maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: What's up with the Senate ?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17177
I searched but couldn't find a general thread covering the doings of the US Senate ... so here we go ... I find this very interesting ... at the same time we see the senate "melting down" ... we also see more bipartisanship than I recall since just after 9/11 !!??

Quote:
Step back from the Kavanaugh cacophony. Examine what lawmakers from both parties in both chambers accomplished in September and early October, with virtually zero fanfare.

Amid the turmoil, Congress approved the first revamp of national aviation policy in years. The Senate approved the final version of the legislation 93-6. This came after a staggering six extensions due to bickering and disagreement.

Then, Congress approved a sweeping, bipartisan measure to combat opioid abuse. The House okayed the package 393-8. The Senate adopted the measure 98-1.

And, there was no government shutdown. The House and Senate came to terms on two bipartisan bills which funded five of the 12 annual spending bills which operate the government. The sides agreed to latch an additional measure to one of the spending plans to fund the remaining seven areas of federal spending through December 7. President Trump briefly threatened to force a government shutdown if lawmakers didn’t include money for his border wall in the plan. But the President ultimately punted that battle until December. Democrats praised Republicans for keeping conservative “poison pill” riders out of the appropriations bills. That decision drew Democratic support for the measures.

The Senate approved a bipartisan water and infrastructure package.

McConnell hailed the bipartisanship which descended upon the Senate – even as the senators fought over Kavanaugh. Nearly in the same breath, McConnell derided boisterous, anti-Kavanaugh protesters outside the Capitol as a “mob.”

McConnell insisted this week he needed the Senate to clear a slate of 15 conservative judges to lower courts before he could cut senators loose for the midterm elections. McConnell and Schumer appeared at loggerheads. McConnell’s goal was clear: extract the confirmation of these nominees – or tether to Washington vulnerable Democratic senators from battleground states to keep them off the campaign trail.

Schumer knew McConnell would ultimately prevail on the nominees after the midterms. So the New York Democrat accepted McConnell’s ransom, permitting the Senate vote on a slate of nominees on Thursday night. Schumer also extracted a concession from McConnell: send senators home until November 13th.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/amid-kavanaugh-cacophony-congress-forges-bipartisan-agreements-on-key-issues

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What's up with the Senate ?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
We'll know in a little over 3 weeks whether McConnell is still the Majority Leader in the Senate or if Schumer will be a candidate for that role.

IF the Senate flips to the Dems, and they come right out of the gate intending to impeach Trump, Kavanaugh or whoever else then I have a feeling that getting next year's legislation and the business of the Senate done is going to be a challenge.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:00 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17177
So where do we stand on the count ? I checked several web sites, none of them have a current count of muc rats versus goppers ... I'm guessing it is 51 to 47 for the goppers with two races left to go, MS and FL. If true, then worst case, we're back to where we started at 51-49. Best case we're at 53-47. I guess these numbers are not "news" since no one seems to be showing them. And for instance, I checked WAPO and Real Clear ... no up to date numbers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:34 am 
Sergeant Major

I think the attempted theft in Florida will fail and it will be 53-47 plus Manchin in West Va who has shown he will vote with the Republicans on judicial matters. Too bad about Arizona and Montana and even New Jersey...very close.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:20 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 13603
The Arizona senate seat isn't too bad, it's just a two year term until it's up for grabs again.

We'd best get our shit together for 2020, no more games with recounts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:37 am 
Sergeant Major

abradley wrote:
The Arizona senate seat isn't too bad, it's just a two year term until it's up for grabs again.

We'd best get our shit together for 2020, no more games with recounts.

You have that backwards my friend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... zona,_2018

Quote:
The 2018 United States Senate election in Arizona took place on November 6, 2018, to elect a member of the United States Senate to represent the State of Arizona and replace Senator Jeff Flake, who did not run for re-election. It was held concurrently with other elections to the United States Senate, elections to the United States House of Representatives, and various state and local elections.

The McSally/Kyrsten Sinema race is the normally scheduled race (every 6 yrs) for the position/term that Jeff Flake held. Flake decided not to run for re-election. Barring any resignation, death or impeachment, Sinema will be in this position for at least the 6 years of this term.

John Kyl was appointed by the Arizona governor to the vacancy created by the death of John McCain:
Quote:
In September 2018, Kyl was appointed by Governor Doug Ducey to serve in the Senate seat left vacant by the death of John McCain.[10][9] At a press conference accepting the appointment, Kyl announced that he may only serve until the end of the 115th United States Congress, which ends on January 3, 2019, but that he would definitely not run for the remainder of the term following the 2020 special election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Kyl

There will be a special election in 2020:
Quote:
United States Senate special election in Arizona, 2020
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The United States Senate special election in Arizona, 2020 will be held on November 3, 2020. Following the death of Republican U.S. Senator John McCain on August 25, 2018, Governor Doug Ducey was required to appoint a Republican[1] to fill the vacancy in McCain's Senate seat.[2] In September 2018, Ducey appointed former U.S. Senator Jon Kyl to fill McCain's seat until after the Special Election of November 2020. This will determine who serves the remainder of the term until January 2023. Kyl has announced that he does not intend to run to complete the term.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... zona,_2020

McSally could of course run for the Senate position in the 2020 special election.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:44 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17151
Sinema is a better choice than McSally.

Honestly I don't like either Sinema or McSally very much. Both a couple of unapologetic Statists. But I'd rather spend US tax dollars on national health care than on more more war war. So Sinema is the better choice, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:53 am 
Sergeant Major

The people of Arizona have spoken.

Only time will tell whether Sinema was a good choice or not.

(As clarification, by "people" I was not singling out MDiehl specifically)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:02 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17151
No worries. It was a near thing. 30k margin of victory for Sinema. Democratic party operatives had already started a hate campaign against the Green Party candidate in the event McSally won. I view Sinema as a short term solution.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:09 am 
Sergeant Major

mdiehl wrote:
No worries. It was a near thing. 30k margin of victory for Sinema. Democratic party operatives had already started a hate campaign against the Green Party candidate in the event McSally won. I view Sinema as a short term solution.

My bold emphasis above.
That is no surprise at all......I just posted about how the Democratic Party seems to be the party of hate.

Their 2018 election platform was more about the things they were against (Trump, Kavanaugh) and less about things that they supported (except for their support about impeaching everyone).

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next