maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
 Post subject: Re: In Shift, Trump Orders U.S. Troops Out of Syria
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:04 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
wulfir wrote:
Started reading Tim Cooper's Moscow's Game of Poker: Russian Military Intervention in Syria, 2015-2017.

Cooper calls bullshit on the idea that Syria was a Soviet/Russian client state... :shock:

I'm not familiar with this Cooper guy but if he thinks that Syria was not a Soviet/Russian client state then he is an idiot.

Russia–Syria relations

Quote:
In 1971, under an agreement with President Hafez al-Assad, the Soviet Union was allowed to open its naval military base in Tartus,[4][5] a facility the former Soviet republic continues to use to this day. On 8 October 1980, Syria and the Soviet Union signed a Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation.[6] The treaty runs for twenty years and has automatic five-year extensions, unless one of the parties terminates the agreement. It provides for regular consultations on bilateral and multilateral issues of interest, coordination of responses in the event of a crisis, and military cooperation.[7] The treaty remains in force to this day.[8] In January 1992, the Syrian government recognized the Russian Federation as the legal successor to the Soviet Union.

Russia in 2011 and 2012 used its veto-power in the United Nations Security Council against resolutions promoted by Western and Arab countries, to prevent possible sanctions or military intervention against the Syrian government, and Russia continued supplying large amounts of arms that Syria's government had earlier contracted to buy and which were used to fight Western-backed rebels.[9] On 30 September 2015, Russia began a military intervention in the Syrian Civil War in support of the al-Assad government, consisting of air strikes against terrorist groups, e.g.: ISIS

There was also significant cooperation prior to 1971.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:27 am 
Sergeant Major

The Syrian army was built with Russian equipment, Russian organizational doctrine and even Russian tactical methods (like the "coil position" for laagered armored units).

Syrian Air Force was 100% Russian equipment. When Syria and Egypt were on the ropes at the end of the 1973 war, the Soviets mobilized a couple of airborne divisions and lined up the planes on the ground so the US could photograph them. It was a blatant threat to intervene. Kissinger and Nixon got the memo and threatened the IDF with a total cessation of aid unless they stopped their advance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:24 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6294
Ok, I made a typo - it's Tom Cooper, not Tim Cooper.

Cooper claims that idea of a decades long Syrian-Soviet/Russian "friendship" is BS.

Syria is to have bought weapons from the then USSR back in the day because the West denied them. The Syrians are to have preferred to buy Czechoslovak instead of Russian because of poor Russian quality.

Russia warned about a possible Israeli offensive in 1967 that got the Egyptians to mobilize and kicked-off the six days war, Syria lost the Golan and were pissed about that. Frosty relations with Moscow followed.

Daddy Assad was an anti-Communist and his security service had thousands of leftist Syrians "disappeared".

There was a temporary peak in relations when Syria was allowed to buy weapons to try and take back the Golan. In 1975 the USSR is to have put a weapons embargo on Syria because of political differences.

A few years later a large number of Soviet advisors (about 7000) early 1980s are sent to try and prop up the Syrian armed forces which is to have led to a coup by elements of the armed forces and an uprising in Hama (1982). Crushed by pro-Assad forces, 20 000 dead.

More shipments of Soviet weapons tanked the Syrian economy, and the Syrians stopped paying. 1988 the Soviet advisors were withdrawn. Took 20 years before the relations between Damascus and Moscow were repaired. Putin decided to write off 73% of the Syrian debts in hope of securing new arms deals and construction jobs for Russia. Damascus mostly said no, bought some old aircraft from Belorussia. Cancelled all major construction deals with Russian companies.

Early on when shit hit the fan i Russia, Putin claimed "there was not special relation" between the two countries....

Russia tried to obstruct in the UN but the major Russian support for Assad came after the Western reaction to the Russian occupation of Crimea took place..., not even in 2015 are the Russians to have figured Assad's Syria to be "friendly, or a reliable partner to Russia"...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
chijohnaok wrote:
wulfir wrote:
Started reading Tim Cooper's Moscow's Game of Poker: Russian Military Intervention in Syria, 2015-2017.

Cooper calls bullshit on the idea that Syria was a Soviet/Russian client state... :shock:

I'm not familiar with this Cooper guy but if he thinks that Syria was not a Soviet/Russian client state then he is an idiot.

Russia–Syria relations.

Syria "not" a Soviet Client state until recently!? You've got to be fucking kidding me. That is the most moronic, contra-factual claim since Flat Earth!

Jeebus, just when I imagine you could not get any more moronic!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

Those are just 'lovers spats".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:30 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6294
jack t ripper wrote:
Those are just 'lovers spats".

I wonder if in Russia, on VK.com, there's a crazy Russian called mdeihlov typing away:

Syria bailed on the USSR/Russia at various points in history and has been utterly valueless as a strategic partner since 19xy. Phuck Assad. He can go eat a Sunni turd and drop dead, AFAIC.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24