maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another Execution or good police work ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
The guy had a 50-60 yd head start. How does a 25 year old let a guy in body armor and heavy shoes catch up to him? He probably had to hold his pants up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Based on that video alone, the shooting does look questionable.

That said, the video is (likely) not the only evidence to be considered (forensics, other eyewitness testimony, etc)

As the mayor said in the video (paraphrasing) 'a thorough investigation needs to be completed' and as others in this thread have indicated, there are others who will look into this (police review board, coroner, public/district attorney, jury, and potentially other state and federal agencies) and make a more final decision.

In the meantime, speculation by those (family, media, peanut gallery, etc) who have not seen all the facts and investigations into this is premature.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:11 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7652
chijohnaok wrote:

That said, the video is (likely) not the only evidence to be considered (forensics, other eyewitness testimony, etc)

As the mayor said in the video (paraphrasing) 'a thorough investigation needs to be completed' and as others in this thread have indicated, there are others who will look into this (police review board, coroner, public/district attorney, jury, and potentially other state and federal agencies) and make a more final decision.

In the meantime, speculation by those (family, media, peanut gallery, etc) who have not seen all the facts and investigations into this is premature.

I agree, however, in this case the video is pretty damning.

What I don't like is gump calling this an execution as if that was the natural states of affairs here in the US.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
Nor is his comparison with the Michael Brown case valid. Brown was a criminal shot in the criminal act of committing a rather violent felony assault, shortly after Brown had committed a different violent felony assault on a shopkeeper. Everything about THAT policeman's action was legit.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Michael Brown was a "giant" but he wasn't "gentle". He committed more felonies in 5 minutes than your average small city in a month.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that there would be fewer cases like this if there were two patrolmen per car?

vs

Quote:
...and reducing response time and covering half the area?

That is what it comes down to...available resources.

In major cities (like Chicago and New York City), police officers usually ride 2 to a car.
There are more units that can respond to emergency calls, reducing travel time to those calls.

In suburbs and especially rural areas, the distances can be much farther.
If you only have X number of officers to cover an entire county then doubling up 2 officers to a car will reduce the number of cars that can respond, therefore lengthening the response times.

There are some counties in the United States that are 10-20 times larger than entire states:

Largest counties (each between 10,000-20,000 square miles in size):
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/lar ... -area.html

Rhode Island (which is about 1,214 square miles)

If that county has a low population, that will generally also mean that it has fewer resources to spend on public services.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Lava wrote:
chijohnaok wrote:

I agree, however, in this case the video is pretty damning.

Correct, the video (alone) is damning.

As I have said before in these kinds of cases, we should wait until the investigations have been completed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:30 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7652
Unless the guy is running away from a murder scene, I have a hard time imagining why it would be necessary for a policemen to shoot a man who posses no threat to him.

Having said that, I have always stated that one should hold judgement until all the facts are known, and this applies in this case as well.

But it does't look good.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:11 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5019
The question is one of standard police tactics and mindset.... not whether you think the guy "deserved it"...... how about this one. What's wrong with this picture ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIUOO8I4OgM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13427
Quote:
... In major cities (like Chicago ...

In major combat zones like chicago ... "police" should move in armored convoys ... this provides sufficient firepower to take out squads of bad guys quickly while providing armored protection for the "officers" ... and mobility, so they can get where they are going ... presumably to pick up the bodies from the earlier shootings ... air support in the form of drones and/or chopper gun ships should be provided when requested and available.

Profile E-mail