maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Life is better than 50 years ago... or not...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:36 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4670
Quote:
Fifty years ago, the world was a very different place. The United States and its allies were locked in a Cold War with the Soviet Union, personal computers and mobile phones were the stuff of science fiction, and much of the world’s population had yet to experience substantial improvements in life expectancy and material well-being.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/12/05/worldwide-people-divided-on-whether-life-today-is-better-than-in-the-past/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Life is better than 50 years ago... or not...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:52 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15300
Technological advance - some of which has led to productivity gains which we're all enjoying - is the only true progress we've made. We'll just have to hope it keeps on going and leads us to the glorious sci fi future. In the meantime not having to shit in an outhouse is a good thing.

So materially things are good.

Socially, and in the realms of governance, things are dire.

Most of the damage was done post 2000 though, so I wouldn't go back 50 years necessarily.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:58 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
Globalism has massively harmed most Americans. Between that and the open embrace of outright bigotry, hatred, and fascism by the American left, things are definitely worse than, for example, 1977. I can't say for 1968. I was five at the time and my parents were civil rights supporters that, among other things, brought us to black cookouts in Syracuse in 1968 to keep the police mellow. Probably for middle class black people, the USA is "better" than it was in 1968. For the lower class blacks, the policy of both Dems and Reps of importing massese of uneducated, unskilled labor, probably fucked over three generations of black men born into poverty.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:54 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Not quite so groovy in Venezuela it would appear...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:57 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 9960
I would say with some confidence that the differences between the two political parties are a bit worse than they were in 1968. Sure that year was full of protests, especially after the deaths of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King but the rhetoric from today's left is much more extreme than it was back then. I don't remember anyone posting pictures of them holding Nixon's severed head nor any Democrats advocating neutering Republicans or any of the other of multitude of things they advocate doing to Republicans these days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
4% of Vietnamese thought it was better in 1968 :lol: Who did they ask, General Giap?

Hungarians thought is was BETTER under Russian occupation. :shock:

It looks like South and Central America are going backwards. Ditto many African countries.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

I can understand nostalgia in the US and France but longing for the old cannot be the explanation in Nigeria.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:12 pm 
Staff Sergeant

jack t ripper wrote:
... Nigeria.

IIRC Nigeria has a shitty poverty stricken Muslim north, and a southern part doing somewhat better...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

wulfir wrote:
jack t ripper wrote:
... Nigeria.

IIRC Nigeria has a shitty poverty stricken Muslim north, and a southern part doing somewhat better...

Yes, I imagine Boko Haram is not helping things.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14720
Is life better now than it was? A complex question and many arguments can be made which might tip the balance one way or the other and indeed, a thoughtful commentator would certainly find it difficult to come to a firm conclusion.

However, I believe there are factors in our midst, or at least well within our powers of observation which can tip the balance and help us to arrive firmly at the conclusion that: YES! Life IS better now!

You can all make these observations for yourself, though I must warn you, this will lead you into so-called "Not Suitable for Work Territory," so make sure you are not viewing the link below either with your 87 year old devout Bapist Auntie Petunia or your stick up their ass boss or whomever might be offended by nice tits and ass:

NSFW!
She Likes Showing Off Her Butt; Says it is "My Best Feature"
NSFW!

Admittedly not the MOST impressive post you will find on that particular sub-reddit, but knowing how morally strict some of you are, I didn't want to push the envelope too far so felt that a more "tame" ice breaker link was best suited to make the point. But there you go: reddit/gonewild! Browse and tell me that Life is not BETTER now that at any time before such a marvel of the female-exhibitionist/voyeur social dynamic came into sustainable existence! Imagine the petabytes worth of data this repository of female human nekkidness will accumulate over the decades to come . . .

I rest my case.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next