maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: French troops fighting Houthis in Yemen
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:13 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 9407
The choice of our allies seems questionable. It is true that they have oil and that they buy our weapons.

French troops fighting Houthis in Yemen alongside UAE forces

Quote:
rench Special Forces are on the ground in Yemen actively fighting Shii'te Houthi rebels, French daily Le Figaro reported on Saturday.

Le Figaro quoted unnamed military sources as saying that French Special Forces were fighting in Yemen alongside troops from the United Arab Emirates (UAE)

.../...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: French troops fighting Houthis in Yemen
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13177
Interesting ... I think it is the Longstreet character in the Gettysburg movie who says something like "War is a nightmare, pick your nightmare side and get to it" ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
... On Friday, the French Defense Ministry said it was considering taking part in mine-sweeping operations to facilitate access to Yemen's strategic Al-Hudeidah seaport, which Yemeni government forces -- with the help of a Saudi-led military coalition -- are now trying to wrest from the Houthis.

The ministry stressed, however, that French forces were not currently taking part in the ongoing military operations in Al-Hudeidah ...

So, I guess the French released that statement at the exact moment the orders went to the troops to engage in active operations. That way the French announcers could be sure the statement was true at that exact instant, though perhaps no longer true 15 minutes later.

:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:33 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
LaPalice wrote:
The choice of our allies seems questionable. It is true that they have oil and that they buy our weapons.

When it comes to muslim nations, all sides are usually the wrong ones to be on. :?

I've become a firm believer that they should be left to kill each other off in their own countries, as is their wont, while keeping their bullshit contained there. Maybe, eventually, Islam will get it's much needed internal reformation, if they ever tire of their old antagonistic & supremacist anti-secular values causing so much stagnation and misery.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:34 am 
Staff Sergeant

jwilkerson wrote:
Quote:
... On Friday, the French Defense Ministry said it was considering taking part in mine-sweeping operations to facilitate access to Yemen's strategic Al-Hudeidah seaport, which Yemeni government forces -- with the help of a Saudi-led military coalition -- are now trying to wrest from the Houthis.

The ministry stressed, however, that French forces were not currently taking part in the ongoing military operations in Al-Hudeidah ...

So, I guess the French released that statement at the exact moment the orders went to the troops to engage in active operations. That way the French announcers could be sure the statement was true at that exact instant, though perhaps no longer true 15 minutes later.

:)

It is the typical case when the government wants to disclose something to the public that should remain secret. And the special operations led by special force must remain secret in theory. But I don't see the interest of disclosing that operation, as in my opinion, an intervention in the war in Yemen would be very unpopular in the public opinion. Maybe the French government wants to test that public opinion?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:40 am 
Staff Sergeant

NefariousKoel wrote:
LaPalice wrote:

When it comes to muslim nations, all sides are usually the wrong ones to be on. :?

I've become a firm believer that they should be left to kill each other off in their own countries, as is their wont, while keeping their bullshit contained there. Maybe, eventually, Islam will get it's much needed internal reformation, if they ever tire of their old antagonistic & supremacist anti-secular values causing so much stagnation and misery.

It is exactly the point. We should let them kill themselves and just counting the losses. I don't see anything good coming from such intervention. Disclosing it is a mistake, because the public opinion will not like it, and now the Iranians know that we are their enemies. It is a quagmire and it is stupid to have a foot in it. There might be a backlash.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:01 am 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
“The coalition between Ali Abdullah Saleh and Houthi’s [Ansarallah forces] was artificial,” said Hossein Mousvian, former Iranian diplomat and present visiting research scholar at Princeton University, US.

He made the remarks in an interview with China National TV’s Global Network also attended by other analysts including Afshin Moulavi from Johns Hopkins University, while commenting on the impacts of the death of the Yemeni president on the peace process in Yemen.

Ali Abdullah Saleh was killed on December 4 in clashes with the country's popular forces.

“Saleh used to play a double role, as on the one hand, he has forged an artificial alliance with the Houthi’s and on the other hand, he held talks with the Saudis and the Emiratis confidentially and behind the scene,” Mousavian said.

He added that Saleh’s death will contribute to Yemen peace process as his double acting has prompted Saudis and the Emiratis to count on him, never being ready for serious negotiations with Houthi’s (Ansarallah forces).

“Now time is ripe for the Saudis to talk with Houthi’s following the demise of Saleh,” Mousavian said, urging the UN to step forward strongly and lead Yemen peace talks involving Houti’s and all Yemeni groups.

“In the first stage, ceasefire should be declared, prompting all sides to stop war. Afterwards, a government involving all tribes and political currents should be elected through a free election, bringing an end to the calamity in the poorest Arab country,” Mousavian suggested.

Asked about Iran’s role in establishing peace in Yemen, the former diplomat said that many exaggerations have been made about Iran’s role, as Saudi Arabia and the UAE have formed the most powerful coalition of the Arab world army and have been pounding the country and Houthi’s round the clock for two years.

“Everyone accepts that Iran is not engaged in the war directly,” Mousavian said.

He further noted that reaching a final agreement in Yemen was so likely a few months ago but it was the Saudi Arabia that halted the process.

“The US with its strong army has also been extending full support to the Saudi-led alliance,” he added.

“If those who claimed are really confident that Iran, through its indirect presence, has defeated the most powerful army in the world (US) and the strongest alliance of the Arab world’s armies in Yemen, then I suggest them to immediately rush to Tehran and talk with Iran for peace,” Mousavian said.

He added that Iran has always been ready for talks with Saudi Arabia and the UAE to resolve the crisis in Yemen and restore peace and stability in that country.

“This is the Saudi Arabia that has to decide whether it wants to talks with Iran or not,” concluded the analyst.

Not seeing the turbans mentioning the frogs ... news updates often run behind in the land of the turbans as there is a lot of levels of "review" needed ...

http://www.irna.ir/en/News/82755213

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:43 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Maybe, if the UAE is using some French-supplied weapons..SAM's, ATGM's or arty...I can see French advisors being helpful..otherwise this seems like a bad idea.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:07 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2702
From what I read the French Navy employed a minesweeper to clear the way for an amphibious assault by some 2000 UAE troops previously trained by the US in Eritrea, across the Red Sea. At some later point the Houthis (or maybe their Iranian advisors?) employed an artillery missile to hit the landing beach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Al_Hudaydah
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTR-21_Tochka

The wiki article which got regular updates has been static since the 16th, checking the news both sides claim killing lots of enemies. Both agree on the Tochka use AFAICT.

The assault on the airport seems to have stalled stalled, courtesy of IEDs, however the UAE is claiming to have taken "large parts" of the airport, but then they spoke of such on the 15th.

Quote:
Saudi-led coalition captures large areas of Yemen's Hodeidah airport - UAE

ADEN (Reuters) - Arab coalition troops stormed the airport in Yemen’s main port Hodeidah on Tuesday and captured large areas of the compound in battles with Iran-aligned Houthis, a Yemeni military source, the UAE news agency and local residents said.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-yemen ... KKBN1JF0FN
To be taken with a grain of salt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:08 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
... Saudi-led coalition captures large areas of Yemen's Hodeidah airport ...

I think the words "captured large areas of" ... are synonymous with "were repulsed in their attempt to capture" ... and that goes for all military reports across all time :D

Profile E-mail