European peace lovers. FYI.

'bombers' are scary.

So those people would also then probably shit themselves at things like this?:

:lol:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
mdiehl wrote:
Global warming is an established fact and CO2 forcing is the only currently supportable explanation. The effect is opening up formerly ice-closed Arctic seas to traffic, fishing, and mineral extraction. Naturally there is a kind of nation state gold rush going on to claim sovereignty in the area.

Good things about global warming:

Finns spend less money on heating oil, or less time throwing reindeer poop into their furnaces.

Sea level rise will force NYers, Californios, and Floridians to devote more time and money protecting their assets and less time whining about firearms.

A bunch of "Chinese islands" will be under water.

You're rather rash in your conclusions I think. Show me the evidence, that is what I always say; it drives gulls like you, Nero and Midol nuts. You just get apoplectic and start jumping up and down and fuming "The evidence is everywhere! Its everywhere! . . . brbhh! Thousands of scientists, millions of measurements! The established scientific FACT!" blah, blah, blah fucking blah.

You people don't have a fucking CLUE what "SCIENCE" even IS. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:13 pm 
Staff Sergeant

«With interest, India is following the development of the Arctic region and is also ready to play an important role in the Arctic Council...."

Heh, India another "near Arctic" country. :roll:

Looks like Putin is hoping to be able to sell natural gas from the Arctic to India. Wonder how big that Indian market is gonna' be...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:06 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16928
The guy with virtually no publications who got tossed from a tenurevtrack job claims he knows something about science. But he has no evidence to support his claim. Shrug.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:15 am 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:
Global warming is an established fact and CO2 forcing is the only currently supportable explanation. The effect is opening up formerly ice-closed Arctic seas to traffic, fishing, and mineral extraction. Naturally there is a kind of nation state gold rush going on to claim sovereignty in the area.

Good things about global warming:

Finns spend less money on heating oil, or less time throwing reindeer poop into their furnaces.

Sea level rise will force NYers, Californios, and Floridians to devote more time and money protecting their assets and less time whining about firearms.

A bunch of "Chinese islands" will be under water.

"fact" you use that word as if it means something important! :lol:

We've been through this so many times . . . I have no idea of the level of rigor or logical integrity in any of your other work. But when it comes to this topic, you exhibit the scientific discipline of a 6 year old. It is just how you are, and I don't begrudge you that. It is ultimately meaningless if you have faith in the fairy tale of anthropogenic carbon dioxide mediated climate control.

Beyond that, there is no point in engaging in the dialogue because you are impervious to any alternative perspectives. The decision is final and you are not changing you're not budging one millimeter. In sum, you have unshakeable faith in the tale. THAT is not a scientific approach, it is a religious approach. But if it actually makes you feel better somehow, I suppose it is--at this stage--fairly harmless.

While you followers of the Church of Goreacle and Saint Greta continue to chant and froth, the largest majority of humanity and ever-increasing numbers of scholars and scientists have edged away from your cult and have grown either silent, or skeptical. That is a good thing for humanity and the non-human denizens of Earth, and IF there are environmental disasters ongoing which we might intervene that state of calm skepticism and openness is the state which is likely to result in the most benefit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:20 am 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:
The guy with virtually no publications who got tossed from a tenurevtrack job claims he knows something about science. But he has no evidence to support his claim. Shrug.

:lol:
Ahh! the ad hominems are already a flowing!

If you actually had something substantive to say about any of my publications I'd be willing to listen but you apparently cannot even be bothered to track down my CV so you can speak with some empirical authority, which is predictable!

One more and you can return to obscurity as far as I'm concerned. I've never liked you to be honest and listening to your blowing-hard on any particular topic on which you consider yourself to be an expert has never actually taught me anything or assisted me in anyway, so . . . I'd be happy if that is the way you want it ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:31 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 9902
mdiehl wrote:
Global warming is an established fact

I'll believe that when folks are clambering for nuclear power.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:45 am 
Staff Sergeant

Anthropoid wrote:
Ahh! the ad hominems are already a flowing!

Don't be such a princess about it. Hit him with your CV. Your publications. Asking him to track it down mostly sounds like you're hiding. :P

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next