maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Search underway for teenage soccer team trapped in Thai
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:15 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 12978
Well the boys seem to be safe and the tale will fade from memory.

But there's one item outstanding, how did that monk know they would be found viewtopic.php?p=332117#p332117

We all know miracles occurred long ago and as for psychic stuff, it happens all the time in Hollywood movies.

This is the first time I've had either happen smack dab in front of me.

Needs to be some scientific research.

Calling Anthropoid, your needed in research.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:41 am 
buck private

Monks in the video are wearing robes of different colors, the light, bright robes are worn by the majority of monks, the dark brown robes are warn by the more strict monks. 1:35

Forest Monks(?) http://www.hermitary.com/articles/thudong.html

A picture of the monk who made the prediction.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/n ... story.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:51 pm 
buck private

Just a nice lead in song.

Yesterday the boys from the cave started their period of meditation thanking Buddha for their rescue.

And a dam collapsed in Laos North of Thailand

If in Thailand the government would send out boats to rescue the stranded, am sure it's the same for Laos.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:05 am 
buck private

Flash flood

Is this what happened to the Soccer team?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:46 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
abradley wrote:
Flash flood

Is this what happened to the Soccer team?

Could be quite similar, with additional conditions of being in the dark, no roof, and underground. :shock:

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:16 am 
buck private

abradley wrote:

But there's one item outstanding, how did that monk know they would be found viewtopic.php?p=332117#p332117

We all know miracles occurred long ago and as for psychic stuff, it happens all the time in Hollywood movies.

Anthropoid isn't answering so maybe this guy has the answer:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:15 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
abradley wrote:
abradley wrote:

You're really more Jesuit than Catholic these days, eh? :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:32 pm 
buck private

Anthropoid wrote:
abradley wrote:

You're really more Jesuit than Catholic these days, eh? :D
No, more like an everyday priest who's been banished to an obscure parish because he ain't too smart but has an inquiring mind. ;)

Back on subject; normally I'd agree with what's his name in the video but in this instance I can't see trickery, can you?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15595
So you are asking about the monk's claim that "they will be found?" I don't read/speak Thai, so I don't know exactly what it was the monk conveyed. But saying "They will be found (whether that means, just plain FOUND [dead or alive], or whether it means found ALIVE, either way)" and then, them being found, doesn't strike me as in anyway suggestive of anything paranormal or supernatural.

Supposing the monk simply meant "found," dead or alive. Well of course. If the monk knew anything about that cave or caves in general, then he/she probably understood the reality that: its a big tube with lots of crevices, and alcoves and curves and rocks inside. Pretty hard for bodies to hide in that context. Someone who doesn't really know what a cave is, for example someone who suspects that "inside of a cave there are ways to fall down/get washed down bottomless pits or otherwise be swept into a space which is so vast or so complicated or so obscure that it is actually possible for the body to be truly LOST."

As far as I know, that very rarely has happened in caves. It obviously happens in the ocean, and it can happen on the surface wilderness, but a person or a body becoming truly LOST inside a cave is pretty unlikely, I would even say almost impossible.

The monk might have visited the cave many times in his life, and the monk might also understand how superstitious, or poorly informed most people are about caves and thus understood that saying "They will be found" would come across as being prophetic or supernatural. Anyone with any background in caves would have been able to tell you that: "They--or at least their bodies--will be found." Add to that "99% probability, we will be able to find the bodies," and you are good to go, perfectly empirical rationalist positivism, no need for any reference to any supernatural . . .

Now, IF the monk were actually alluding to the idea that they would be found ALIVE, but didn't say it, still nothing unusual here. He was just expressing a positive prediction, keeping people's morale up. Would be pretty unfitting for a religious leader to say "They are all dead, and the bodies will never be found!" :P

IF in fact, the monk specifically said "They will be found Allive," well he MIGHT have had some kind of supernatural prestidigitation, OR he might simply have been speculating, and it isn't hard to do in that specific instance. It is a 50/50 proposition, either alive or dead. 50% chance to be correct, and so what if he proved to be wrong? Not like anyone would take away his Buddhist merit badge if his expression of positive prediction at the outset proved to be wrong!

Now then, what would raise more questions of possible paranormal? Well like Randi said in the video, the specifics! IF the monk were able to express specifics at the time of his "prophecy" which he/she would not have been able to have knowledge without paranormal means THEN you'd have a possible supernatural event on your hands. Lets say the monk said "They will be found at 11:14 AM by the diver named Axel Rose. When the diver arrives in the chamber and rises up out of the water, the first boy to speak to him will be Sanja . . . etc., etc." then those things proved to be true: well then that would seem like a good superficial example of something that MIGHT be paranormal. But it could also be a HOAX! :mrgreen:

As far as I'm aware, in almost every instance where such inscrutable details were foretold, further examination proved the events to have been the result of collusion among the parties involved and a deliberate hoax. I doubt that would have happened in this case, but in the event of such specific foretelling that would be the first thing to query for a skeptic like me or Randi.

Anyway, "Supernatural" DOES happen (or at least it seems to): Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and various other phenomena in physics strike me as basically "magic!" Eventually, these things might be understood for what they really are and not simply placed in these "x variable . . . we don't know wtf this is" categories. But for now, they effectively are "magic" as far as I can tell.

Some of the other paradoxes in quantum mechanics also count I think: This video is a good example

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18257
abradely, the monk didn't get a vision into the future.

James Randii, you posted, held a million in escrow to anyone who could prove paranormal and maybe still does. Randii was 32 yo when you were born, abrad. He's an old charlatan who knows all the tricks. Intersting you'd post James Randii video - he can bend/break spoons w/ his mind and shows that it's all trickery.

The monk either knew someone who'd informed im, or he'd predicted they'd be found every day, or he needs to collect Randii's million there to be had.

Andy, once the boys were located was this monk immediately made a consultant by the experts? Did he predict/help plan via his predictions the evacuation?

Did he predict 1 rescuer would die?

Discuss this w/ Ning, she'll straighten you out ;) Or does she agree that some form of magic was conducted?

Randi is an entertainer, and very keen on trickery. I'd think anyone would find this - his analysis interesting.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next