Open all night
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bye bye Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
nero wrote:
Just logical development; first dismantle EPA, then get rid of all unnecessary regulations like the Clean Air Act.

MAGA

I think you are mistaking "logic" with uterine cramps. That is pure hysteria.

The EPA should NEVER have been weaponized by Obungler to achieve his US emasculation wet dream.

The American negotiators at Paris were anti-capitalist ideologues who feel some inexplicable guilt for the success of the US. The Congress NEVER had a say. Similarly, no EPA hack should have the power to tell Americans how much CO2 they produce. You want to lower the standard of living you had bloody well get the Congress to go along.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1834
jack t ripper wrote:
nero wrote:
Just logical development; first dismantle EPA, then get rid of all unnecessary regulations like the Clean Air Act.

MAGA

I think you are mistaking "logic" with uterine cramps. That is pure hysteria.

The EPA should NEVER have been weaponized by Obungler to achieve his US emasculation wet dream.

The American negotiators at Paris were anti-capitalist ideologues who feel some inexplicable guilt for the success of the US. The Congress NEVER had a say. Similarly, no EPA hack should have the power to tell Americans how much CO2 they produce. You want to lower the standard of living you had bloody well get the Congress to go along.

What is wrong with leaded gasoline?

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13981
Down here in Georgia, we got a shit ton of invasive species fucking up shit: kudzu, English ivy, boll weevils, channeled applesnails, emerald ash borer, European gypsy moth, Hemlock woolly adelgid, phytopthora ramorum, grass carp, etc., etc., not to mention feral pigs . . .

As far as I can tell, there has been effectively ZERO progress in the containment/control, much less eradication of these destroyers.

From where I'm standing the "Environmental Protection Agency" looks like an absolute failure. If their FUCKING mission is to protect the FUCKING environment then get off their FUCKING asses, hire the staff and get down here to Georgia and kill off all these FUCKING invasive species.

I reckon it is much the same throughout the land: the real problems with the environment remain essentially ignored, neglected, and not even acknowledged by the EPA.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14552
Many of those problems are bieng addressed by the EPA and other agencies... DOA, Interior, etc. But the federal money for those efforts is miniscule. If you want big results you need to put more money into it.

Which we could do were we not pissing away $3/4trilion per year on military adventures and cold war defense of the EU.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:42 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13981
mdiehl wrote:
Many of those problems are bieng addressed by the EPA and other agencies... DOA, Interior, etc. But the federal money for those efforts is miniscule. If you want big results you need to put more money into it.

Which we could do were we not pissing away $3/4trilion per year on military adventures and cold war defense of the EU.

Any proof that "these problems are being addressed by the EPA and other agencies?

I know the EPA is big into regulating western farmers/ranchers use of their land, and hair-brained "save the planet" by regulating CO2 output schemes, but I honestly have NO idea that the EPA is the least bit concerned about actual environmental problems, i.e., invasive and feral species, habitat loss, exotic fungi, etc.

You can drone on about your loathing for our military budget all day but until I see PROOF that the EPA has ever or will ever take a real interest in real environmental issues, it sounds like just more of your pet ranting against the things you have decided are wrong and for the things you have decided are right. I will gladly read and be convinced by any such proof you are willing to provide. You just stated as a matter of fact that "are being addressed" so presumably it isn't too much of a stretch for you to hunt down one or two links?

I'll leave the question of the distribution of the Federal budget and whether or not merely "shifting" $3/4 trillion per year away from the military components would necessarily cause $3/4 trillion (or even $1 million) to become available for some other purpose.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:09 am 
Sergeant Major

I'm not eve sure invasive species are part of the EPA mandate. I am 100% sure regulation of CO2 is not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:17 am 
Sergeant Major

As I said, there is not a lot of money and not remotely sufficient. So what do you want for proof? Is a srarement of desire good enough? Also, EPA does not necessarily regulate kudzu. That is DOA. Bufflegrass? Here in AZ that's DOA and Interior. Pythons in FL? That's USFWS, and FL gfd people funded by Pittman Robertson money.

When the EPA regulates wastewater from big chicken and pig farms, that prevents some pretty nasty algae blooms, keeps oxy levels high enough to support fish, etc.

USDA on kudzu.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events/new ... -of-kudzu/

EPA on algae caused by nutrient overload

http://www.epa.gov/nutrientpollution/ha ... al-blooums

Here is an EPA grant program to tackle invasive species in NY. As you can see, the amt of money is tiny compared to the scale of the problem.

http://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-ann ... york-state

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:19 am 
Sergeant Major

I think kudzu propagates from cuttings. If you nuked the state with 1000 x 100 kt airbursts it would probably still survive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:22 am 
Sergeant Major

So, you can drone on about your loathing for environmental protection, but until I see some PROOF that large industries left unregulated wont crap up the air and water I will continue to dismiss the religion of antiregulation as a suicide cult led by sociopaths.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:32 am 
Sergeant Major

jack t ripper wrote:
I think kudzu propagates from cuttings. If you nuked the state with 1000 x 100 kt airbursts it would probably still survive.

Right. You probably cannot eradicate it without an engineered toxin, virus, orvfungus, and the blowback potential there is extreme. But I am pretty sure that a sustainable fund with real money to knock it back would help.

Of course, the money for it is pnuts.

The EPA gets 0.09 percent... yes... .0009 of total... of the 2018 budget

https://www.usaspending.gov/#/explorer/agency