maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: In Shift, Trump Orders U.S. Troops Out of Syria
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:11 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13603
Quote:
In Shift, Trump Orders U.S. Troops Out of Syria
Move throws campaign against Islamic State into question; pullout sparks concerns from the White House to the State Department to the Pentagon
U.S. officials began informing partners in northeastern Syria of their plans to begin immediately pulling American forces out of the region.
U.S. officials began informing partners in northeastern Syria of their plans to begin immediately pulling American forces out of the region. Photo: Hussein Malla/Associated Press
370 Comments
By Dion Nissenbaum,
Nancy A. Youssef and Vivian Salama
Updated Dec. 19, 2018 6:57 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON—President Trump ordered a rapid withdrawal of all U.S. military forces from Syria, officials said Wednesday, marking an abrupt shift of the U.S.’s posture in the Middle East.

The U.S. immediately began moving a handful of personnel from Syria and will quickly extract about 2,000 forces over the next few weeks, officials said, ending a four-year military campaign against Islamic State on the brink of its defeat.

“The Pentagon has an order to move troops out of Syria as quickly as possible,” a U.S. official said.

The decision recasts U.S. policy in the Middle East, where the Trump administration has been working to defeat Islamic State, contain Iran’s expansionist ambitions and counter Russia’s influence in Syria, where Moscow has a vital Navy base. The planned exit also worried the U.S.’s Kurdish partners, who risk losing vital backing just when Turkey is threatening to attack them.

The U.S. has long said it would remain in Syria until Islamic State was defeated and local forces could prevent a new rise of extremist forces, and to press Iran to withdraw its forces from the country. While those objectives haven't been met, Mr. Trump declared an end to the fight against Islamic State, or ISIS, in a tweet on Wednesday.

“We have defeated ISIS in Syria, my only reason for being there during the Trump Presidency,” he wrote on Twitter after The Wall Street Journal reported on the plans.

(Continued)
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-milita ... 1545225641
Am happy to see a get in and get out decision, but only after the job is done ... is the job ever done when Islam is involved? Before the revolt started in Syria my impression was Assad was attempting to improve the lot in country, then ISIS started it's insurrection, followed by moderates wanting Democracy. IMO Assad may be the best alternative, a secular dictator is the only way to control Muslims, give them the vote and they vote in Islamist, look a Egypt, dethroned Mubarak and the people voted in the Muslim Brotherhood.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: In Shift, Trump Orders U.S. Troops Out of Syria
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:20 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
abradley wrote:
Quote:
In Shift, Trump Orders U.S. Troops Out of Syria
Move throws campaign against Islamic State into question; pullout sparks concerns from the White House to the State Department to the Pentagon
U.S. officials began informing partners in northeastern Syria of their plans to begin immediately pulling American forces out of the region.
U.S. officials began informing partners in northeastern Syria of their plans to begin immediately pulling American forces out of the region. Photo: Hussein Malla/Associated Press
370 Comments
By Dion Nissenbaum,
Nancy A. Youssef and Vivian Salama
Updated Dec. 19, 2018 6:57 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON—President Trump ordered a rapid withdrawal of all U.S. military forces from Syria, officials said Wednesday, marking an abrupt shift of the U.S.’s posture in the Middle East.

The U.S. immediately began moving a handful of personnel from Syria and will quickly extract about 2,000 forces over the next few weeks, officials said, ending a four-year military campaign against Islamic State on the brink of its defeat.

“The Pentagon has an order to move troops out of Syria as quickly as possible,” a U.S. official said.

The decision recasts U.S. policy in the Middle East, where the Trump administration has been working to defeat Islamic State, contain Iran’s expansionist ambitions and counter Russia’s influence in Syria, where Moscow has a vital Navy base. The planned exit also worried the U.S.’s Kurdish partners, who risk losing vital backing just when Turkey is threatening to attack them.

The U.S. has long said it would remain in Syria until Islamic State was defeated and local forces could prevent a new rise of extremist forces, and to press Iran to withdraw its forces from the country. While those objectives haven't been met, Mr. Trump declared an end to the fight against Islamic State, or ISIS, in a tweet on Wednesday.

“We have defeated ISIS in Syria, my only reason for being there during the Trump Presidency,” he wrote on Twitter after The Wall Street Journal reported on the plans.

(Continued)
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-milita ... 1545225641
Am happy to see a get in and get out decision, but only after the job is done ... is the job ever done when Islam is involved? Before the revolt started in Syria my impression was Assad was attempting to improve the lot in country, then ISIS started it's insurrection, followed by moderates wanting Democracy. IMO Assad may be the best alternative, a secular dictator is the only way to control Muslims, give them the vote and they vote in Islamist, look a Egypt, dethroned Mubarak and the people voted in the Muslim Brotherhood.

Quote:
then ISIS started it's insurrection, followed by moderates wanting Democracy.

I'm not certain of that timeline.
I don't recall if ISIS is the one that started the insurrection.
I think if might have been another group or groups.
But ISIS was certainly one of the most successful (at least for the shorter term) in the rebellion---successfully setting up its own rump state.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:23 pm 
Sergeant Major

A snippet from Ace of Spades on the situation:

Quote:
Putting troops in harm's way in order to "maintain influence" is a neocon/liberal interventionist idea whose time has gone. This is why McCain wanted our troops in very nearly literally every brushfire war in the world -- because we had to "maintain influence."

That's stupid. US troops lives should not be little weights one places on an influence scale.

Our troops should be introduced into combat to fulfill military objectives, not to serve as chips in diplomacy baccarat.

You cannot send men to be killed or have their balls blown off for such intangible, vague, stupid paper-pusher concepts as "maintain influence." They should only be put at risk for definite, well-defined goals.

I agree with the above.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

Syria is now officially a shithole country. I don't really care if Iran has troops there and our 2000 troops in Syria are not stopping Iran from having troops in Syria anyway. Both Iran and Russia are the main engines in killing Sunni radicals, which corresponds with US interests. I think the Kurds and Shia militias can prevent a resurgence of ISIS which now has no organized government and no income.

Notice how when Trump withdraws from the Iran nuclear deal he is a dangerous warmonger but when he orders US troops withdrawals he is irresponsible because Iran is going to take over the world

Well, whcih is it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:33 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13603
chijohnaok wrote:
I'm not certain of that timeline.
I don't recall if ISIS is the one that started the insurrection.
I think if might have been another group or groups.
But ISIS was certainly one of the most successful (at least for the shorter term) in the rebellion---successfully setting up its own rump state.
I agree, it was the time of the 'Arab Spring' :roll: and the world was proclaiming the democratization of Islam and instead we got Islamist.

Not sure who was first in Syria, but who ever won of the two ultimately the Islamist would control. Assad was and is the only hope, a secular dictator.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:37 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
Real shame we didn't steamroller the Commies when we had the 'chance.' Ah well, that was probably a fantasy at the time anyway . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:52 am 
Sergeant Major

Short of an exchange of ICBM's the Russians are no immediate threat to the US mainland. This is not true for the Baltics and Ukraine of course, but that is their problem.

The easiest way to keep the Russkis in check is economically. Every time we frack out another barrel of oil they lose. The Iranians are being kept in check with proxies and economic sanctions which are definitely working

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:57 am 
Sergeant Major

Hussein was literally OWNED by both Putin (after the CW red line fiasco) AND by the mullahs with his idiotic nuke deal and the pallets of cash....and the guy won a Nobel Prize.

Meanwhile Trump arms the Ukranians with modern ATGM's, sanctions the living shit out of the "oligarchs" and is accused of being a Russian puppet and he sanction-nukes the Iranian economy to the brink of revolution and the world moans.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:40 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6294
jack t ripper wrote:
...and the guy won a Nobel Prize.

Didn't Obama win the Peace Prize moslty for not being Bush?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:46 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6294
jack t ripper wrote:
Meanwhile Trump arms the Ukranians with modern ATGM's, sanctions the living shit out of the "oligarchs" and is accused of being a Russian puppet...

Come on now Ripper - obviously that is all just smoke screens.

Now and then Putin needs his puppet to deliver on what is really important and he just ordered Trump out of Syria. Everyone knows it in the anti-Trump camp... :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next