maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's up with the House ?
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19875
nero wrote:
New development: US House panel holds attorney general in contempt over Mueller report.

And support from an unexpected source, Little Marco. :lol:

It is good that some people still have principles. ;)

Dood;

Do you realize he is talking about My People Holder? NOT an analogous situation. In that situation it was the DOJ covering up a program THEY HAD AUTHORIZED that resulted in the death of a US federal officer. He was also NOT talking about grand jury testimony (which is protected by statute) or legitimate national security redactions. That stonewalling had literally gone on for a year.

You don't have the SLIGHTEST idea of what you are talking about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:20 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 932
jack t ripper wrote:
nero wrote:
New development: US House panel holds attorney general in contempt over Mueller report.

And support from an unexpected source, Little Marco. :lol:

It is good that some people still have principles. ;)

Dood;

Do you realize he is talking about My People Holder? NOT an analogous situation. In that situation it was the DOJ covering up a program THEY HAD AUTHORIZED that resulted in the death of a US federal officer. He was also NOT talking about grand jury testimony (which is protected by statute) or legitimate national security redactions. That stonewalling had literally gone on for a year.

You don't have the SLIGHTEST idea of what you are talking about.

Dudeson, you don't get.

Listen what Little Marco says. The House the right to get the data it wants. No matter is a dem or gop government. And BTW so says your constitution. ;)

Checks and balances. But perhaps outdated during the rule of the God Emperor. :roll:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
[
Dudeson, you don't get.

Listen what Little Marco says. The House the right to get the data it wants. No matter is a dem or gop government. And BTW so says your constitution. ;)

Checks and balances. But perhaps outdated during the rule of the God Emperor. :roll:

The Constitution does not say a f****** thing about processes by with the Legislative Branch might compel the Executive to give up documents.

There IS a SCOTUS decision granting Congress subpoena power but it restricts that power to information needed to make legislation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:10 am 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
nero wrote:
[
Dudeson, you don't get.

The Constitution does not say a f****** thing about processes by with the Legislative Branch might compel the Executive to give up documents.

There IS a SCOTUS decision granting Congress subpoena power but it restricts that power to information needed to make legislation.

So you are saying that the House's subpoena power is not based on your constitution and hence unconstitutional. Or do you mean that the GOP majority house can subpoena anything a democratic administration is doing? :roll:

Funny that Little Marco seems to disagree. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16552
The way I look at it, if the house is fighting the "battle of trumpf" .. that is a good thing ... far less harmful than other things they could be doing ... if trumpf was fueling this battle on purpose, I would call it a great strategy !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
[
So you are saying that the House's subpoena power is not based on your constitution and hence unconstitutional. Or do you mean that the GOP majority house can subpoena anything a democratic administration is doing? :roll:

<facepalm> Look, amigo, there are innumerable details of the law and the rules of the Congress that are not explicitly defined in the Constitution. That doesn't make them "unconstitutional". Congressional subpoena power is NOT constitutionally defined. Congressional oversight of the Executive Branch IS.

Quote:
The Basics

The power of Congress to investigate and obtain information is very broad. While there is no express provision in the Constitution that addresses the investigative power, the Supreme Court has firmly established that such power is essential to the legislative function as to be implied from the general vesting of legislative powers in Congress.

How a particular committee decides to issue a subpoena is specific to each committee. Most committees of the House and Senate have included in their rules one or more provisions on committees’ and subcommittees’ power to authorize subpoenas by majority vote. Most House committee rules delegate to the committee chair the power to authorize subpoenas, and many of these rules require the chair to consult or notify the committee’s ranking minority member. Once authorized, a subpoena must be signed and delivered to the person named in it. Delivery of the subpoena to the person named in it means the person has been officially “served.”

The courts have long reaffirmed Congress’s constitutional authority to issue and enforce subpoenas. As the Congressional Research Service explained in 2017:

Excellent resource on Congressional investigative authority and Executive privilege

https://www.lawfareblog.com/congression ... n-branches

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
nero wrote:
[

<facepalm> Look, amigo, there are innumerable details of the law and the rules of the Congress that are not explicitly defined in the Constitution. That doesn't make them "unconstitutional". Congressional subpoena power is NOT constitutionally defined. Congressional oversight of the Executive Branch IS.

Quote:
The Basics

The power of Congress to investigate and obtain information is very broad. While there is no express provision in the Constitution that addresses the investigative power, the Supreme Court has firmly established that such power is essential to the legislative function as to be implied from the general vesting of legislative powers in Congress.

How a particular committee decides to issue a subpoena is specific to each committee. Most committees of the House and Senate have included in their rules one or more provisions on committees’ and subcommittees’ power to authorize subpoenas by majority vote. Most House committee rules delegate to the committee chair the power to authorize subpoenas, and many of these rules require the chair to consult or notify the committee’s ranking minority member. Once authorized, a subpoena must be signed and delivered to the person named in it. Delivery of the subpoena to the person named in it means the person has been officially “served.”

The courts have long reaffirmed Congress’s constitutional authority to issue and enforce subpoenas. As the Congressional Research Service explained in 2017:

Excellent resource on Congressional investigative authority and Executive privilege

https://www.lawfareblog.com/congression ... n-branches

So everything is A-OK as Little Marco said. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:08 am 
Sergeant Major

No, not really. Several House committees are engaged on fishing expeditions to get Trump. The tax return demands are transparently political. There is no plausible lawmaking purpose.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:20 am 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
No, not really. Several House committees are engaged on fishing expeditions to get Trump. The tax return demands are transparently political. There is no plausible lawmaking purpose.

Perhaps the democrats are planning a law that mandates presidential candidates to publish their tax data. ;)

That sounds legit enough.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:57 am 
Sergeant Major

Sadly, your explanation is actually BETTER than the one offered by the committee chairman.

He lamely offered that the purpose was to make sure Trump would "enforce existing tax laws"

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 43  Next