maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Danish Submarine Mystery
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:33 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
A Swedish journalist, Kim Wall, takes a trip on Danish inventor, Peter Madsen's self-built submarine the UC3 Nautilus. After her boyfriend reported her as missing when she failed to return from what should have been a short trip, Madsen claimed that he had dropped her off safely near Copenhagen, but then later did a u-turn and said she died in an accident and that he had "buried" her at sea. The submarine sinks (the police believe it was scuttled) and Madsen rescued. Now the mutilated torso of a woman has been found in waters off the Danish coast...

Quote:

Swedish journalist Kim Wall, 30, disappeared during the night of 10 August.

She was last seen on the submarine of Danish inventor Peter Madsen, who has been charged with negligent manslaughter.

Police have for some time believed she was dead, and have said they think Mr Madsen deliberately sank his own sub before being rescued.

The inventor told police and closed-door court hearings that he threw her body into the sea after she died in an accident on board his submarine. Ten days after her disappearance was reported, a torso was found by a passing cyclist.
What do we know about Kim Wall's disappearance?

A highly respected freelance journalist, Ms Wall was researching a feature about Peter Madsen, an inventor who built his private 40-tonne submarine, UC3 Nautilus, through crowdfunding in 2008. She has written for the New York Times, Guardian, Vice and the South China Morning Post.

We know that they met at around 19:00 on Thursday 10 August at Refshaleoen, a harbour area in Copenhagen. She boarded the Nautilus as shown in the picture above and was reported missing by her boyfriend at 02:30 on Friday. The last picture of the pair in the sub's conning tower was taken at 20:30 by a man on a cruise ship, a short time before sunset.

The sub was not equipped with satellite tracking so after the alarm was raised in the early hours of Friday, rescue services searched for the vessel for hours.

It was not until 10:30 on 11 August that the first sighting was confirmed from a lighthouse in the Oresund.

However, a merchant ship has since reported coming within 30m of the unlit sub to the north-west of the Oresund bridge at about midnight on 10 August. Police say at that point the submarine crossed the channel from Denmark towards Sweden in the southern part of the Oresund.
What happened to Kim Wall?

What really happened to the Swedish journalist is either unknown or has been kept under wraps by Danish authorities.

Until 21 August, the closed-door nature of court hearings meant little information could be revealed. But after a request from both the defence and prosecution, we now know a little of what Peter Madsen has said.

According to his account, an accident occurred on board, Kim Wall died, and he "buried" her at sea somewhere in Koge Bay, about 50km (30 miles) south of Copenhagen. The nature of the alleged accident, and other details, remain undisclosed.

Hours after these details emerged, a woman's torso was found on the shore of Klydesoen, a short distance from Koge Bay. "When I say torso, it's a body without head, arms and legs," said Copenhagen police chief Jens Moller Jensen.

DNA tests are being conducted to find out if the remains belong to Ms Wall.

Mr Madsen's lawyer, Betina Hald Engmark, says her client has not confessed to anything and is still pleading not guilty. She says he gave evidence to the police during preliminary questioning and "information from this" has now emerged.

Has Peter Madsen's story changed?

Initially the inventor said he dropped Kim Wall off after dark at about 22:30 at the Halvandet restaurant, on the northern tip of Refshaleoen, close to where they had met earlier.

Restaurant owner Bo Petersen said the area was well covered by CCTV and he handed the video footage to police.

We do not know what was on the video but police said Peter Madsen gave them a new account of events. That account was not made public at the time.

Why did the submarine sink?

Within minutes of contact being established with Peter Madsen on the morning of 11 August, the submarine sank in Koge Bay. Copenhagen police said on 14 August that their forensic work on the sub confirmed "that the sinking of the submarine was allegedly a consequence of a deliberate act".

The inventor, well known in Denmark for his submarine and rocket activities, was soon brought ashore and interviewed by Danish reporters. The story was not yet a homicide inquiry.
What we still don't know

The big question remains what really happened to Kim Wall. Did she die in an accident? Or was she killed?

Danish and Swedish maritime authorities say they have determined the route the submarine travelled in Koge Bay and the Oresund strait before sinking.

Copenhagen police have urged people who have travelled with Peter Madsen before to explain what happened on their trips.

Although the sub was brought to the surface, sea water is likely to have damaged any DNA evidence left on board. Police said they had secured "a substantial amount of electronics".
Why is the case behind closed doors?

This is not uncommon in Denmark.

It means that Peter Madsen's own lawyer is not allowed to give her client's story, other than to say he is innocent.

The charge of negligent manslaughter is seen as an initial step that will keep the defendant in custody until early September. It can later be changed or withdrawn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40922750

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A Danish Submarine Mystery
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 682
Was Kim Wall an Alt-Right person?

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18812
Truth, most definitely stranger than fiction.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:41 pm 
First Sergeant

nero wrote:

She wrote for the New York TImes so I am guessing not.

Also, I have no idea where you are going with that. :?

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 682
Mac wrote:
nero wrote:

Well, just curious. If there is the normal angle.

Anyway a mysterious case. Or a FUBAR case.

We will see, this is not the Palme murder.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:30 pm 
Sergeant Major

nero wrote:
Mac wrote:
quote="nero"]Was Kim Wall an Alt-Right person?[/quote

Well, just curious. If there is the normal angle.

Anyway a mysterious case. Or a FUBAR case.

We will see, this is not the Palme murder.

Right, it's the "normal angle" to suspect that Swedish journalists who die under mysterious circumstances were Nazi Klansmen. :roll:

She studied international relations at the London School of Economics & Political Science in the UK, graduating with a Bachelor's degree. She continued with graduate studies in journalism and international affairs at Columbia University in the USA.[2]

I suppose that there are a lot of alt-right who graduate from the London School of Economics & Political Science and from Columbia University in New York City

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Ummm...an attractive woman and a presumably nerdy inventor..she sufferes an accident aboard the boat and her arms and legs and head fall off so he throws her body overboard and then the sub happens to sink.

Ummmm...I don't think so. Probably he tried to show her his torpedo and she objected.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:03 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 10246
I'm all for the presumption of innocence but when someone admits to disposing of the body & conveniently scuttles the crime scene I'm going to presume the worst. 1st degree murder. Life in prison.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:15 pm 
First Sergeant

CatLover7 wrote:
I'm all for the presumption of innocence but when someone admits to disposing of the body & conveniently scuttles the crime scene I'm going to presume the worst. 1st degree murder. Life in prison.

Danish prison cells are real hell holes...

That will learn him.

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 19776
That's a prison cell? WTF?