maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eubanana has a brain tumer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:44 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17050
Jeez. You guys really don't have to. I've still got 3/4 of wulfirs massive pile, it's crazy around here, a lounge full of goodies. And that's just the people I know from the interwebs, let alone everybody else!

If I don't fall off the peg in good order I'll be mortified now after all this, imagine if I'm still loitering around like a bad smell in five years after being so buried under largesse, I'd feel like a scoundrel.

As for visits, that sounds like crazy talk. Long way to go for a pub crawl...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:46 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6135
One of the tricks is recognizing when to open the door.... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQNmu1Q9NzA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:36 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
Repped, good stuff.

Why can't I come up with stuff like that?

Jezz

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16336
Thought EUB might enjoy heaing the Queen's English warped into its traditional forms . . .

Pampering can take many forms . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
Thought EUB might enjoy heaing the Queen's English warped into its traditional forms . . .

Pampering can take many forms . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
I don't how that guy kept all that straight. Sounds like ancient Norse or something.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
Sounds like ancient Norse or something.

That probably makes perfect sense...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
The German language, while today seems very structured, and you generally do not find any silent letters---all letters in a word are pronounced. And today's German language is structured into "High German" (largely as a result of the translation of the Bible from Latin to his region's form of German), but German used to be very regionalized, and its format changed over time.

I can also look at the dialect of German (Siebenburger Sachsich) that my parents speak....you will often find people using different words for the same thing or different pronunciations for the same word---even when their villages might only be 10 or 20 miles apart.

I have found a number of poems and songs on You Tube in earlier forms of German.

Here is a good example of that:

From the YT description:
Quote:
The Palästinalied ("Palestine Song", also known as Kreuzlied "Song of the Cross") is a song written in the early 13th century by Walther von der Vogelweide, the most celebrated lyric poet of Middle High German literature. It is one of the few songs by Walther for which a melody has survived.

I tried to translate it as good as possible, but it was sometimes hard to translate those old medieval meanings and the version of this song is sometimes a bit different from the lyrics on Wikipedia. I hope you´ll still enjoy it!

The first line is Middle High German, the second modern German and on the bottom the English translation as always.

Here is another good example:

Both these videos have subtitles, in their original form of German, in today's standard German, and in English.

It is interesting (at least it is to me) to listen to these, trying to pick up the words that are still similar enough to standard German to be understandable.

You can also find similar examples of the English language.

I think that a number of You Tubers have done videos of the works of Chaucer and Shakespeare in their original spoken forms.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:34 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228

EU discussing religion :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
EUBanana wrote:
As for visits, that sounds like crazy talk. Long way to go for a pub crawl...

:lol:

Talk about long ways, last year I walked 795 km in 31 days, my Camino de Santioago in Spain. Must be more than hundred tabernas and bars visited.

Few years I walked the Spey Way Walk, the Whisky Walk in Scotland. Five days uphill from Buckie to Aviemore. Too many pubs to remember, and 55 whisky distilleries en route. Though visited distilleries, but many pubs.

Previously I was hiking in Czech Republic and Czechoslovakia, all together 17 times. Nice walks, nice topology, and good beer.

The principle always being that one drinks what one has earned. The healthy thirst comes from walking a long distance.

My kind of pub crawl.

PS. I would bring something you missed when not going to Finland, and visit England the last time before the brexit. As for the weather, my principle has been "It may be February, it is always August under my arm". And I'd use Camra's good beer guide as my lodestar.
PPS. I am not a black rider, Nazgûl, seeking the ring.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next