maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Second home questions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:05 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
C_S wrote:
Quote:
What do you Florida guys think about Florida.

Forgotten Coast?

SW Florida?

Where are areas where you can't get hurricane insurance?

You'll get the most bang for your buck in west Cape Coral, FL. Gulf access, mansions sprouting, property available, so quiet you can hear crickets chirping at night, supermart 5 mins drive. Doctor, I'd have my ppl look into it. From Sarasota to Marco Island, Cape is a sweet place to live for the value.

Isn't that the canal area?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 am 
Sergeant Major

Gump wrote:
If you’re hooked on tarpon or redfish I guess the gulf coast makes some sense. But you’re not going to find solitude or a survivable climate. I’ve spent some time on the redneck riviera. If I chose the most memorable spot I’d suggest St. George Island FL.

https://www.google.com/search?q=st+geor ... 20&bih=454

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4-S6Ki5U8

Appalachicola area is still very affordable.

Wow..that is seriously nice!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:13 am 
Sergeant Major

Gump wrote:
If you’re hooked on tarpon or redfish I guess the gulf coast makes some sense. But you’re not going to find solitude or a survivable climate. I’ve spent some time on the redneck riviera. If I chose the most memorable spot I’d suggest St. George Island FL.

https://www.google.com/search?q=st+geor ... 20&bih=454

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4-S6Ki5U8

Appalachicola area is still very affordable.

Man, that is nice. Have you fished there? Anything like that with private boat slips in Newport Beach would be $10M

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:16 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
Apalachicola is nice. Tallahassee ain't bad either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:24 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6010
If I was going to do it I'd think about something like this on Dog Island... boat in only.... a bit of a fixer upper... but much more solitude than in the tourist areas... Even comes with a 4WD and a boat.... almost an acre of ocean front... for $200k...

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/f ... _zm/0_mmm/

I've fished in the bay with a guide... for redfish and trout... Hoping to go back next year with my own boat and do some serious camping and exploring.

this is pretty cool... you can tour all over the island with google...

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7993674 ... 6656?hl=en

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18382
Another good thing about living in The Cape, doctor, is then you'd be my neighbor. Invite me to dinner and I'll bring the chron-chron.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Gump wrote:
If I was going to do it I'd think about something like this on Dog Island... boat in only.... a bit of a fixer upper... but much more solitude than in the tourist areas... Even comes with a 4WD and a boat.... almost an acre of ocean front... for $200k...

NYT story from 1987

[quote]A Florida Shore Where Solitude Rules
By MELVIN MENCHER

The New York Times Archives
The advertisement is inviting but vague - ''Escape to the island that time forgot - a pristine barrier island off the northwest coast of Florida.'' The only clue to the island's whereabouts is the name of a town, Carabelle, which the map shows is on the coast, west of the big bend on the Gulf of Mexico.

A telephone call reveals some details. However, the name of the island and its short distance from the mainland hardly evoke escape and solitude - Dog Island, three and a half miles from Carabelle, 50 miles southwest of Tallahassee. And yet the trip over is by passenger ferry - no cars are hauled -and the visitor must buy everything in Carabelle but water for the stay on the island. There are no stores, no restaurants, nothing to buy. No telephone either.

Dog Island is indeed secluded and everyone on the island wants to keep it that way. The advertisement, which was placed by the only accommodation there, the Pelican Inn, cannot give the name or location of the island because the inn's deed prohibits it from doing so. The inn fits in nicely with the island's quietude. It has only eight small apartments.

The island is ideal for those who want to shell, swim, take photographs of unobstructed sunrises and sunsets, hike to tidal marshes and freshwater ponds, walk along clean white beaches, seek out birds (200 species during the year) and study plants (391 species of native and naturalized plants). Most of the seven-mile-long island, 1,100 acres of its 1,800 acres, is in the Jeff Lewis Wilderness Preserve. About 100 cottages -in use during the summer - dot the gulf and St. George Sound (known as the bay) side in the central part of the island. The east and west ends are undeveloped. The permanent community consists of three retired couples and two or three other people.

The few visitors have their favorite seasons. Bird watchers like spring and fall for the migrations. Those who want solitude prefer the winter. During a recent visit, hikes to the east and west ends were made without encountering anyone on the beach or along the tidal marshes. On the walk to the west end, a reddish egret, tricolor heron and great egret were seen fishing at low tide within a few feet of each other. The path passed a pond where sparrows, blackbirds and towhee were spotted. Along the beach at the west end, the stumps seen in the water were the tap roots of trees that were once part of a forest. And the foundation of a lighthouse that once stood here is now investigated by scuba divers 125 yards offshore.

Continue reading the main story
Advertisement

Continue reading the main story

The island, which was formed some 6,000 years ago from sediments transported by the Apalachicola River system, changes shape with the alternating periods of erosion and sand deposition. Now, the sand is moving from the center to the west and east ends.

On a trip to the east end, which begins with a ride in the Pelican Inn's van to the end of the single-lane sand road, the various habitats, plants and trees can be seen - and a bit of the island's history. Along what is called the Jeep Trail are slash pines with horizontal cuts in their trunks. The cuts were made by turpentiners, men who gathered the resin from the trees for turpentine. From 1915 to 1930 the owner used the island for this purpose. The resin dripped into pans at the base of the tree and were dipped out regularly. Some of the pans still lie alongside the trees. The island has three types of plants - marine, terrestrial and palustrine, plants that grow in the slough depressions of nontidal wetlands. The black mangrove on the island is the northernmost occurrence of the plant. Two species of orchid, the snowy and the ladies' tresses, can be found, and the 15 species of fern include the netted, southern, clubmoss, cinnamon, Virginia chain climbing and marsh fern. The beach dunes are characterized by sea oats, rosemary and oak scrub. In one section, the dunes reach 50 feet in height.

Birds are everywhere. Many are permanent residents - heron, egrets, terns and a variety of shore birds like the snowy plover and black-bellied plover, ruddy turnstone, marbled godwit and the ever-present willet. Among the wintering birds are six kinds of sparrows and four kinds of wrens. The Carolina wren is a year-round resident. For the spring migration, birders visit Dog Island from the end of February through early April; the fall migration is from September through November.

Shells are also abundant, from the half-inch butterfly in a delicate yellow shade to the 16-inch lightning whelk that one visitor lugged to the inn in one hand while carrying an assortment of smaller shells in a bag in the other. There are augers and arks, including the fragile stiff pin shell; heart cockles of all sizes; nutmegs, figs and olives; the Florida fighting conch; moon and slipper shells and the apple murex and banded tulip shell; the jingle shell that is used for wind chimes and the Florida worm shell, which is actually a snail. Daniel Tonsmeire, who manages the inn, recommends shelling on the bay side where the waves are gentle and do not batter shells. The many birds in the tidal areas leave behind fresh shells. After a day's birding, shelling, hiking or swimming, a half hour's fishing can supply dinner. The inn has rods and reels for dockside fishing and surf-casting, and Mr. Tonsmeire will demonstrate net-casting for those who want to try mullet. One evening at dusk, three casts of the net brought up a dozen mullet.

Dog Island is the smallest and easternmost of a chain of three islands that form the offshore barrier system for the Apalachicola River Estuary and St. George Sound, extraordinarily rich fishing waters from which oysters, shrimp and food fish are taken. One of the delights in staying on Dog Island is buying fresh shrimp in Carabelle at $4 or $5 a pound before leaving and eating it on the beach, or pulling stone crab from the pots the inn puts out and boiling them for dinner.

The island and its two neighbors were discovered by the French in 1536 and named the Dog Islands, because 1) wild dogs were found on them; 2) the islands resemble a crouched dog, or 3) the early ships put their common sailors - known as dogs - on the islands before docking on the mainland so they could not jump ship. Later, the two neighbors were renamed: St. Vincent, which is a Federal wildlife refuge, and St. George, which has a causeway and is, naturally, a booming resort community.

Indians used Dog Island as a fishing camp, and the 1985 hurricanes uncovered pot shards found on the west end. After World War II, Jeff Lewis, a Florida businessman, saw its potential as a vacation area and paid $12,000 for the island.

About 100 lots were sold, mostly to people from Florida and Georgia, but the winter weather, 10 to 15 degrees colder than areas to the south, did not attract the Northerners and Midwesterners who have clogged the coasts of southern Florida. By the late 1970's, Mr. Lewis wanted to sell, and most of the undeveloped area was purchased by the Nature Conservancy for $2 million. Recently, the conservancy sold all but 30 acres of its interest to the Cuyahoga Trust Company of Akron, Ohio, a nonprofit organization that has worked with the conservancy to maintain what David E. Morine, the conservancy's vice president for land acquisition, describes as the island's ''delicate balance between man and nature.'' The trust retained the right to develop 40 lots over an eight-year period, but has turned back two lots to the preserve, reassuring islanders of the trust's commitment. According to Mr. Morine, the trust has no intention of commercially developing its holdings.

Everyone in the area is conscious of the fragility of the island's ecosystem. People haul garbage to a large trailer, which is removed from the island periodically by a rented landing craft. Cleanup drives, by groups and individuals, keep the island clear of the usual rubbish. But residents have been stumped by one of man's major waste products - the abandoned car. Cars are carried over by residents on the landing craft and left the year round. Most are dilapidated and eventually gasp their last. One plan - to dump them in the bay for a reef for the fish -had to be given up because of the expense involved in stripping the vehicles of polluting batteries and other material. The present idea is to haul them out, gradually, as is, to a junkyard. That's expensive, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

C_S wrote:
Another good thing about living in The Cape, doctor, is then you'd be my neighbor. Invite me to dinner and I'll bring the chron-chron.

Yes! We can send you over to Target to get some....ummm....Acapulco Gold

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:28 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6010
It’s pretty unique. There aren’t that many opportunities like it left in this world. If I had the means that would be what to look for imo.

But there’s lots of other conventional choices around that bay.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:26 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15961
Hey! Georgia has its sweet coastal jewels too!

My favorite beach retreat:

Discovered it, pretty much by accident while driving around down there with my ex-wife about 24 years ago.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next