maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kavanaugh Supreme Court nominee
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Anthropoid wrote:
LOL, fucking idiots. If they literally think that saying something like "abolish the Senate" should be taken seriously, they probably should be under psychiatric supervision!

That is effectively a call for a civil war.

They guy who sent the tweet out is a not your average run of the mill dolt:

https://www.gv.com/team/ken-norton/

Quote:
Ken Norton
Product Partner

Ken is a partner at GV where he leads investing operations and provides product and engineering support to startups. Prior to joining GV, Ken was a group product manager at Google. In his years as a PM at Google, Ken led product initiatives for Docs, Calendar, and Google Mobile Maps.

Ken joined Google in 2006 with the acquisition of JotSpot, where he was vice president of products. Before JotSpot, Ken led product management at Yahoo Search. Back in the day when he was a software engineer, he was one of the first 50 employees of CNET and the founding CTO of Snap (which became NBC Internet).

Ken has written extensively about the craft of product management. His classic essay “How to Hire a Product Manager” became the playbook for a generation of PMs. He’s also the reason donuts and product management have become synonymous. He earned his bachelor’s from Boston University and master’s from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

@kennethn linkedin kennorton.com

Quote:
He earned his bachelor’s from Boston University and master’s from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

It's my understanding that both Boston U and RPI and fairly presitigious schools (then again, Ocasio-Cortez also graduated from Boston U and much of what she says is simply idiotic)

But for advocating for the abolishment of the Senate I guess he really is a dolt. :lol:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
"Abolish the Senate" :lol: :lol:

The Senate would have to vote on the Constitutional amendment to abolish ITSELF. :lol: :lol: That is worse than selling Frigidaires to Eskimos.

I'm guessing that he didn't think that one through very far.

Maybe he was drunk?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Sweet Baby Jesus! That guy literally controls BILLIONS of dollars and the lives of thousands with his business decisions. My 401-K probably has tens of thousands of dollars in Google stock. The guy is an IDIOT. If he were on a gardening team he would be the guy with the rake because you couldn't rust him with the mower or leaf blower.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:27 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
Quote:
Memory
https://chicagoboyz.net/archives/58219.html
Posted by Assistant Village Idiot on October 9th, 2018 (All posts by Assistant Village Idiot)

This attracted quite a bit of controversy over at my own site. I’d like to start fresh here. In another spot the point was raised that Christine Blasey Ford should know about the research in cognitive science about the unreliability of memory and been more cautious. I was not surprised in the least, because it is psychologists who are the leaders in believing that memories can be “organised,” “associated,” and even “recovered” in therapy. It is a field in which the left hand usually does not know what the right hand, or the ears, or the chin, or the shinbone is doing.

There is some discussion of the notion of credibility in the comment section at AVI, if you are interested in that subcategory.

The reliability of memory came up a lot recently, and it is worth noting that we do not remember past events anywhere near as well as we think we do. Even flashbulb memories, which we feel very certain about, deteriorate and even change over time. If this puts you in mind of Dr. Ford’s testimony, remember that forgetting could apply equally to Justice Kavanaugh. I am noted for exceptional memory of past events, and am in my element at reunions, where people are gratified that I remember that they took a third on balance beam in 1969, or played the flute in 1963. Yet I have found many places where I was certainly wrong, because some photograph or document shows up that contradicts my memory. People of long memory are more likely to go to reunions, I would guess, and I also think I was likely to befriend those who had some similarity of mind. I thus have a store of memories rendered uncertain, because in comparing notes with these people, we don’t entirely agree. Sometimes I will realize in a flash that Ted Kontos’s or Gary Hicks’s memory of our first night at Manville dormitory includes an important detail I had entirely forgotten, and theirs is the better account. Other times I remain convinced the other person has it wrong, and is conflating two events.

There will be a terrible irony about all this going forward in the Kavanaugh confirmation controversy. This will be an event which people will claim to remember and will hold those memories as important parts of their political story in the future. Yet we are already getting it wrong, each of us laying down the memory according to our previously held beliefs, and this will get worse. Things that we read as theories about Ford’s motivations we will regard as something that someone somewhere proved. Ambiguous statements which Kavanaugh explained will come to be regarded as things he avoided answering. People who thought Ford’s delivery was calculated will believe it was all an act. People who thought Kavanaugh’s verbal defense of himself was partisan will remember it as louder and angrier than it was, and will ascribe to him statements he didn’t make.

It has already happened to me. I had associated Senator Murkowski’s statement with Senator Collins’ statement on the basis of a few sentences of each and was disparaging of the latter. A friend corrected me that I had misjudged Collins badly, and when I went back to look at it, that was abundantly so. I had associated them in mind before. I therefore assumed they would have similar takes. I had already started remembering that they had similar takes, even though this is not so.
Interesting comments.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:35 pm 
buck private

And while your at it you might read this:
Quote:
Revisionist History

Posted by Assistant Village Idiot on October 9th, 2018 (All posts by Assistant Village Idiot)

I have neglected you over here, part of that being because of eye surgery. I had a macular hole, and after having it stitched up had to be face down for a week. I won’t be able to see out of that eye for 3-5 more weeks, but I plug along.

This is the main post about Gladwell’s series, but I had related posts Malcolm Gladwell Gets It Right and Gladwell Addition

Mr. Gladwell has a series of 30+ podcasts entitled “Revisionist History.” I’ve listened to about half of them and they are fun and somewhat informative, a welcome distraction for someone who has to be face-down listening to podcasts for most of a week. He brings to light some interesting research.

Unfortunately, he overclaims beyond what his research can support, and he does this repeatedly. One comes away believing explanations for historical events not much better than the conventional wisdom.

Imagine a plain typewritten document – a company report, a term paper, text-rich. Now in your mind pick up a red marker and draw a line with an arrow at the end from lower-left to upper right. Write NO!! over it and circle a single word at the end of the arrow point. This is Gladwell’s style. He then goes into detail about that word, showing how it is the key to understanding the entire topic, but we, popular culture, have neglected or buried this information and don’t know the Real Story.

He does it well, not only in the framing of the new story but in his tone of voice and the evidence he brings to bear. It is a common technique, familiar to people who read history and science for fun – stories of how we nearly lost WWII but for a single letter delivered by a single Dutchman in 1943; uncredited tinkerers who were the real inventors of the microscope or theory of vitamins; powerful and popular figures of a century ago whose pet corruptions led to the problems we have today. If-only History. Loads of fun, even when not done very well. There is enough truth in these tales to make us reflect on the precariousness of all we hold dear, or resent the tragedies that needn’t have happened. Ah, if only Bogdan Zerajic had succeeded in assassinating the Bosnian governor in 1910, WWI need never have happened, eh? Yet they are also purely linear histories, which assume everything would have gone the same after.

Gladwell reports that immigration from Mexico was largely(85%) circular until the early 70’s when a USMC commandant took over an inefficient INS and started enforcing the law.
(Continued)
https://chicagoboyz.net/archives/58216.html
Links in the original.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:15 pm 
buck private

Speaking of memory, two posts above, I've a classic case of long/short term memory swap?

It's about the novel 'The Handmaid's Tale ', I remember it coming up in a discussion about woman's lib back in the early '70s, it wasn't published until 1985!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

So....
Diane Feinstein is upset because Trump didn't nominate any of her preferred choices to the federal judiciary.

<snicker>

After the shit that she pulled with the Kavanaugh nomination, what did she expect?

What does she have against the San Diego federal prosecutor Trump nominated....who could become the court’s first openly gay judge?

Quote:
The White House said Patrick Bumatay is a member of the Tom Homann LGBT Law Association, which describes itself as an organization where gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender lawyers in San Diego “network, build friendships and develop their careers.” …

Mr. BUMatay doesn't meet with her approval?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:27 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 10460
I'm sure Trump could nominate Jesus Christ himself and Feinstein would protest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

chijohnaok wrote:
So....

What does she have against the San Diego federal prosecutor Trump nominated....who could become the court’s first openly gay judge?

Quote:
The White House said Patrick Bumatay is a member of the Tom Homann LGBT Law Association, which describes itself as an organization where gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender lawyers in San Diego “network, build friendships and develop their careers.” …

Mr. BUMatay doesn't meet with her approval?

Gay judge named Bum-Matey :lol: :lol:

That's a made up name like Bigus Dickus

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

Who is his courtroom security guy, "Ranger Rump"? :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 99  Next