maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Not Your Usual USA Shooting
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14177

This is from about Feb 2015 ... about 70yds from the house. I heard the yotes yipping, grabbed the thermal and sneaked out on the front porch and filmed this with thermal. At one point I bark, so they will detect me. The one still on the bales at that point yawns :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:40 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5144
mdiehl wrote:
Bear spray does not deter via smell. It deters by the use of a mucal inflammatory that irritates the eyes, mouth and nose... capsaicin... in concentrations about 1/20th of that found in pepper spray used on people. If Gump was smelling it a month after use, then he was probably trying to "huff" it rather than deter animals with it.

The usual mcdoodle pseudo science... any nitwit knows what it is...have you ever actually sprayed some ? Or been around where it was sprayed ? We had a security guy in a huge warehouse unload a bottle trying to scare a raccoon out of the building... a huge open air building with 40 foot ceilings.... after it was over we still had people getting sick and refusing to work in there a month later.... Voluntarily spraying it around your property or your chickens would be a stupid fucking thing to do professor...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
No, you didn't. You've never seen it, never used it, and never been anywhere where it has been used. It's obvious when you're talking out your ass... which is, regrettably for anyone who imagines you to have an informed opinion, pretty much ALL THE TIME.

You don't know the first thing about it. Likewise, you don't know the first thing about coyotes mr "they never come within 100 yards," don't know the first thing about optics "mr. they do not make it easier to see things at night," and know next to nothing about firearms mr. "it will never fire unless the trigger is squeezed."

You're a purblind fool. Anyone who has experience with these things knows it. Anyone that does not would be endangering themselves if they followed your guidance.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
... It all depends on what W's wife wants to do and what is the concern ...

In general, we want to protect our livestock. We want to prevent predators from disturbing the critters under our care. We both want to do that. So do all the neighbors, but we try different methods. :)

The Livestock Guard Dog idea seems to be something newish around here that two neighbors have tried recently that seems to make a big difference. We want to get on the list for an LGD pup.

How do you fight "dogs" ? Well, I guess with DOGs !!! :)

==

This is a Maremma, what one of our neighbors have. They have adult male and female and the female is pregnant. So we want to get one of the puppies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
Right. That is why bear spray. Typically has a max range of 25 feet, its directional, and it comes out in a reasonably tight cone. For ex:

http://www.outsideonline.com/2115456/whats-bear-spray

It will screw with any animal you hit.. probably that doesn't need to be said but apparently Gimp thinks you might hose your chickens with it because the idea makes sense to him. It disperses with water, and is broken down by uv and ir. It makes a sprayed area nasty for about one day unless you hose it down.

(Don't huff it or you will suffer from blindness when using optics and you'll become delusionally convinced that you're a ninja.)

The point is, the coyote needs to feel threatened... which is what the spray will do if he's close enough. Otherwise it just comes back. Bear spray will cure the neighbor's dogs' fascination with your yard without killing the dog.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:11 pm 
Staff Sergeant

I think it's painfully obvious to anyone that actually reads your silly advice that you're simply a desperately needy and pathetic dreamer that wants so desperately to be seen as an accomplished outdoorsman that you feel compelled to constantly add your 2 cents worth of advice when all you really have to go on is the 1 cent you got from reading this months issue of Outdoor Life....

Tell Wilkerson again about that .22 WMR and that buckshot for getting rid of coyotes.... :roll: 25 feet eh ? …. good choice.... excellent advice for dealing coyotes...

Quote:
Because it’s oil-based, capsicum is also sticky and tenacious. “If it’s discharged in a campground, the area is dead to the world for 24 hours,” says George Hyde, general manager of Counter Assault, the oldest manufacturer of bear spray. “Walk across the ground and it’ll become reatomized. Spray it on your tent or clothing and you’ll probably never use those things again.”

Yes this is what we guessed was happening in the warehouse... fork trucks would kick up dust and the dust still irritated peoples eyes and lungs a month later... so by all means spray a bunch around your property and animals...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:09 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15095
I recommend getting two puppies. I've never done that before, but from here on out, every time I get a new dog, my goal is to get two puppies from the same litter. While two puppies might seem like more of a handful than one, and more difficulty to train, I actually think it would be easier and better for them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:00 am 
Sergeant Major

Well, the lady that has them might have 30 people wanting 6 puppies, so in this case, we might be lucky to get one!

I like the idea of getting a second one in say 2 years.

But I want the 1st "outdoor dog" to bond to the livestock more than the other blood sibling. So, I think in this case, we want one first. Then once the one is adult and is settled in to the LGD role, we can get second one. The first one will teach the second one.

The LGD must essentially think the chickens are her sibblings. She will be penned up adjacent to the chicken run. We have to train her in two ways, to think the chickens are her sibblings and to obey us humans, to think we are the alpha dogs. And the presence of a second real sibbling would seem to complexify this process.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:15 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15095
jwilkerson wrote:
Well, the lady that has them might have 30 people wanting 6 puppies, so in this case, we might be lucky to get one!

I like the idea of getting a second one in say 2 years.

But I want the 1st "outdoor dog" to bond to the livestock more than the other blood sibling. So, I think in this case, we want one first. Then once the one is adult and is settled in to the LGD role, we can get second one. The first one will teach the second one.

The LGD must essentially think the chickens are her sibblings. She will be penned up adjacent to the chicken run. We have to train her in two ways, to think the chickens are her sibblings and to obey us humans, to think we are the alpha dogs. And the presence of a second real sibbling would seem to complexify this process.

Ah good points! A herd guard dog actually, you probably DO NOT want a second dog on hand at the outset! ;) Bond to the chickens is obviously the goal!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:40 am 
Staff Sergeant

I've heard that this works also.... much better than chemical repellents like wolf urine / ammonia...... It seems to make sense... coyotes certainly live through their ears... If sound can lure them it should also be able to deter them..

http://www.runcoyoterun.com/

A simple sound system with some motion detectors around the chicken yard.... If nothing else the sound would also let you know when they're there....

Last edited by Gump on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next