maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Doctor
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:25 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17757
too bad I didn't grow up around an alcoholic b/c this would scare the shit out of me too and I'd never touch it. bottoms up I guess. gesh.

err I'm probably lucky I didn't grow up around an alcoholic.

past bedtime. night, gents.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

I think my little lady has about had it. She's stumbling, falling over. She deteriorated fast. Prolly put her down tomorrow.

Sry for crying a bit. We've all lost pets it's always sad.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:23 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Very hard. Sounds like things are not going well. I would say trust the vet's advice after you explain your wishes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:18 am 
Sergeant Major

I gave her one of her pills yesterday b/c she looked sad. Then she started spazming and falling over. Then she passed out cold. Stayed up til 4am petting her while she snored. This morning I feared she might be dead or I was going to have her put down.

But she was up this morning walking around w/ her sister (the ladies wake up when I wake up b/c they get soft food for breakfast) waiting for breakfast like always. Then she went outside for a while like usual. It's her routine. I reckon the medicine was just too powerful for her. I'm not having her put down yet.

I'll know when it's time, and thought it was. But it's not. She should have 4-6 months. When she's suffering and falls off her routine I'll have it done.

sry for long/boring post. You guys are my therapists.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:08 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5144
As long as an animal eats you still have time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:18 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 11838
Sorry for your pain Chicken. Trust your decisions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:21 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
jack t ripper wrote:
Gabapentin is used for chronic pain disorders and for epilepsy in humans with scientific evidence to support it. It is NOT an opiate. I am not familiar with the veterinary evidence but it is at least reasonable form a biologic standpoint that there are similar brain pathways in other mammals. It is very hard to have sick pets. I actually am more fond of my dog (Pinhead) than I am my 17 year old stepdaughter because the dog never tells me to "fuck off" ;)

I think you just have to decide how much you trust your vet. I have a great vet out here. Everybody loves the guy.

Think I took that for a brief time to help curb the radiating nerve pain going into my legs due to my spinal injuries.

It didn't give me a drug high or elation or anything that I recall. On the other hand, I also don't recall it making much of a difference so I stopped taking it after a few months.

As for opiates, I have good & bad things to say. Being in constant pain for years (literally) I'm glad that I have them in order to be able to function somewhat normally for short periods of time. It really does help.

Before I got them, I had increasingly self-medicated with alcohol and had been drinking large amounts every night for awhile, years ago. I'm talking buying an 18-pack of beer every afternoon, after work, and hardly having any left the next morning. This wasn't social drinking, as I had regularly done from my teens into my 30s; it was slamming them ASAP because I hurt so bad after working a whole day while my years-long spinal injuries ground away & got worse. Enough to make my face noticeably bloat up like an obvious alcoholic after many months. It was also messing with my ulcer (which began a short time after my first permanent spinal injury) and making it worse, among other things.

I finally had an epiphany of this while looking at my bloated red face in the mirror one day. Knew I needed to get my chronic pain treated instead of taking that expensive & damaging path further.

After getting put on pain meds, I drink an average of once ... maybe twice a month, and not anywhere near as much. I practically stopped drinking after getting pain meds, and it has probably saved and extended my life along with pulling my mental state out of the absolute gutter, where it was back in the mid-to-late 2000s due to the pain.

I'm not denying it has downsides. I don't like when it makes me drowsy, which it regularly does to some small degree. I often don't take the full recommended daily amount, and don't feel as if I need more & more. Regularly only take half a one and space it out more - partly to keep the drowsiness away. I'm not a hopeless addict when it comes to drugs; don't have the addictive tendency thankfully. My father was like that in his final years, going nuts like a withdrawing heroine addict with senility and memory issues on top, making it worse. It was disgusting to see & horrible to deal with, and makes me even more wary. Those types of addictive personalities are the reason there are problems and the reason such heavy regulation is used, and I'm glad they keep a lid on it.

I also don't like how every goddamn painkiller seems to have a dose of Acetomenaphin in it. The shit is in more than one med I've had. It never did anything for me, so I'd rather not take it at all. Especially since it can cause cirrhosis past some point. I'm assured that won't happen if I'm taking as prescribed, but I'd rather not have it at all. Makes me wonder whether acetomeniphin manufacturers got some pretty good deals going. :|

Anyway.. I've seen both sides of the pro & con regarding opiate pain meds. I've seen how it turns some personality types into crazy emotional addicts always screaming for more (dad) but I've also been taking it, as prescribed, for years and it actually helped me get out of bed, get around, and do a few things every day without quickly grinding down into increasingly painful despair.

My mental health is much better than it used to be when my chronic pain was untreated. That benefit is pretty big to discount. If I had a family member who was sick, and in constant pain, I'd certainly want to help ease it. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15095
We lost our older Dachshund about 9 months ago. I had been expecting her to close in on deaths door for literally years, but she was tough. Your buddies here have already given you some good advice, but one other thing you might check into a bit in advance is having the euthanasia done at home instead of carting her to the vet office. Our vet who takes care of their regular health visits doesn't do this, but there is a vet who we called in to perform the euthnasia at home. It was a tearful episode, but much easier for the animal and the humans for the end to be sitting at home together in comfort right through the final moment. I think it cost us about $250 for this one 45 minute house call, but it was worth it. Probably only 30% or so more than having it done in an exam room.

The other thing is to think ahead about the funerary arrangements. In my case I had dug a hole in the front yard that morning, once we realized it was time.

Not sure of the statistics, but I suspect that very few pets "die a natural death." They are tough, and having lived posh lives they can hang on long after one of their wild cousins would have succumbed in one way or another. It generally falls to us stewards of the animals life to decide when their lingering and suffering needs to draw to a close and it is time to call in the professional with the lethal injection. I hope that doesn't sound terrible; it isn't meant to be. Just the truth, and I think it is easier to cope with that way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 1334
Anthropoid wrote:
We lost our older Dachshund about 9 months ago. I had been expecting her to close in on deaths door for literally years, but she was tough. Your buddies here have already given you some good advice, but one other thing you might check into a bit in advance is having the euthanasia done at home instead of carting her to the vet office. Our vet who takes care of their regular health visits doesn't do this, but there is a vet who we called in to perform the euthnasia at home. It was a tearful episode, but much easier for the animal and the humans for the end to be sitting at home together in comfort right through the final moment. I think it cost us about $250 for this one 45 minute house call, but it was worth it. Probably only 30% or so more than having it done in an exam room.

The other thing is to think ahead about the funerary arrangements. In my case I had dug a hole in the front yard that morning, once we realized it was time.

Not sure of the statistics, but I suspect that very few pets "die a natural death." They are tough, and having lived posh lives they can hang on long after one of their wild cousins would have succumbed in one way or another. It generally falls to us stewards of the animals life to decide when their lingering and suffering needs to draw to a close and it is time to call in the professional with the lethal injection. I hope that doesn't sound terrible; it isn't meant to be. Just the truth, and I think it is easier to cope with that way.

:(

I have not followed this thread at all, but I have fond memories of one badger dog who with my family almost 14 years. I have no intention to hijack this thread, I would participate in a Dachshund Stories thread if you feel like starting one. ;)

For original topic, I am so sorry. :(

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:18 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 18648
This thread is hitting me right in the feels. :(

Attachment:
1529102081253.jpg
1529102081253.jpg [ 100.03 KiB | Viewed 152 times ]

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail