maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Trials and Tribulations of Saint Greta Thunberg
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:20 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Here is the opinion piece from Greta and a couple others, that the article that Mac posted is based on:

Quote:

On the next two Fridays, we will again take to the streets: worldwide on November 29, and in Madrid, Santiago, and many other places on December 6 during the UN climate conference. Schoolchildren, young people, and adults all over the world will stand together, demanding that our leaders take action – not because we want them to, but because the science demands it.

That action must be powerful and wide-ranging. After all, the climate crisis is not just about the environment. It is a crisis of human rights, of justice, and of political will. Colonial, racist, and patriarchal systems of oppression have created and fueled it. We need to dismantle them all. Our political leaders can no longer shirk their responsibilities.

Some say that the Madrid conference is not very important; the big decisions will be made at COP26 in Glasgow next year. We disagree. As the science makes clear, we don’t have a single day to lose.

We have learned that, if we do not step up, nobody will. So we will keep up a steady drumbeat of strikes, protests, and other actions. We will become louder and louder. We will do whatever it takes to persuade our leaders to unite behind science so clear that even children understand it.

Collective action works; we have proved that. But to change everything, we need everyone. Each and every one of us must participate in the climate resistance movement. We cannot just say we care; we must show it.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/comme ... al-2019-11

That was just a snippet. You can read the entire piece at the above link.

Nero’s little champion Greta has turned into a full blown social justice warrior (SJW).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:44 pm 
First Sergeant

Quote:
British yacht skipper, 26, wiped out the carbon emissions saved by Greta Thunberg's sail across the Atlantic by flying out to the US to help her

A British yacht skipper's flight to the US to help Greta Thunberg sail to Portugal has produced the same amount of carbon emissions the voyage hoped to save.

Nikki Henderson, 26, flew to the US from Britain to sail 48-foot catamaran the La Vagabonde.

The vessel is carrying Miss Thunberg and her father Svante 3,000 miles to Portugal where she will go onto attend the COP 25 climate change talks in Madrid.

The journey was meant to save approximately two or three tons of carbon dioxide emissions.

But Ms Henderson's flight from Britain to the US likely produced the same amount of emissions the journey hoped to save, countering Ms Thunberg's mission, The Times reports.

Ms Henderson was a skipper in three ARC Trans Atlantic races. In two of them, she was the youngest competitor.

She also skippered the Caribbean 600 and has raced in three Caribbean seasons.

Ms Henderson tweeted: 'I decided to help @Sailing_LaVaga and support Greta because she is changing the world - simply by standing up for what she believes is right and staying true to her values.

I so admire that, and hope to draw strength from her.'

The 16-year-old climate activist, who became world famous for founding the 'school strikes for the climate,' refuses to fly in planes because of the carbon footprint.

The ship, belonging to Australian YouTubers Riley Whitelum and Elayna Carausu, left from Hampton, Virginia, last month.

The couple also have their son Lenny onboard.

It aims to reach Portugal, more than 5,500 kilometers (about 3,500 miles) away. From there Ms Thunberg will make her way to Madrid in Spain for COP 25.

The Australian couple offered to sail Miss Thunberg to Spain after she had issued a plea on social media for help getting back across the Atlantic Ocean, after the summit was moved at the last minute from Santiago in Chile to Madrid due to the protests in the South American country.

They have a YouTube channel boasting more than 1.1million subscribers called Sailing La Vagabonde, which documents their travels onboard the boat.

'Through our videos we hope to inspire others to explore alternative options of living and to spread ocean awareness,' the couple said in their channel description.

In August, Miss Thunberg used a zero-emissions sailboat to sail across the Atlantic ocean from Plymouth in the UK to reach the United States in a 60 ft racing yacht equipped with solar panels and underwater turbines.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... antic.html

Attachment:
1575311883138.jpg
1575311883138.jpg [ 55.88 KiB | Viewed 89 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

https://nypost.com/2019/11/19/120-year- ... -theories/

Quote:
120-year-old photo sparks Greta Thunberg conspiracy theories

By Lauren SteussyNovember 19, 2019 | 3:17pm | Updated

Well, she’s impressive, but she’s not that impressive.

Conspiracy theorists are at it again over a 120-year-old photo depicting a girl who bears an uncanny resemblance to teen environmental activist Greta Thunberg.

The photo, unearthed from archives at the University of Washington, shows three children working at a gold mine in Canada, including a girl wearing Thunberg’s signature braid and stoic expression.

Historians believe it was taken around 1898.

Thunberg, 16, took the world by storm when she arrived at the UN Climate Action Summit from her native Sweden this year via sailboat — having sworn off airplanes because of their environmental impact.

She spoke bluntly to US policymakers at the summit for not having stricter emissions standards.

“How dare you? You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words,” she said at the time.

Thunberg is currently looking to hitch another low-carbon ride across the Atlantic after protests in Chile forced a venue change for an environmental summit.

And while her activism is powerful — nabbing her a cover slot on Time magazine — her ability to time-travel is not, contrary to the Twitter conspiracy mill.

Jack - J.S. Strange
@JackSamStrange
So, ‘Greta Thunberg’ is in a photo from 120 years ago, and it’s my new favourite conspiracy. Greta’s a time traveller, from the future, and she’s here to save us.

2:45 PM - Nov 18, 2019

Continued at above linked article

:lol:

She's not a fricken time traveller...she's really an alien.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

She's secretly reptilian and can't handle the heat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18937
That's not a "stoic" expression. Its a robotic expression. Much more is clear now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:07 am 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
Thunberg, 16, took the world by storm when she arrived at the UN Climate Action Summit

She took the press by storm not the world. Everyone w/ a brain stem recognizes her a 16 yr old kid who is not only inherently a ignorant dumbass just b/c her young age, but is also considered "slow". I don't want to be mean or anything, but since she's diagnosed as "slow" her IQ is known. What age level IQ is it? The level of a 10 yr old, a 8 yr old?

She's going to set international policy is she?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:15 am 
Sergeant Major

https://babylonbee.com/news/fun-new-gre ... imate-sins

Quote:
New Greta On The Shelf Doll Will Track Your Climate Sins

December 2nd, 2019

U.S.—A fun new "Greta on the Shelf" doll will watch you every day and fly back to the UN each night to report your climate sins to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

The doll is equipped with eye sensors programmed to detect activities that are harmful to the environment.

"Greta sees you when you're sleeping, she knows when you drive your SUV to the store instead of taking public transportation," the manufacturer said. "She knows if you've been bad or carbon-neutral, so be carbon-neutral for goodness' sake!"

One couple in Portland proudly displayed their new doll and lectured their children on the true meaning of Christmas: fighting climate change. "We're gonna play a fun game for the holidays this year -- try to be good little carbon-neutral children, or Greta will tell on you!"

"How dare you!" the doll chanted as the kids of the household left the door open while the heater was on. "You have stolen my dreams and my childhood." The doll then blasted off toward UN headquarters using its jet engines to report on the naughty children, who will receive coal in their stocking. They will be snitched on again, however, if they burn the coal for warmth.

Greta is programmed to detect activities including these:

Leaving the light on when you exit a room
    Leaving the fridge open
    Driving an SUV
    Parents participating in illicit activities that may lead to the creation of more humans
    Using a plastic straw instead of sticking your face in a beverage and slurping
    Forgetting your reusable grocery bags at home
    Getting a cut-down Christmas tree
    Getting a carbon-heavy plastic Christmas tree
    Turning on any electric appliances
    Using the heater instead of rubbing two sticks together for warmth

Children have responded enthusiastically to the doll so far, saying things like, "Mommy, I'm scared," and "Make the bad girl go away."

Quote:
"Mommy, I'm scared," and "Make the bad girl go away."
:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:22 am 
First Sergeant

Greta is named Time person of the year...

Quote:
Greta Thunberg, the Swedish schoolgirl who inspired a global movement to fight climate change, has been named Time magazine's Person of the Year for 2019.

The 16-year-old is the youngest person to be chosen by the magazine in a tradition that started in 1927.

Shortly before the announcement, she told a UN climate change summit in Madrid that the next decade would define the planet's future.

She urged world leaders to stop using "creative PR" to avoid real action.

Last year, the teenager started an environmental protest outside the Swedish parliament building, sparking a worldwide movement that became popular with the hashtag #FridaysForFuture.

Since then, she has become a strong voice against climate change and an internationally recognised figure and, earlier this year, was nominated as a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Announcing Time's decision on NBC, editor-in-chief Edward Felsenthal said: "She became the biggest voice on the biggest issue facing the planet this year, coming from essentially nowhere to lead a worldwide movement."

The magazine's tradition, which started as Man of the Year, recognises the person who "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year". Last year, it named killed and imprisoned journalists, calling them "The Guardians".

At the COP25 Climate Conference in Madrid, Greta Thunberg accused world powers of making constant attempts to find loopholes to avoid making substantial changes.

"The real danger is when politicians and CEOs are making it look like real action is happening when, in fact, almost nothing is being done apart from clever accounting and creative PR," she said, drawing applause.

Summits on climate change seemed "to have turned into some kind of opportunity for countries to negotiate loopholes and to avoid raising their ambition", she added.

The clock was ticking as the decade comes to a close, she said. "In just three weeks we will enter a new decade, a decade that will define our future. Right now, we are desperate for any sign of hope."

This was meant to be a big moment in the talks, the elixir of the "Greta effect" bringing new energy to a flagging process. The teenager is almost certainly the most famous person here, attracting far more attention than other celebrities like Al Gore, and the UN badly needs a boost.

Her talk came over as measured, grounded in the latest research, and avoided the flash of hurt and anger she displayed in New York in September. Looking around the hall, it was striking how many of the national delegations had not turned up for this morning session at the conference.

A snub by the big fossil fuel economies? Or maybe they were too busy in the negotiations themselves?

In any event, the passion among the millions of young people who have taken to the streets to demand action on climate change feels very remote from the diplomatic struggles in these halls.

The activist's speech came after Brazil's far-right President Jair Bolsonaro lashed out at her after she expressed concern about the killing of indigenous Brazilians in the Amazon.

"Greta said that the Indians died because they were defending the Amazon," Mr Bolsonaro told reporters.

"It's impressive that the press is giving space to a brat like that," he added, using the Portuguese word for brat "pirralha".

The activist responded by changing her Twitter bio to Pirralha.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50740324

Attachment:
1576069474041.jpg
1576069474041.jpg [ 106.5 KiB | Viewed 14 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:27 am 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 12564
Well you have to remember this is the same magazine that once named Adolf Hitler their person of the year as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next