maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

What's your opinion of a workers union?
Mostly Good 36%  36%  [ 9 ]
Mostly Bad 56%  56%  [ 14 ]
Neither in favour or against/Don't know. 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
What's a Union? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 25
 Post subject: Re: Unions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 937
mdiehl wrote:
Quote:
Compare this the 300+ times the upper management of the corporations are earning over the workers.

No argument from me about that. You won't hear me defend the bloated salaries paid to people whose sole qualification for appointment is that they knew the right people. The horrid thing is that those pay scales are tax deductible on business taxes. I'd limit the allowed expenses for compensation that can be written off at $250K.

That is what I expected. ;)

But another thing is that the union-mafia connection. It so hard to understand.

There were issues in Finland too. In the 1940's and 1950's there was competition between communist unions and social democrat lead unions. The former got financing from Moscow, the latter one from the CIA.

But then big part, or most likely majority of the commie unionists were patriotic Finns.

But then starting from the 1960's Finns could travel and see the wonders of the Workers Paradise in live. No propaganda can beat the information one can get with his own eyes. :lol:

And now Mafia is in the Kremlin.

It is a small world. :lol:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:18 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/12/22/ ... rkers-pay/

Quote:
Teamsters Union Takes All But $15 Of UPS Workers’ Pay

JAZZ SHAWPosted at 6:01 pm on December 22, 2018

While many workers around the country are fighting to get their dues money back from unions in the wake of Janus v AFSCME, some seasonal UPS workers in Boston are dealing with a very different problem this Christmas season. It seems that some employees who were hired to help with the holiday surge of shipping were informed that they would need to join the Teamsters to take part in these temporary jobs. Imagine their surprise when they finished putting in a lot of overtime during their first week on the job and opened up their paychecks, only to find that the union had taken all of their pay except for an amount that would barely buy two people dinner at McDonald’s. CBS Boston has the story of Sheila O’Malley, who found herself in exactly that position with little time left before Saint Nick arrived.

Sheila O’Malley of Charlestown couldn’t believe it when she opened her paycheck from her seasonal job at UPS. “I was shocked,” she told the I-Team. She worked 41 hours that week, many of them during the overnight, and ended up with just $14.52.

Sheila assumed it was a mistake and the money would be refunded. In part, because Sheila, like other thousands of other seasonal part time UPS workers, signed an agreement to pay the $500 Teamsters union initiation fee in $32.00 weekly installments. But UPS told her it wasn’t a mistake. A spokesperson for UPS told the I-Team, “Local 25 reversed this long standing practice by rescinding this policy.”

It wasn’t just Shelia. According to the CBS report, this happened to literally thousands of UPS workers. And it’s been going on for a while now, though not with this same result. In order to get these temporary jobs, the workers have to agree to join the Teamsters. And for the “privilege” of having a job and being able to earn a living over the holidays, they charge them a $500 “initiation fee.” That sounds like a pretty good name for it because this sort of punishment is reminiscent of pledging a fraternity, only the pain comes in the pocketbook rather than being thrashed with a paddle.

Previously, workers were able to have this ransom money taken out of their checks gradually, but this year the policy changed. The entire amount was taken out of their first check, essentially erasing their entire payday. When Shelia tearfully asked them to reconsider, her new union boss is quoted as telling her, “You’re a part of the union now and you won’t have to worry about that coming out of your check.”

“You’re a part of the union now.” That doesn’t sound too ominous, does it? If the guy had been wearing a Darth Vader mask he could have been talking about the Empire.

Welcome to union work in the 21st century. Shelia appears to have said it best when she told the reporters, “I thought they were supposed to protect our rights.”

For the record, the Teamsters reversed the new practice after this happened and will be going back to taking partial payments over a period of time. But nobody has offered to give back the lump sum they took from Shelia and the rest of the seasonal UPS employees this year.

It is a good thing that the union is there looking out for its members... :roll:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:34 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 6988
Yep, way back they did take it out gradually...…...then the Teamsters caught on that 95% of the seasonal workers were cut loose after the holidays and they never got their 500 bucks in full...….now they snatch the entire thing out. Wait until those workers come back NEXT year and get their first check and the Union snatches all the back dues they owed since they got their last paycheck.

Someone better tell them that they best go get a temporary withdraw card from their union local. Been a long time since I was a teamster, all the way back to 1994ish but back then the card still cost you 50 bucks to get...….bet is costs a 100 or more now.

They are not going to reverse the policy, that is empty promise horseshit. The holiday temp season is already over, same shit will happen next year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17805
In 1850, Unions were generally "good." Necessary probably. In 1900, probably still salutary in most respects but with increasing signs of corruption of the "workers unite! against Capitalist exploitation" ethos into a self-serving mob mentality. By 1950, I'd have to guess that in large part, the self-serving mob mentality had become deeply engrained in many of these organizations in the U.S.

By 2000 or 2010, based on my own experiences with a Massachusetts Teachers Union, as well as what I have learned about Unions in the U.S. in general: mostly bad.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21