maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's up with the Senate ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
The problem is getting rid of the Senate requires the consent of the Senate. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17177
Well, yes, but as I said, the commons got rid of the lords by convincing the lords to get rid of themselves ... so it might not be impossible ... but commons had an angle that the house doesn't have in our case. So, another angle will be needed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

'Cuz there might be a hurricane at Lindsey Graham's house !!! :lol:

Quote:
... A favorite question that the anti-gun crowd likes to ask is "Why does anyone need an AR-15?" Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) has a very practical answer to that, which he offered to reporters on Friday.

The New York Post:

Sen. Lindsey Graham knocked down the idea of banning semi-automatic weapons nearly identical to those used by soldiers on the off chance a hurricane slams into his South Carolina town.
“Here’s a scenario that I think is real: There’s a hurricane, a natural disaster, no power, no cops, no anything,” the Republican lawmaker told reporters aboard Air Force One.

A reporter asked if he meant looters.

“Yeah, people, they’re not going to come to the AR-15 home,” Graham responded. “Well, I think if you show up on the porch with an AR-15, they’ll probably go down the street.”

That's a very sound point. No matter where you live, you can come up with a legitimate argument for owning an AR-15 for self-defense. Of course, no one ever wants to be in a situation where they have to, but the peace of mind is a gift.

Although he can occasionally be a firebrand, Graham is still a United States senator and was flying with the president on Air Force One when asked about this. He remained very decorous and didn't offer the answer that a regular, law-abiding gun owner might.

I sleep with a loaded Beretta on my nightstand and was once asked why.

"Because I (expletive deleted) want to."

That's really the only answer anyone needs in response to being asked why he or she is doing something perfectly legal that isn't harming anyone else.

My dad (may he rest in peace) had a more polite, but still intentionally obnoxious, response when someone once asked him why he slept with a gun next to his bed:

"Where do you keep yours?"

Have I ever had to use a gun for self-defense? Thankfully, no. And I hope I never have to.

I am not, however, obligated to explain to anyone why I would prefer not to be killed.

Anti-gun liberals pretend they're most concerned about the AR-15, but that's a mere distraction. They need a starting point for throwing the Constitution down a slippery slope.

For example, another favorite phrase of theirs in the current "debate" is "military-style weapons."

Let's set aside the fact that the phrase can be applied to military weapons that aren't firearms too ("Is that a knife you're carrying, sir?") and focus just on the wording and what their endgame is with only guns.

Sidearms are military weapons too. The phrase "military-style weapons" then immediately becomes a catchall for going after pistols as well.

That wording, by the way, evolved as a vaguer -- and therefore more ultimately dangerous -- component of their argument against the AR-15.

They can pretend all they want that it's only about the AR-15, but we've known for years that it is about all of the guns. For most of those years, we have been told that we're paranoid.

Well, we're not.

If anyone asks me in the near future why I need an AR-15 I have a new answer for them:

"There might be a hurricane at Lindsey Graham's house."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Now we're getting somewhere ...

Senators send a WARNING to SCOTUS ... see the last paragraph of this "brief" ...

https://www.whitehouse.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/New%20York%20Rifle%20&%20Pistol%20Association%20v.%20New%20York%20(Whitehouse%20amicus%20FINAL).pdf

Quote:
... The Supreme Court is not well. And the people
know it. Perhaps the Court can heal itself before the
public demands it be “restructured in order to reduce
the influence of politics.” Particularly on the urgent
issue of gun control, a nation desperately needs it to
heal ...

In essence ... "vote our way or we will destroy you" ...

I think that clears the air quite well !!!

:D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:35 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 19776
jwilkerson wrote:
Now we're getting somewhere ...

Senators send a WARNING to SCOTUS ... see the last paragraph of this "brief" ...

https://www.whitehouse.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/New%20York%20Rifle%20&%20Pistol%20Association%20v.%20New%20York%20(Whitehouse%20amicus%20FINAL).pdf

Quote:
... The Supreme Court is not well. And the people
know it. Perhaps the Court can heal itself before the
public demands it be “restructured in order to reduce
the influence of politics.” Particularly on the urgent
issue of gun control, a nation desperately needs it to
heal ...

In essence ... "vote our way or we will destroy you" ...

I think that clears the air quite well !!!

:D

Even some of those idiot Dems in congress are pushing for an uncivil war.

What do they expect to happen if they start trying to tear down Constitutional rights, our Checks & Balances? It's obvious who is "not well" and they're blatantly attempting to tear up the country for their own power grab. Nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

I just wrote to both Kansas Senators and made them aware that several of their fellow Senators decided to officially threaten the SCOTUS unless the court voted as desired by those senators. I asked both Kansas Senators to take appropriate action to protect the Constitution. I think I've written to them 4 times total now ... 2 times in the prior 8 years ... and 2 times in the past 2 weeks. Oh my.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 682
jwilkerson wrote:
I just wrote to both Kansas Senators and made them aware that several of their fellow Senators decided to officially threaten the SCOTUS unless the court voted as desired by those senators. I asked both Kansas Senators to take appropriate action to protect the Constitution. I think I've written to them 4 times total now ... 2 times in the prior 8 years ... and 2 times in the past 2 weeks. Oh my.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Letter writing works if the same sentiment is expressed by many voters. That is the entire point of representative democracy.

The staff reads them and keeps some kind of tally and might even pass on the most persuasive to the Senator.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:57 am 
Sergeant Major

Well, to me it is interesting that a fairly simple path to blowing up SCOTUS does exist. And it is similar in structure to the path the Brits used to blow up with House of Lords. Add enough like thinking members to the body to be able to get them to vote your way. Now in the event, the Lord's believed the threat to be credible and decided to blow themselves up. But SCOTUS can't do that. Congress can. And it doesn't take a Constitutional amendment. A simple majority vote could add as many members as desired. But then you also need a like thinking resident to appoint like thinking justices. So, given a majority in both houses and a like thinking resident, the deed can be done. And while that would only temporarily push the court over to one side, the damage will have been done. The idea that it is ok for congress to reset the court to their way of thinking, would be set in precedent. Then every time either party has the pre-requisites in place, they add more justices ASAP to get the court set for their agenda. The idea of an independent SCOTUS would be dead.

Already de muc rats have shown the idea that external parties can threaten a court with action against that court, in order to get that court to decide cases in line with the thinking of the threateners has been demonstrated. The filing of the brief is not a comment in a back alley, off the record ... or even one person speaking on tee vee ... it is a legal document ... making a threat against the court if the court does not decide in a manner the brief writers think proper. Goes against the whole idea of the purpose of a judge. Unacceptable. Yet, the glove has been removed and the step taken.

In the past, either "side" had an equal chance in the game of appointing justices. Sometimes you got lucky and got more ... sometimes not ... but it was an equal chance and there are a chance you could not change the balance. With the new ... "let's add however many it takes now" ... idea ... there is no downside ... it just happens ... well no downside unless the people object.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:08 am 
Sergeant Major

Forget about SCOTUS. The IXth District Court has done more to thwart Trump than SCOTUS has done to upset the last 5 Dem Prezzies.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next