maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Not Your Usual USA Shooting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:50 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
jwilkerson wrote:
Quote:
... It all depends on what W's wife wants to do and what is the concern ...

In general, we want to protect our livestock. We want to prevent predators from disturbing the critters under our care. We both want to do that. So do all the neighbors, but we try different methods. :)

The Livestock Guard Dog idea seems to be something newish around here that two neighbors have tried recently that seems to make a big difference. We want to get on the list for an LGD pup.

How do you fight "dogs" ? Well, I guess with DOGs !!! :)

==

This is a Maremma, what one of our neighbors have. They have adult male and female and the female is pregnant. So we want to get one of the puppies.

Beautiful dog. Perhaps doesn't like chicken. Doesn't look well adapted to heat, however. :) Big enough to scare of coyotes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:01 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
Yes the heat is an issue ... the dogs like this we know around here though happen to live near creeks and along the creek banks there is shade. And so the dogs can take dips in the water and hang out in the shade where it is much cooler feeling due to no direct sun.

Our land also has a creek system through it on the diagonal.

==
True LDGs somehow have genetics to support them adopting livestock as their sibblings. We just have to build a pen for the puppy right beside the chickens and the dog will adopt them

http://stoneybrookworkingdogs.com/raising-a-livestock-guardian-dog/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:05 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16336
jwilkerson wrote:
Yes the heat is an issue ... the dogs like this we know around here though happen to live near creeks and along the creek banks there is shade. And so the dogs can take dips in the water and hang out in the shade where it is much cooler feeling due to no direct sun.

Our land also has a creek system through it on the diagonal.

==
True LDGs somehow have genetics to support them adopting livestock as their sibblings. We just have to build a pen for the puppy right beside the chickens and the dog will adopt them

http://stoneybrookworkingdogs.com/raising-a-livestock-guardian-dog/

Brilliant stuff. You gotta hand it to our "pre-scientific" ancestors, they really had a good understanding of artificial selection. Sounds like they will even bond to multiple different species of herd animal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:13 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 6135
It's got to be able to survive a brutal winter too...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:35 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
mdiehl wrote:

My next acquisition, which will be in 2019 barring financial weirdness, will be a Ruger Blackhawk convertible (comes with two cylinders... .45 Colt and .45ACP).

A girl's father had a collection of revolvers, back when I was in high school, and he had a pair of matching Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colts. We took those and his .357mag (also with birdshot) shooting in the countryside one afternoon while her old man was out of town. Was some stupid youthful joy, getting to dual-fist a pair of .45 revolvers fucking cowboy-style. :lol:

Perhaps my hands were a bit too large, but I recall the Blackhawk grip's heavy arch never quite felt good in my hand. Not compared to many other pistols. Dad had one in .44mag and it always felt like the grip was trying to help the recoil rotate it in my grip. I recall having to remind myself to move my grip lower all the time, between shots, but my palm and pinky would be hanging out beyond the bottom a bit so the natural inclination was to choke-up. Those were models from probably 30+ years ago, though, so may be different dimensions than today, dunno.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15927
They make the blackhawk in two grip styles... "western" and "Bisley." The Bisley has alot of arch to it. I do not know which I will choose... gonna have to hold them and if I can find a place that will let me shoot one, test them.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:15 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
If the yotes (whether Husky or real yote) are near the chickens, she would want to shoot a bullet over their heads to give all nearby parties a start. That might turn the yote around and might give a chicken a chance to run into the inner coop where it would be safer. If the yote is clear from the chickens then shooting shot-shell within 40yds would most likely turn it around and run it off. The revolver would give her the chance to select the round she would fire, if she practices that a lot.

This is a problem for my wife too. my problem is usually foxes... but still the same equation. If you even get a shot it's a fast moving, way longer than handgun shot.... And she had absolutely no desire to carry around and worry about a heavy long gun or carry and shoot a big revolver.... What I did was get a small kid size single shot .410 at a pawn shop for $100... I keep it in the garage in a vinyl case next to the shovels.... What my Gramps used to call the barn gun... It was always a few steps away or it would get thrown in the wheel barrel along with the shovel or whatever the project of the day was... It gets oiled once a year whether it needs it or not... and it's always there if you need it....

A step up might be something like this.... with an assortment of loads... Key idea being cheap and indestructible...

She really enjoys shooting that.... no practice needed...very easy use.... it's a bit like the M1 carbine solution for this problem...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16336
You know, the more I read up all about all the features of this Springfield XDM-40 Compact 3.8" barrel, the happier I am I bought it. The more I have empty drilled with it (and worn it around the house with my cheapo external $15 plastic holster it came with, but turned "backwards" so I wear it as a IWB) the more I realize: this gun is completely carryable. No real need to get anything else!

So, just gotta get the dang ball rolling on that permit, keep on unload drilling routinely till I get the CCW and get in some range time (I got 1000 rounds of reloaded to expend!) and probably by Sept or Oct I will have joined the "Initiate Conceal Carry" ranks.

There was some kind of "Psionic" skill in System Shock 2, I forget the exact name of it . . .something like "Mechanical Empathy" basically meaning: the more you handle and actuate a small machine like a pistol (and this skill specifically did modify the players effectiveness with firearms in particular, maybe laser pistols too) the better you get at feeling comfortable and proficient with it. I've never heard of any such concept in the psychological or behavioral sciences, but there really must be something to it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:13 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Wearing it around the house is one thing.... take it shopping at Walmart this weekend...get in and out of the car and not be constantly readjusting and fiddling with it...... a gun you can throw in your pocket along with your keys is whole lot more carryable...

Like most of the new ccw paper cowboys out there you really won't be much good to anybody until you've shot it many times in many different circumstances.... shooting a paper OBL with a guy looking over your shoulder is a poor substitute for the real world.... Find a place you can walk around and simply shoot stuff.... that's where you'll cross the line to being really effective....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
Quote:
... the more you handle and actuate a small machine like a pistol (and this skill specifically did modify the players effectiveness with firearms in particular, maybe laser pistols too) the better you get at feeling comfortable and proficient with it. I've never heard of any such concept ...

Oh I have .. I call it "muscle memory" ... and it applies across the board. As I said earlier ... playing "Scales and Chords" on the piano ... up and down the keyboard with both hands, perfecting "crossing over" so a listener cannot even tell how hard you are working to keep a steady pace as you keep climbing up or down the keyboard. I think I did that for two hours every day for six months ... I'm sure my parents were not thrilled ... BUT .. they were both musicians and had been since they were pre-teens ... and my mother was a piano player, so she had to do the same thing many years before.

==
So are firearms any different than pianos? At a high level no. The integrated act of drawing and firing is of sufficient complexity to require many repetitions. Especially when you toss in the idea that most of the clothing you will wear, might require an adjustment to your draw. So take all the drawing / dry firing practice you did in the house, and then repeat it with 24 different jackets and shirts :) ...

And when you live fire, do you wear ear pro? If you ever have to fire in anger will you be surprised by the noise? I don't always wear ear pro when I shoot the pistol or the shotgun. Maybe I do 80% to 90% of the time ... but I want to remember what it sounds and feels like.

==
Here, and I'm sure where you are, there are classes for concealed carry people, that attempt to make you uncomfortable, as I call it "take you out of your comfort zone" ... if you did that all day, every day for 2 years, THEN you would be in pretty good shape. If you do it less, you will be less ready. But being as ready as you can be, is a good idea. I've know two real people, that shoot 100rds per day, 5 days a week. I am not among them, but I'm up to 50 trigger pulls per day, be in live fire or dry fire. And that's 7 days a week.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next