Open all night
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The United States (USA) vs The World
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:40 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
Anthropoid wrote:
We already won. American culture is EVERYWHERE (even now, deeply "infested" into "traditional" European societies! :twisted: ), permeates even China and Russia, every nook and cranny of the world is smeared with it, if not chock full of it. :P You've got semi-literate herdsman in southern Sudan who would like to meet Kanye and wear Chicago Bulls T-shirts . . . you've got old grannies in remote Bangladesh who are great fans of Oprah . . . no matter where you go America is already there and has been for decades.

No point in fighting, war is already over ;)
Really, what if they want the formula for Coca Cola and we refuse?

So the world against America is on.

Simple.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
When I was in Botswana doing my fieldwork in 1999, I was interviewing this Tswana guy. His English was only slightly better than my Setswana, but between the two of us being marginally proficient we were able to carry on a conversation. This guy was one of the more "modernized" of the men in the village; he had lived in Gaborone for a few years in his late teens and had finished a cabinet making trade school/course. However, his efforts to make it in town had not worked out, so he had to move back out to Lephehe and return to being a herd man.

It was late evening and he had come by my hut and was drinking something with me (probably tea). The moon was full and it was remarkably beautiful out in the desert with the bright moonlight. I forget what we were talking about exactly but somehow we got onto the subject of the moon, and I realized he didn't really know anything about it. I explained it was a distant planet that orbited the Earth and he had the most puzzled look. I then explained that the dark areas were large craters where objects had impacted long ago. The next question he asked me was what really blew my mind he said "Have you been there?"

I chuckled and turned to him starting to say "No you smart ass, I haven't been ther . . . " then I realized, he was asking in total seriousness. His notion of reality was so sketchy and incomplete, he actually thought that perhaps I had, in my life time been to the moon; and why not! Here I was an American come to his village for a year to do some strange research project, a fairly far-fetched and alien tale of its own. As far as this guy knew, back in the U.S. everyone lived a life that was perfectly reflected in the episodes of Dallas and Santa Barbara on the worn out VHS tapes the Chief owned.

Persons like him reflect a fairly extreme case, but not an unusual one at all. Even educated, "well-informed" people tend to have fairly fabled notions of the U.S. whether salubrious or fearful.The fact that we are simultaneously, heavily armed (both military and public) and enjoy some of the most broad and thoroughgoing personal freedoms must be a source of a wide range of cognitive dissonance for many of the most educated around the world.

We are famous, a point which Trump totally gets. All we gotta do is play the part and the winning shall proceed on course! :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:42 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17300
abradley wrote:
IIRC, we used to think that if 'If we hit them with a nuke, they'll hit us with two nukes, then we'll hit them with 3 nukes and on and on ... sort of a MAD situation. Who wants to start it ?

No winner.

Besides this is just a face off with non nuclear force, IMO interesting.

The Air Forces are used through out, infantry? Why use them when you can defeat your opposition without 'em.

Rather like MacArthur's "Hit 'em where they ain't"

Is it realistic, no. Interesting, IMO, yes.

That *only* works against one country and even Russia only has ~2,000 *working* nuclear warheads or so. Sure, they statistically count stuff made in the 50's towards their stocks but really, made by Soviet standards and even then facing neglect for decades and well past the "use by date". Shit's corroded, the fissile materials will have deteriorated etc. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if they had managed to keep it a secret that some warehouse somewhere caved in as there was a meltdown of fissile material.

There's no plausible scenario, say, where a Carrier Strike Group would be devastated by enemy attack that didn't result in nuclear retaliation.

There's no "always get hit twice as hard". Russia is the only country in the world that can even remotely respond to a nuclear attack in such a devastating way as to give pause.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:18 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
That is an interesting graphic Kamel, not questioning its "accuracy" (which needs to be put in quotes because, end of the day, all of this stuff is "classified" so actual precise numbers are never going to be available to anyone short of the Commander in Chief or high level military authorities), but I'm guessing it only reflects a certain time frame, i.e., not the sum total during the entire history of the arms race. Presumably the counts are warheads (not delivery vehicles)? Assuming that, the "destroyed" numbers look very small and must only reflect dismantled items from a limited range of recent years? Maybe that is total destroyed in the last 10 years?

At the peak, the numbers (of warheads) were in the ~30 to 40k ballpark (with most estimates placing Soviets higher). However, maybe those numbers in your graphic reflect delivery vehicles?

Apparently even at the peak in the mid 1980s there were only about that many

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_a ... y_Vehicles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historica ... by_country

But yeah, your point is well-taken: Only one who has ever posed a serious threat to U.S. nuclear ability is Soviet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:04 pm 
buck private

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:49 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17300
Anthropoid wrote:
That is an interesting graphic Kamel, not questioning its "accuracy" (which needs to be put in quotes because, end of the day, all of this stuff is "classified" so actual precise numbers are never going to be available to anyone short of the Commander in Chief or high level military authorities), but I'm guessing it only reflects a certain time frame, i.e., not the sum total during the entire history of the arms race. Presumably the counts are warheads (not delivery vehicles)? Assuming that, the "destroyed" numbers look very small and must only reflect dismantled items from a limited range of recent years? Maybe that is total destroyed in the last 10 years?

At the peak, the numbers (of warheads) were in the ~30 to 40k ballpark (with most estimates placing Soviets higher). However, maybe those numbers in your graphic reflect delivery vehicles?

Apparently even at the peak in the mid 1980s there were only about that many

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_a ... y_Vehicles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historica ... by_country

But yeah, your point is well-taken: Only one who has ever posed a serious threat to U.S. nuclear ability is Soviet.

Yes, "deployed" means it's in a sub, at an air base ready to be loaded into a B-2 in x minutes or so, at the top of a rocket in a silo somewhere etc.

The second number is essentially "we'll need to open the crate, dust it and it will be available in x hours".

As for old Soviet and US stockpiles, it wasn't dumb to discard warheads that have their age counted in decades. Even when built well certain warhead types don't last long in a storage as they will slowly break apart. Others can last longer but eventually they will go well past their shelf date. At that point it makes more sense to build a new warhead so it actually goes boom if it's not intercepted on the way.

A deterrent only works if the opponent cautiously assumes that the bombs will go off, not stay off.

If not fighting Russia, USA will survive anything the rest of the world can throw at it. It would suck for the coastal cities etc. but a huge portion of the infrastructure and most of the populace would survive. If the enemy can only launch, say, 30 rockets at you and you intercept, say, 20 and the rest are on subs and aircraft, well, even more are going to be intercepted and they will have a hard time hitting the interior if they don't immediately focus instead to just focus on trying to take out far flung bases and assets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15552
IMO the USA needs to make sure we reprocess the older warheads. Also, I'd like to see some advances in warhead efficiency. Only a small proportion of a warhead fissions. The rest gets blown to powder and is a major source of fallout. I'd also like the US to upgrade the missile force with stealthier warheads, shorter flight times, and faster launch cycles.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 720
Without nukes.

No nonsense, no bragging. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:47 am 
buck private

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:34 am 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 10460
You really don't have to sink an aircraft carrier to render it combat ineffective. Destroy the flight deck or slow her down enough where she can't launch aircraft and she ain't worth much.

Profile E-mail