This Is MAGA Country

The rules: No spamming, no making a nuisance of yourself.

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

Re: This Is MAGA Country

#411 Post by chijohnaok » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 am

Smollett gone.jpg
Smollett gone.jpg (91.52 KiB) Viewed 429 times
Article is here:

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/06/05/ ... ya-jussie/

I found the following most interesting:
Later this week, the police will release 70 hours of surveillance videos and bodycam footage, thanks to the unsealing of the Smollett case. Daniels likely anticipates that the evidence collected by the police will make Smollett look even worse than ever and wants to get out ahead of that, regardless of what the cast thinks.
Smollett might want to go on a long vacation.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#412 Post by chijohnaok » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:47 pm

From Ace of Spades:
Jussie Smollett Had His Assistant Place the 911 Call About the Hoax

—Ace of Spades

I think he did this in order to create a defense against filing a false report. I think that's why he was uncooperative with police, and his "friend" (who turns out to be his assistant) did all/most of the talking with cops -- so he could later day, "I didn't file a false police report, my assistant did."

I don't think that has any legal validity as a defense -- using someone as your instrumentality should not block a prosecution, given that you directed the criminal actions to be done on your behalf-- but I don't think legal defenses matter when you've got Kim Foxx as your prosecutor and she'll twist the law to make sure you get off without so much as admitting what you did.

Recording of the 911 call at the link.
Article with 911 call:

https://dailycaller.com/2019/06/05/chic ... lett-call/
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Mac
First Sergeant

#413 Post by Mac » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:33 am

Police release bodycam footage of Smollett in his apartment with the noose around his neck...

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

jack t ripper
Sergeant Major

#414 Post by jack t ripper » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:09 am

What a pathetic, lying POS the guy it. I almost feel sorry for him...wait...wait...I'm over it.

The prosecutor is an activist George Soros plant (he paid for her campaign).
Strong supporter of global warming as I have invested in speculative vineyard properties around Nome

NefariousKoel
Hair in the soap

#415 Post by NefariousKoel » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:22 pm

jack t ripper wrote:
The prosecutor is an activist George Soros plant (he paid for her campaign).
There's a lot of that going around.

Emperor Palpatine has enough money to buy politicians and "NGO"s left & right, and does so often.

Didn't one of his numerous Globalista orgs help fund AOC and/or Ilhan Omar?

Mac
First Sergeant

#416 Post by Mac » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:41 pm

"How dare you catch me for lying".
CHICAGO (AP) — Jussie Smollett's attorneys have filed a motion arguing that the actor should not have to pay Chicago $130,000 for a police investigation into what he claimed was a racist and homophobic attack, because he couldn't have known how much time and money the department would spend looking into his allegations.

The motion, filed this week by the former actor in the television series "Empire," maintains that Smollett did not stage the attack as the Chicago Police Department alleges. But the motion also suggests that it wasn't necessary to spend 1,836 hours of police overtime and "untold hours of non-overtime police work" on the investigation after Smollett reported that he was a victim of an attack in downtown Chicago in January.

According to the motion, the "filing of a police report, in and of itself, does not necessitate a sprawling investigation nor does it, as a practical matter, usually result in an investigation as extensive as the one the CPD chose to undertake in this case." Smollett should not be forced to pay because he had no way of knowing if his report would trigger an investigation, it says.

"Does a police report cause an investigation?" William J. Quinlan, the attorney who filed the motion, asked The Associated Press. "My point is (that) filing a police report does not have a direct link or doesn't have a requirement or causal link to an investigation."

The motion also argues that the city's attorneys have failed "to identify any allegations that would plausibly show that Mr. Smollett, as opposed to officials at the CPD or the State's Attorney's office, caused the City to incur the alleged costs," even though the investigation stemmed from Smollett's complaint.

David Erickson, a former state appellate judge who teaches at Chicago Kent College of Law, scoffed at this argument, saying that suggesting Smollett's complaint might not have prompted an investigation was "silly."

"The judge is going to say, 'Are you kidding me?'" he said.

But if Smollett's attorneys suggested that the police department inflated the investigation costs, they could get a hearing, Erickson said.

The police department has said it only did what was necessary for a potential hate crime investigation because Smollett alleged that two masked men hurled racist and homophobic insults at him, beat him and looped a noose around his neck.

"Whether it's Chicago or any other U.S. city, when he reported a vicious hate crime, it was going to be investigated at the highest level of vigor and detail," said police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. The investigation included canvassing the area for witnesses, dozens of interviews, scientific analysis of the rope as well as the liquid that Smollett said the men threw at him, and the collection of hours of surveillance video from cameras mounted on buildings, inside taxi cabs and from cameras along miles of city streets.

The city's lawsuit against Smollett is just part of a larger legal battle over the alleged attack that includes: criminal charges against the actor by prosecutors who alleged he staged the attack to further his career; a stunning decision by the Cook County State's Attorney's office in March to dismiss those charges; and a judge's appointment last month of a special prosecutor to investigate that decision.

In the filing, Smollett's attorneys contend that the only reason the city filed suit to recoup the cost of the investigation was because former Mayor Rahm Emanuel disagreed with the decision of the state's attorney's office to dismiss the charges against Smollett.

"The city's claims and purported damages are a vindictive effort to prosecute charges that the State's Attorney pursued and then chose to drop," the filing reads. In an earlier filing, Smollett's attorneys characterized the city's lawsuit as a "perverse tactic" because the charges were dismissed.

Emanuel and Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson have made no secret about their anger that the charges were dropped, and after Smollett refused the city's demand for $130,000 the city sued in April for that money.

The police department maintains that there is overwhelming evidence that the actor staged the attack and paid his two "attackers" to carry it out. And the recent appointment of a special prosecutor to examine how State's Attorney Kim Foxx's office handled the case raised the possibility of the charges against Smollett being reinstated or of new charges being brought.

The attorney who filed the motion, William J. Quinlan, could not be reached for comment on Wednesday, and a spokesman for the city's law department said the office does not comment on pending litigation.

A federal judge hearing the city's lawsuit has said she will rule on the actor's request to toss the suit during a hearing on Oct. 22.

https://news.yahoo.com/smolletts-attorn ... P-ciDzo9fK
I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution
I could be an inmate in a long-term institution
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die
I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

jwilkerson
Sergeant Major

#417 Post by jwilkerson » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:26 pm

... he couldn't have known how much time and money the department would spend ...
You mean he didn't ask them for a quote !!?? Before acting !!?? :o
Ugum Bugum Uber Alles - Iddi Ut Amine Dada !!

jack t ripper
Sergeant Major

#418 Post by jack t ripper » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:37 pm

That is one of the dumbest legal arguments I ever heard. I don't think he hired the "Dream Team". Quite possibly somebody else is paying his legal "defense" costs.
Strong supporter of global warming as I have invested in speculative vineyard properties around Nome

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#419 Post by chijohnaok » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:42 pm

jack t ripper wrote:That is one of the dumbest legal arguments I ever heard. I don't think he hired the "Dream Team". Quite possibly somebody else is paying his legal "defense" costs.
He should have the best defense that money can buy.
Where are all the libs and Hollyweird people that came to his defense right after the 'hate crime attack'?
They should all be passing around the hat for the Smollett Hatecrime Incident Team.

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#420 Post by chijohnaok » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:48 am

Smollett lost this round:

https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2/20 ... s-lawsuit/
Judge Denies Jussie Smollett’s Motion To Dismiss Chicago’s Lawsuit

JOHN SEXTONPosted at 8:41 pm on October 22, 2019

Last month, Jussie Smollett’s attorneys sought to have a lawsuit filed against their client by the city of Chicago dismissed. The city is seeking $130,000 reimbursement for the cost of the investigation that concluded Smollett was not the victim of a hate crime but had staged a hoax. Smollett’s attorneys argued that even if that were true (which team-Smollett is still not admitting) he had no way to know that filing the report would result in such a massive and expensive investigation. In other words, ‘It’s not my fault you went crazy investigating my hate hoax.’ Today a judge disagreed with that argument and refused to dismiss the case:

In denying Smollett’s motion to dismiss, U.S. District Judge Virginia Kendall said that on its face, Smollett’s claim that the police went overboard in investigating his report didn’t hold up.

“The natural, ordinary and reasonable consequence of a police report like this one — a racist, homophobic physical assault in which masked attackers invoked the President of the United States’ official campaign slogan — is an intensive, sprawling investigation like the one that took place,” Kendall wrote in an 18-page opinion made public Tuesday.

She also pointed out that Chicago police took the allegations seriously in large part because of Smollett’s high profile “and the extreme nature of the accusations.”

“Most crime victims do not have the opportunity to discuss the crime on ‘Good Morning America’,” Kendall wrote.

Smollett’s attorney put a positive spin on the defeat:

William Quinlan, Smollett’s Chicago lawyer, said in an email to USA TODAY that the ruling means the case will be “decided on the facts and not the pleadings.” He said he was not surprised at the decision given that it’s a “very high bar” to get a case dismissed based on the pleadings.

“The pleadings are just the city’s side of the story. Now, Mr. Smollett will get to present his side of the case,” Quinlan said. “Mr. Smollett has always maintained his innocence and is eager to have the complete facts of the case come out. He looks forward to taking depositions and otherwise bringing to light many of the facts that have been overlooked in the court of public opinion to date.

“Mr. Smollett is confident that once the full story is available he will be vindicated.”

Um, okay. I think we’ve already seen the evidence at this point. No one believes Smollett was attacked after midnight in freezing Chicago weather by two white racists who nevertheless were such fans of the black soap opera Empire that they could recognize Smollett on the street, in the dark. But purely as a matter of entertainment value, I look forward to hearing his attorneys offer their best attempt to make sense of all of that.

As it stands now, the case could go to trial next year. This is a civil case so only Smollett’s money is at stake. However, a special prosecutor is still looking at State’s Attorney Kim Foxx’s decision to dismiss the 16 felonies Smollett was initially facing. If the special prosecutor decides the dismissal was improper (and there’s some evidence it was) criminal charges could be brought against Smollett.
“Mr. Smollett is confident that once the full story is available he will be vindicated.”
Ummm, yeah...good luck with that. :lol: